Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rest in peace, Dr. Lonnie Smith

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very sorry to hear this. I got to hear Lonnie play live three times. The first time was about twenty years ago when he appeared at a festival in Ottawa with Lou Donaldson. I was an instant fan. Lonnie had a remarkable ability to engage listeners while sitting behind some 400 odd pounds of cabinet. A smoking player who also wrote some great tunes. I made a point of playing his 'Pilgrimage' for my farewell gig a few years ago. RIP Dr. Smith.

Great player

Greatest lesson i took was watching him play a trio gig with a simple Nord Electro 2, no second manual, no pedals, nada. But still, the magic was there at all times and you were listening to a proper hammond style and sound. The fingers and the style were good enough

RIP

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

A true original and one of the musicians who has had the greatest influence on me personally.

He falls into the very small group of musicians who really opened up my ears and showed me an entirely new musical approach. I hadn't seen him for a couple of years. But based on recent recordings and on shows i did attend several years ago, I think he left on the top of his game.

I'm just grateful for the times I got to saw him.

I especially love the many clips which show Lonnie playing with other Hammond artists...

[video:youtube]

I watch him....and always feel like firing up the organ.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Oh no! Truly sad news! It's a shame those great Palmetto albums are not available on 180g vinyl which is my preferred format these days. I dug how he kept on recording and did some very fly covers like "Trouble Man", "Freedom Jazz Dance", "Juju".

What a loss. I became a fan somewhat late in his career, but the time I did see him live was musically magical and soul inspiring.

RIP, Dr. Lonnie!

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Which one died? No ambiguity so far in this discussion, which is all about Dr. Lonnie Smith, but elsewhere ...

... the obits are all messed up! Many of them have the incorrect Lonnie Smith for one life fact or another.

Looking at the Wiki pages for both, the one who died is Dr. Lonnie Smith:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonnie_Smith_(jazz_musician)

Yet there are several obits out there that list the birth date and origin town for Lonnie Liston Smith, with a death date.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonnie_Liston_Smith

As you can see, Lonnie Liston Smith is apparently still very much alive.

My jazz combo has done songs by both. Both great in their own way, but quite different from each other.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Oh no! Truly sad news! It's a shame those great Palmetto albums are not available on 180g vinyl which is my preferred format these days. I dug how he kept on recording and did some very fly covers like "Trouble Man", "Freedom Jazz Dance", "Juju".

Backtrack is the first tune in this live performance from 2013. It starts at about 2 minutes in: