Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thoughts on Korg Minilogue

I know this board has been around for awhile now, but as I've been window-shopping synths, I realized that while the cover-many-bases VA board is very useful, I already sort of have that covered, but I don't have an analog synth anywhere in my collection. It looks intuitive, sounds pretty cool, fairly low-profile, and a reasonable price point. Wondering if anyone here owns/used to own/plays one and what your experience has been!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Minilogue XD module. I like it a lot! Check it out against the regular Monologue. (Effects, digital multiengine, more patches, different filter)

Big sound, I like the layout, feels solid, wide variety of capable sounds.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Minilogue XD is on my wishlist. Only had a shot in store, but it's hella fun, and can sound huge. The effects and user-made oscillators can really make it stand out. Low profile too.

The module version is also one of the few synths available to include the pitch bend/mod sticks without the keyboard, which may be something handy to bear in mind when thinking about possible set ups.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

I had a Minilogue XD a few years back. Agree with Rod S's statement about the XD version; it has a bold and distinct sound.

Ultimately sold the Minilogue XD, and picked up a Blofeld keyboard - wanting full-size keys, and thinking the Blofeld's VA was strong enough to scratch my analog 'itch' at the time. It didn't quite do that.

The Minilogue XD could be an excellent fit for your purposes, though you might want to compare the sound and functions of a Prologue 8 to it.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I think the Minilogue is a great bargain for a real analog synth. I was excited about the XD until I saw the front panel. The EGs on the regular Minilogue are ADSRs. The XD has less in the EG department. Totally ruined it for me. Korg should know better than to create an upscale version of a synth and then take away important features.

I found the Minilogue to be kind of pale and anemic sounding. There isn't much "fullness" to the sound, depending on what kind of sounds you are after. It did really excel at retro, lo-fi, almost BBC Radiophonic Workshop kinds of experimental patches. Lots of fun using the lo-fi delay that was built in!

I actually owned two of the original Minilogues and one of the XD. They would pop up used on my local classifieds, and I couldn't resist the price! But ultimately, I found them a disappointing experience.

I do own a Prologue 16 though, and that is one beautiful sounding synth! Hmmm...things at that price range are hard to compare to.

- Bass Station II is a great sounding synth, if you don't mind monophonic.

- The Prologue 8 I would consider a much better synth, assuming it sounds the same as the 16? (minus the bass compressor)

- next up (if you just "have" to have real-analog) might be the Sequential Take 5?

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!