Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Must-Have Montage/MODX Libraries

Not sure there's anyone who has used both platforms to compare, but doesn't hurt to ask:

I was thinking of beefing up the clavs, and maybe the EPs too though they don't bother me, on the MODX. I already use an ipad for organ, so surely the cheapest if not easiest way to go is use an ipad app.

I've read about Neo Soul and Korg Module, any others?

And how might those compare to the Purgatory Creek clavs and EPs quality-wise?

I"m not that impressed with the Bosendorfer and am wondering if there is a really good Steinway sample for the MODX?

Look for libraries made for the Motif XF and XS as well. There are a good number of pianos around.

I really like the GospelMusician's Academic Grand, which is a Steinway, and there are also titles from Digital Sound Factory, K-Sounds, and also some other vendors via Yamaha MusicSoft that you can check out.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I dont get the fascination for so many pianos. It seems to me people just get them because they can. I mean, how many Piano"s do you need, and at the expense of losing a lot of memory for other sounds.

Choice is good, but with so many high quality stock piano"s in the Montage/MODX already, what are people doing with these sample packs.

To be fair, ive tried a few of the free ones myself, but none come close to the depth and feel of the Yamaha ones IME. Same goes for synth packs. You get the feel and sound of those vintage synths, but they seem flat compared to the original.

Maybe its just me.

I already use an ipad for organ, so surely the cheapest if not easiest way to go is use an ipad app.

I've read about Neo Soul and Korg Module, any others?

And how might those compare to the Purgatory Creek clavs and EPs quality-wise?

iPad: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/vb3m/id1560880479

although it's based on old desktop VB3 1.4 version (and not the VB3 II), it's gritty, and screamy, but also soft and gentle (with a bit of harshness) when needed. The only one better solution for iPad is B-3x by IK Multimedia, but it's not 10× better, as the price might suggest :)

Regarding Purgatory Creeks's VKC - it's a must have if you use EPs in your gigs. And the Pianet N was a very positive surprise for me...

Hi, thanks. I already have B-3X, had some gift itunes cards and nothing to spend them on, it was on sale, and vb3m wasn't out yet....:D

I do use EPs so that's one reason I may get purgatory creek. How are the clavs compared to the built-in Modx clavs? I haven't been super happy with those.

Secondly, would the IOS neo soul clavs and EPs--or any other apps-- be an upgrade to the Modx instruments? I'd rather buy apps for the ipad than upgrade the Modx, as I think the ipad is likely to be a more permanent part of my rig moving forward no matter what keyboards I use. But if Purgatory Creek is a cut above I'll go for it.

• 1 year later...
On 10/9/2021 at 12:09 AM, dickiefunk said:

I"m not that impressed with the Bosendorfer and am wondering if there is a really good Steinway sample for the MODX?

I know it's a fell sorcery to resurrect such an old topic, but you may want to check the SteinD Grand library for Montage/MODX(plus):

https://itb-music.online/product/steind-grand-for-yamaha-montage-modx/

And while you are at it, you may as well check the Italian Grand. Both have several videos demonstrating the sounds:

https://itb-music.online/product/italian-grand-for-yamaha-montage-and-modx/

Just popping back into this thread since it's back - I've been using the Synthogy American Grand as my primary piano sample on my MODX7 for the last six months or so. With the touch sensitivity adjusted to taste, it's now my go-to. It's a nice piano and is great live.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

13 hours ago, ITB Music said:

I know it's a fell sorcery to resurrect such an old topic, but you may want to check the SteinD Grand library for Montage/MODX(plus):

https://itb-music.online/product/steind-grand-for-yamaha-montage-modx/

And while you are at it, you may as well check the Italian Grand. Both have several videos demonstrating the sounds:

https://itb-music.online/product/italian-grand-for-yamaha-montage-and-modx/

1. Do you have a good demo for the D on your website?  I could not find one, despite the text that says you have one.

2. For your synth package, which synths are you including?   Your website does not say.   Is there an editable set of the parameters for each synth on the Montage?

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Hopefully I didn't say it already in the thread, but I ended up with two libraries and I like them both:

Purgatory Creek - better rhodes, clavs, wurlis.   Not that those were terrible on the Modx.

Analog Xperience - comes with a lot of sample waveforms to use as "Oscillators" (Elements), and a lot of nicely-programmed performances.   Now, I have been able to make some decent poly and mono sounds with the default waveforms, but these patches come out of the box sounding great.   They are much more targeted at vintage synth tones than the stock Performances, which sound thin and aren't all that useful for classic rock IMO (not all of them, but the vast majority).   

• Love 1

On 6/21/2023 at 3:50 AM, JazzPiano88 said:

1. Do you have a good demo for the D on your website?  I could not find one, despite the text that says you have one.

2. For your synth package, which synths are you including?   Your website does not say.   Is there an editable set of the parameters for each synth on the Montage?

1. There are several SteinD Grand videos on my YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/@itbmusic/videos), at least two of them are also listed on the SteinD Grand product page. All videos are produced from actual live recorded MIDI files with minimum post-processing to preserve the actual dynamic response.

2. If you mean the Brutalized library, I thought the name would be self-explanatory, but I was wrong. These are all samples from Arturia MiniBrute 2 and DrumBrute. The samples are further processed thru the Montage insert effects, reverb, delay, EQ, etc. Further editing is possible as much as any sample can be edited on the Montage/MODX.