Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Had enough of boring black stands

HI,

Started looking for a red single keyboard stand, couldn't find much.

So then tried to find a white one. Again, nothing really.

I then realized that what I really want is a polished chrome X-stand.

They don't seem to exist, sadly...

Surely there's a market for chrome keyboard stands, especially for stage use? Imagine how boring drums would look if hardware was painted black!? Can't we have some glitter too?

hang out with me at woody piano shack

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely there's a market for chrome keyboard stands, especially for stage use? Imagine how boring drums would look if hardware was painted black!? Can't we have some glitter too?

Find a stand that serves the purpose and have it customized (painted, glitter, accessorized, etc.). :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I bought a silver Spider Pro when they were 100 dollars cheaper than the black ones--ironically I really wanted the black one :)

I've never really gotten complements on anything in my rig other than that stand. I'm all about utility personally and I like it because it's a handy stand, but everyone else seems to think it's super cool :)

My buddy has a red heavy duty two-tier X stand, ultimate support I think.

Get the lightest color Apex or whatever you can find.

Then go to an autoparts store and get the DupliColor Metalcast system .

Pick a color, spray the "chrome" undercoat, then the top coat.

Some examples:

My Gibraltar started like this:

UH6neQ.jpg

Some DupliColor MetalCast Red "brushed aluminum"-like

and now it's this:

CkvezA.jpg

XxKbwT.jpg

Also good for keyboards: Base coat works on plastic

Exanple, my Alesis Vortex 2 Wireless

Base coat

zLO00I.jpg

Color coat

wqXrNy.jpg

GI3VM9.jpg

My VR-09 in MetalCast Blue

7LYbVF.jpg

Finally an Apex that I did a "pinkish" red Metalcast for a friend who founded the Breast Cancer Can Stick It foundation for her band's keys player

g8gsRn.jpg

If you didn't live so far away I'd offer my services. As it is, I only take on very local, projects: mostly stands. If someone wants keys done THEY are responsible for disassembly and reassembly. (I'll take that risk with mine, but not with someone else's)

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

HammondGal AKA Lynnette Williams just posted her new chrome stands that were made for her on her IG page. Maybe you can get the number of the person who made the stands.

HammondGal new stand post:

Now that's cool!

The one on the right is Gibraltar based on their "Key Tree". Not sure what he used on the uprights on the left stand... looks like electronic drum rack hardware. Definitely Gibraltar supports on it, though.

If you go that route, thre is no limit to what you can create. Warning, the tubes are inexpensive. It's the clamps that get you into serious $$$$. Well worth it to me.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

That looks awesome, but man that illustrates a difference in "gig level" to what I deal with (and stand footprint is a factor in my stand choice accordingly). Our whole band (5 piece) has had to squeeze onto spaces close in size to the stage she has just for her! :)

I have no problem with "boring"; I simply hate the ever-more-common prevalence of black in everything, as I can't see anything black or dark except in super-strong light. It was even a problem in setting up my new iPhone, but white wasn't in stock. Took me forever to get the SIM latch to open. And likewise, when I put together keyboard stand kits, I can't see what I'm doing as everything is black-on-black.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Hah, I can definitely agree with that.

I buy black stuff if it's something I want to hide on stage, that's about it. For example I bought a black Lesko fan because a fan isn't something I want to draw attention to on stage.

Black shirts to hide the gut, the gut is in the same category as the fan :D

Phone case? Lime green.

Kindle case? Bright red. I have a bright blue parachute-material wallet.

Suitcases? Something I can actually pick out on the baggage claim.

Gear cases? Something I can see on a dim stage in a dark bar at the end of the night. We used to play dive bars where I felt compelled to bring a shop light with me, thankfully we've evolved up in gigs a bit! :)

some interesting suggesttons there, thanks!

i used to own a Spider, decades ago. Never really liked it and sold it quickly, don't remember why, but most likely stabitity.

Really like the custom rigs some of you have done, respect! Great idea and could be an option, but chrome plating is very expensive, and not sure how good silver paint looks.

The Stay stands look cool, but I noticed that they are only partially colored.

Automotive wraps, gold, white, chrome, etc. now, that is something worth investigating!

hang out with me at woody piano shack

I really dig Lynnette Williams' playing - and have for a little bit now.

Both of her stands appear to me to be modified, reinforced Gibraltar Key Trees - reinforced to take the hefty weight of the Kronos she's stocking up on (does she have like 13 more in some warehouse?). The original Key Tree was only supposed to have a 73 key on the bottom, and never looked to me like the most stable platform Gibraltar suggested. So it looks like she's had additional legs and such to deal with the rig weight.

Inspired by David's (EscapeRocks) incredible work, I built my own Gibraltar rig from one of their videos. I've mentioned it in a past thread and have a "how long to set it up" video on YouTube:

[video:youtube]

Spoiler alert: it takes about 5 minutes to set it up, even at the leisurely pace I used for the video

But the Gibraltar stuff ain't cheap, and it's heavier than the K&M Baby Spider Pro I still have. But oooh shiny chrome, yes, I have to beat off groupies and wanton bridesmaids away with a stick these days. Oh my cursed life.

That is definitely very cool. I assume it wouldn't be difficult to get a mic stand adapter for the Gilbraltar stuff (my impression is you could add anything you want to it?). I much prefer having a boom right on my keyboard stand, it's one less thing sitting on the floor and I won't forget a boom that is small enough to fit in my gig bag.

As far as cheap...the spider pros are up to 450 bucks now, which is 200 more than I paid. This definitely looks cooler and is more flexible, but as you say a bit longer to set up.

If you got to a gig and decided to sit vs stand--and this occasionally happens to me if I find myself wedged into a tiny corner where I can't move an inch--would adjusting the overall stand height or tier heights be something you could do?

Now that's cool!

The one on the right is Gibraltar based on their "Key Tree". Not sure what he used on the uprights on the left stand... looks like electronic drum rack hardware. Definitely Gibraltar supports on it, though.

The one on the left is two Pearl drum rack cross-bars, set up vertically, and supported by Gibraltar accessories. I used to use that same Pearl drum rack as a keyboard stand (before Gibraltar got in the game!). In many ways it's as close to the perfect stand as I've gotten, except that you have to break it almost entirely into pieces to transport it, or else it's like moving a coat rack fitted with grappling hooks every time you use it.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com