Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tony Bennett on 60 min. Sing, he still can!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that earlier tonight. What a great 60 Minutes segment, super inspiring and emotional. I loved it.

I also want to say that it seems like Lady Gaga is such a great person and good friend toward Bennett.

At the beginning when Anderson Cooper said, "...his friend Lady Gaga" I immediately thought of Michael Jackson and his supposed "friends" like Liz Taylor and Slash, sure. It was nice to see evidence that Lady Gaga could be genuine, down-to-earth and probably a true friend to TB. It would have been hard enough being that much at that stage performance but add to it the 60 Minutes cameras and having to answer to everything in an interview only made it more awkward. Being a career famous stage performer, this was the whole point except that the real exchange was something more intimate and overshadowed by the need to present the event as a grand spectacle whether it was or not. At least Cooper mentioned that there were some hiccups.

It may seem like I am critical of more but the only thing I found flawed and unnecessary was the obvious, (with headphones), audio enhancement of Tony's vocals when he spontaneously joined the pianist and started singing at his home. Maybe his vocals were inaudible and enhancement was necessary considering typical broadcast viewing situations. They managed to double only his vocals so he probably had his own mic. Using doubling sounded weird and made me distrust the presentation wondering how much turd is being polished? But I have been a huge fan of 60 Minutes over the years and overall this was one of the better 60 Minutes segments in its history. In a sense Tony Bennett is as big, old and famous in his sphere as 60 Minutes has been in its sphere

The doubling is noticeable in the video of the complete segment. I do not hear it in the video in the originating post.