Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another stand thread

Anyway ... looking back I think the aluminum A-frame was (is,) a great stand. It was easy to set up, held three boards and was light. I would like to see a resurgence of using aluminum tubing again but using it like a Gibraltar module stands. A friend of mine made me a very handy tiny digital piano stand using the parts of an A-frame. It has a single tube and at each end is a "T," and the four legs are attached to the end of the "T." The piano sits on the "T" parts at each end.

I'm too old and lazy to design a stand but I think there would be a market for creative aluminum stands that are light, easy to set up and take down and are module so they can be adapted for future needs. I'm interested in 2-tier designs.

I think stands today are too heavy. I don't need a stand to hold 250 lbs. My current setup is less than 60 lbs for two keyboards.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

There are quite a few stand designs and manufacturers currently available - certainly more than there have ever been in generations past. Physics and cost of light weight materials when trying to meet a price point, I would imagine are the biggest factors in the designs they"ve come up with. But I agree completely - sturdy, light weight and compact break down with the right aesthetics for your gig are the priority. There must be better ideas than we"ve seen yet.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I have had the Baby Spider Pro for many years now. It is all aluminum and folds up into a single piece. Excellent design, except they are very expensive now.

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

I just ordered a Hamilton KB7700 stand from Full Compass. I read the KC thread about this stand and the negative comments are from people with no experience with the stand. They think that it *looks* like it will fail, not that it has. Reviews on Amazon say it's wobbly. I'll find out what it's really like and report back. I have X stands, table stands, spider stands and a Stay stand. I play standing up on a Nord 5D and double on sax. I need a stand that goes high enough and I want it to have room at the bottom for volume/swell pedal. I'd like it to be lightweight and easy to set up and take down and load in and out. The Hamilton stand looks like it does all this. I like my Stay stand because it breaks down and fits in a slender bag. But it takes time to set up and take down and there's not good room at the bottom. I'd like a stand that I can fold up and throw in the trunk or back seat. I can do that with my table stand but it's heavy and still takes time to set up and take down. Table stands also take up more real estate on postage-stamp stages (or the floor next to the rest rooms). I'm only playing outdoors now, but may return to indoors eventually. Got an indoors bar gig at end of Oct. where band sets up in a line against a wall, no stage. If the Hamilton stand works for that, I'll let you know.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I've been using the K&M 'Spider' for about a year now. I really like it! A couple of notes, though; it might not be for everybody.

• It works great as a 1-tier stand. Not quite so well with a 2nd tier -- at least, not with the shorter model. There isn't enough room to fold up the top tier, so it kind of sticks out in the bag. Still usable, but offering a '2nd tier option' is a bit of a stretch, unless one leaves it in the studio.

• The only choices for the 2nd tier are a) flat, like the other tier; or b) at a 15 degree angle down. I personally think that 15 degrees is a little too much. I wish they offered a 10-degree version. I used that setup with my Standtastic stand for years, and it was arguably better than the two close-spaced horizontal keyboards on a B-3.

Regards,

-BW

Regards,

-BW

--

Bruce Wahler

Halfmoon-Switch.com

http://halfmoon-switch.com

bw@wahler.us

Somebody needs to revive the classic Invisible Stand. It was a great lightweight but sturdy design that held 2 keyboards close together. I still have mine, but use it to hold racks and a laptop.

Keyboard Stand from the 1980s called 'Invisible'?

Invisible was next stand after the A-frame since I was only using two boards and I also had a shelf option, which I had my MKS20 piano module. My only complaint was top board was limited when trying to get it hovering over bottom, like a dual organ manuals. I agree it was a top design. I did have to replace the tightening mechanism many times.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I love my Quick Lok Aluminum Z stand. This stand is so light and easy to maneuver. Plus its extremely steady and leaves all that room for pedals.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I need to change the rear upper tier to a tele lock instead of the stock spaced set up so the upper tier can be fine tuned to the lower board or tier.

Plixio Stand mod 5-2-.jpg

2356.thumb.jpg.e60e91bb29c3d8b2ce4fefdb9315c8b8.jpg

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

I'm with you on lightening the load, for this reason I've recently switched to the K&M 18880 with 18881 stacker.

https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/keyboard-tables/18880-table-style-keyboard-stand-black

- lightweight .... 3.19kg

- folds flat for easy transport

- sets up in seconds

- table style (my preference) so no obstruction to pedals/boards etc

- very stable.

Very happy with it so far.

I'm with you on lightening the load, for this reason I've recently switched to the K&M 18880 with 18881 stacker.

https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/keyboard-tables/18880-table-style-keyboard-stand-black

- lightweight .... 3.19kg

- folds flat for easy transport

- sets up in seconds

- table style (my preference) so no obstruction to pedals/boards etc

- very stable.

Very happy with it so far.

Hey, can you tell me the size of the rectangular tubing on the second tier of this stand? I want to know if it could fit this mic attachment. It needs to be1 inch wide:

https://www.amazon.com/KSA7575-Universal-Keyboard-Microphone-Attachment/dp/B0010GNU9Q/ref=pd_ybh_a_36?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=AY9B033SB89KNZE18ED7&th=1

Thanks!

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

Hey, can you tell me the size of the rectangular tubing on the second tier of this stand? I want to know if it could fit this mic attachment. It needs to be1 inch wide:
If you don't get a reply on this forum, you can contact K&M directly using the email addresses on their contact page: https://www.k-m.de/brand/en/support/support/

I've used it and they are responsive.

Cheers, Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Re-reading this thread, I saw that El Lobo had ordered the Hamilton stand and had planned to use it at a gig at the end of October. El Lobo - as it is now November, I am wondering if the stand arrived in time for the gig, and if so, what your impressions were of the stability and practicality of this stand?

I ordered THIS STAND. It looks like a stand that can be customized if I can't get top keyboard close enough to bottom keyboard. I gave up my dream to create a wooden tier like I'm doing for my M-audio 61es/mojo61. The length with DP is 54" and I realized it wouldn't fit easily in my car with my boards/amps.

I like the design of stand and that it is not a monolith (apex,) a z stand, or a table top model.

If it doesn't work it goes back for refund.

At a recent gig I borrowed my buddy's copy of a Stay stand (you heard that right, it's a knock-off of the Stay by some no-name company). It has 3 tiers and is made of aluminum, it basically is the stay stand in every way but name. Not the sturdy Tower one, but the thinner one.

I was impressed. I was doing a one-keyboard show and this thing is super-light and easy to put together. It basically is my Spider Pro but much lighter and without attached arms or legs. That is actually a plus in one way, you can very easy slide the arm connectors off or on the stand if you need to.

Two down sides: I'm too tall to use it for 3 keyboards, not that I was *seriously* considering doing that anyway. And it has no mic stand connector like my spider pro, which I beefed up from the one that came with it. I love not having to bring a mic stand.

I could use the 3rd stand under my keyboards as a shelf to hold what I'm now putting on a pedalboard, that is a thought.

One unknown is how it would handle a bigger, heavier board if I get an 88 to gig with.