Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is there a graphic editor in the house?

Is there anyone here who can fix errors in a graphic on Wikipedia?

This graphic contains some errors:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hammond-drawbars.svg

- On all nine drawbars, the ' (inch) symbol should be ' (foot); e.g., 16" not 16'.

- On the second drawbar (5 1/3"), 'Sub-3rd Harmonic' should be 'Sub-3rd harmonic' (lowercase "h").

- On the sixth drawbar (2"), "4nd harmonic" should be "4th harmonic".

- On the seventh drawbar (1 3/5"), "6th harmonic" should be "5th harmonic".

- On the eighth drawbar (1 1/3"), "7th harmonic" should be "6th harmonic". (The original Hammond organ drawbars do not include a 7th harmonic, which would be labelled 1 1/7".)

(This page has a similar image with the correct labels: https://electricdruid.net/technical-aspects-of-the-hammond-organ/#drawbars)

I tried to contact the creator of the graphic to fix this but there was no response.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I"d just like to know how MOI turned that out so quickly. By the time I downloaded the graphic, pulled it up in Affinity (same as Photoshop without the subscription) to start editing, Josh posted.

Here for the gear.

Ha!

Maybe someone can take a crack at changing the fraction format if they'd like. I won't be home most of the day.

This was the file that downloaded when I clicked "download" on the SVG file. I do remember it having a transparent background onscreen, but it opened with white in back. Maybe someone can strip the mask too? Or just upload it as is, since either way it's an improvement over the errors of the original?

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

.svg = Scalable Vector Graphics

If you wish to edit the file, you'll need to use something that can handle vector graphics (e.g. Illustrator, Inkscape), rather than converting it to raster and editing in Photoshop etc.

Here's an edited version with Paul's requests implemented. I also re-centred the number labels and connecting lines.

The word labels are type objects, so can be modified easily. However, the numbers are a combination of outlined fonts and type - I think this could be due to the fractions. Fonts normally have fraction characters for 1/2, 1/4, 3/4, however 2/3, 3/5 etc. are less common. Illustrator can create the fractions automatically if using an OpenType font, however the original font used here is Arial, which is not OTF, and I don't believe that font format would play well with .svg... so no straightforward fraction functionality. Judging from the different font used for the 3/5 fraction, I expect this file may have been edited in the past. If type was possible, it would be easy to add the angled quote (prime) character.

The forum does not allow uploading .svg files, so I've uploaded the edited version to the URL below:

https://svgshare.com/s/aur

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

:thu:

That looks fine, thanks. Are you able to replace the graphic on Wikipedia with this one? I just noticed the errors in the original while looking for a good diagram of the drawbars that I could link to (and I gather that several other sites also link to it), but I don't know how to update a file on Wikipedia and hoped someone here would be able to do this. :)

Hello Paul,

Are you able to replace the graphic on Wikipedia with this one?

I'm not familiar with Wikipedia editing, however it appears to only be possible by creating an account and logging in. Unfortunately, I don't have an account.

Kind regards,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Anyone can create a Wikipedia account and contribute information.

The flaw with Wikipedia is that it is a wiki and thus open to contributions by anyone. A growing number of people, especially a certain generation, consider a form of wiki known as an Urban Dictionary as a viable source of information when all it is is a place where people upload ideas which one can vote on which definition they agree with. It has nothing to do with an actual definition. People use the logic of commonality. They see something done, whether correct or incorrect, right or wrong, and they assume what they see the most is what it is. With this logic seeing everyone speeding or rolling through stop signs makes it legal. Hearing a word misused everywhere they assume it is being used correctly.

One difference now is that the people running Wikipedia are devoting more resources to research, cross-referencing and verifying information. Whatever is uploaded is scrutinized. But it is still a wiki and that in and of itself makes it inferior. Some information online is only substantiated by hear-say or see-say. People used to be able to use other wikis as footnotes substantiating the information. Now they require a verifiable source that is not another wiki.

Misinformed people believe it is an encyclopedia, or worse, better than an encyclopedia perhaps due to its formatting. Traditionally, many people have considered reading an encyclopedia to be relatively boring. Wikipedia tends to get to the point (appealing to shorter attention spans) and lacks the thorough presentation of an encyclopedia. Its founder wants it to be thought of as a reliable source of information. But unless they change it to something representing authoritative information and absolutes it can never be more than a community sourced database.

wiki |ËwikÄ|

noun

a website that allows collaborative editing of its content and structure by its users.

ORIGIN coined by programmer Ward Cunningham (1949â), from Hawaiian wiki-wiki 'quick-quick."