Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

MIM Standard Precision Bass. Probably didn't really need it and might end up regretting not having the money in a couple months... but it was a pretty good deal and now I've got a solid P.

There are some good MIM guitars out there. Back in 2004 I found a MIM Jazz Bass with excellent tone and plays great. I didn't want to gig that one so I've been looking for another that plays like that one - haven't found one yet.

That's really stretching "music related"

I am hardly the first!

Indeed and here goes another one. I found a 7 gallon water container at Goodwill. I held it with the filler opening up to my ear and tapped on it in various places. There is a monster kick drum tone inside this plastic container.

I paid $4 and tax for it. Yesterday I installed an Audio Technica conference mic near the opening, plugged it into my interface and listened to it on headphones.

Out in the room it sounds tap tap tap, in the cans it is HUGE. Fat and punchy and there are quite a few tonal variations depending on your strike and hand or mallet, etc. It's quiet enough to record in a multi unit condo without my shared walls noticing anything much. With such a huge bottom end, I can use it as THE low frequency or EQ it to leave space for a bass down there. Perfect.

I wanted something that didn't sound like electronic drums but I can't get loud here. Problem solved.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I am hardly the first!

Indeed and here goes another one. I found a 7 gallon water container at Goodwill. I held it with the filler opening up to my ear and tapped on it in various places. There is a monster kick drum tone inside this plastic container.

I paid $4 and tax for it. Yesterday I installed an Audio Technica conference mic near the opening, plugged it into my interface and listened to it on headphones.

Out in the room it sounds tap tap tap, in the cans it is HUGE. Fat and punchy and there are quite a few tonal variations depending on your strike and hand or mallet, etc. It's quiet enough to record in a multi unit condo without my shared walls noticing anything much. With such a huge bottom end, I can use it as THE low frequency or EQ it to leave space for a bass down there. Perfect.

I wanted something that didn't sound like electronic drums but I can't get loud here. Problem solved.

The credit for his next song: KuruPrionz - guitars, bass, vocals, dihydrogen monoxide percussion module

but props :)

That house purchase ends a frugal twelve month unemployment period, and the dawn of a new life in a new job, new town. And with a steady income I hope to contribute more to this thread.

Besides a place to put music gear, it will be my retirement home. I'm not retiring anytime soon, but I plan long term. The choice of house was very carefully thought out.

I am hardly the first!

The credit for his next song: KuruPrionz - guitars, bass, vocals, dihydrogen monoxide percussion module

Yep. I am finding that various plastic bottles can sound amazing if you mic them wrong.

I am hardly the first!

Growing up from musically five of my friends were drummers (4 played lefty strange) so used to the world being the drummers instrument. One of them was very into percussion and especially making his own so many trips to thrift shops for things that sounded cool. One of them I liked a lot was he made a chime tree out of dinner knives he got and drill a hole in the end and hung them with fishing line. That went with his huge collection of shakers of all sizes and filled with all sorts of different things. He later got into composing and made a decent living writing TV and small films and similar projects. Never forget you Jack RIP.

Amplitube 5...now about those 16 free items I get in the Group Buy (which could go to 25)...tried to pick a good price point.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I am hardly the first!

Growing up from musically five of my friends were drummers (4 played lefty strange) so used to the world being the drummers instrument. One of them was very into percussion and especially making his own so many trips to thrift shops for things that sounded cool. One of them I liked a lot was he made a chime tree out of dinner knives he got and drill a hole in the end and hung them with fishing line. That went with his huge collection of shakers of all sizes and filled with all sorts of different things. He later got into composing and made a decent living writing TV and small films and similar projects. Never forget you Jack RIP.

I find interesting percussion instruments at thrift stores all the time. I've noticed that they tend to be in the children's toys or sometimes with all the wood items. Once in a while, in the tools. Now I am going to keep an eye out for plastic bottles. I have a 7 gallon, a 5 gallon and a couple of smaller bottles, including a pee bottle (unused) that they gave me at the hospital when I had foot surgery. That little thing sounds deeper than it looks and a mic at the mouth can record an impressive thump. Nobody next door or upstairs will ever hear it, I can use it freely. Which is mostly the point of this "sideswipe" phase I'm going through.

I like the silverware chime tree idea, that's pretty cool!

Had to get this.

A total MIDI Controlled Dual Phaser from Strymon.

USB MIDI from the Physis K4.

So now I run a USB powered AOC 12' monitor, my iPad and the Strymon.

The sound is fantastic.

Omnisphere MXR Phaser sounds great but having 2 x phasers, left and right are most desirable.

https://www.strymon.net/product/zelzah/

314182-F9-F037-4-C19-9-C4-F-7986-EB0-A4769.jpg

4832-DA5-F-E2-C5-4-C28-B530-FD94-BD129-D22.jpg

87-F1258-A-32-CD-4-DB6-BC6-D-1-F95-A1-DCAB67.png

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I got the Arturia SQ80 V a few days ago. I bought a new ESQ-1 back in the eighties that I unfortunately no longer have, and it was one of my top five favorite synths out of the dozens I've owned over the years. The SQ80 V does everything my ESQ-1 did and a lot more, it's my new favorite softsynth. I love the grungy eight-bit oscillators going through the modeled analog filter, it sounds very true to the original ESQ-1/SQ80 hybrid sound, plus it includes transwaves from later Ensoniq synths.

sq80-v-image.png

Amplitube 5...now about those 16 free items I get in the Group Buy (which could go to 25)...tried to pick a good price point.

Made my picks. Not having much other IK software this was a good deal since I only bought one item at $199 and the rest were free. Maybe not so worthwhile if one already has a lot of their stuff and/or has these areas covered.

Hammond B-3X - time to see how this guy sounds. It certainly seems to be well-liked here.

Modo Bass

Modo Drum

Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE

Orchestral Percussion

Cinematic Percussion

Cinekinetic: Fractured Piano

Cinekinetic: Malletopia

Amplitube Mesa/Boogie

Amplitube Fender Collection

Ampltube Fender Collection 2

CSR Plate Reverb

T-RackS Leslie

MixBox (channel strip with 70 fx modules)

T-RackS Full Metering

Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

If the group buy goes up further I'll have to add a few other things. But this fills in most of the holes in my in-the-box setup.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Made my picks. Not having much other IK software this was a good deal since I only bought one item at $199 and the rest were free. Maybe not so worthwhile if one already has a lot of their stuff and/or has these areas covered.

Hammond B-3X - time to see how this guy sounds. It certainly seems to be well-liked here.

Modo Bass

Modo Drum

Orchestral Percussion

Cinematic Percussion

Amplitube Mesa/Boogie

CSR Plate Reverb

T-RackS Leslie

T-RackS Full Metering

If the group buy goes up further I'll have to add a few other things. But this fills in most of the holes in my in-the-box setup.

Those are good choices, I have the Orchestral and Cinematic percussion. If you get more freebies consider the Ampeg collections for Amplitube. I use their SVT clone on both bass and kick drum and it sounds great.

The CSR Hall is a great reverb too. I have the Leslie, love it.

Malletopia looks interesting!!!!

Modo Bass

Modo Drum

Orchestral Percussion

Cinematic Percussion

Amplitube Mesa/Boogie

CSR Plate Reverb

T-RackS Leslie

T-RackS Full Metering

Those are good choices, I have the Orchestral and Cinematic percussion. If you get more freebies consider the Ampeg collections for Amplitube. I use their SVT clone on both bass and kick drum and it sounds great.

The CSR Hall is a great reverb too. I have the Leslie, love it.

Malletopia looks interesting!!!!

I actually already have the Metal and SVX (1) Amplitube packs from some free promotions over the last few years, plus the Triple Rectifier amp alone too which was an odd instance. The SVX amps really help VI bass tones - shut off the amp sim in Waves Bass Fingers and run it through Amplitube SVX and it's a huge improvement to an already not-bad product. Otherwise I have a few other items from them I've gathered including some T-RackS plugins that I never actually use and the free/Custom Shop versions of Syntronik and Sampletank.

I am hardly the first!

No, he's not stretching it. Both Sam BLupowitz ;) and I bought houses with the explicit criteria of where the gear was going to go. Not in a spare bedroom somewhere, but in a large, primary space because that's where we do this.

Nope, The Real MC's house is not a stretch in this thread at all. And congrats to him because he spent a long time with most (all?) of his gear in storage before this. he's excited and deservedly so.

I'm mainly replying to congratulate Mike on this, so don't take it any other way. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It's fine Joe, you can leave me out, I'm used to it! :P;)

(I haven't posted any pics yet, I know, I know...)

Dang! In the back of my mind, I did think you had done something like this too, but all you bearded millennials look alike so I thought it was just Sam. ;)

Seriously, I think I wasn't sure because we hadn't talked about it quite as much. I miss seeing you!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Today 2 Hosa 1/3rd rack boxes with XLR throughput arrived. My interface has 2 multi jacks in front and 6 in the back. My mic preamps only have DI in on the front and all XLR connections are on the back. Soon I will be able to plug stuff in up front. I've also got a project box that will fit in the rest of the space on that rack and some TRS quarter inch Switchcraft jacks so I can have throughput for other stuffs too.

Still planning the layout, it will all come together at some point soon.

By occasion I just got a vintage ´73 Tel-Rey MORLEY Wah-Volume pedal in good condition.

Source = inheritance

Seller had no clue, so I got it for 40,-

I used a vintage Morley Power-Wah-Fuzz w/ my Fender Rhodes in the past,- sold it when Rhodes and Clavinet were sold too,- and regret later.

I was never a fan of the fuzz sound, so the Power-Wah-Volume is enough for me now.

I also aquired a Edirol PCR500 controller for 60,- ... shipping included.

These work very good w/ Phead/Reason Studios Reason 10.4 and 11 as also VSTi- and S|C SCOPE devices controller on my Windows 7 SP1 32Bit and 64Bit DAW machines.

:)

A.C.

VOX VX50KB Keyboard Amplifier

Good match for the Casio CT-S1; and it's a fun setup to mess around with. The retro look feels like a 70's garage rig and it's very travel friendly :roll:

Electric pianos, organs and synths sound good. Unfortunately pianos sound "boxy" through the amp - so that's one compromise to consider. My other choice was the IK Multimedia 40 watt iLoud speaker - with a built-in battery; but I really like that the Vox is more like a pro-audio amp with a built-in mixer, 1/4 jacks for inputs, mic, and line out, plus 1/8 jacks for aux-in and headphones.

2327.thumb.jpg.bc403cc1589fa40bc3dede9e7b3b1b73.jpg

2328.thumb.jpg.8fa94a1b06e1527b4ac782faa63c65be.jpg

IK's Syntronik, Sampletank 4, SVX2, and Stealth Limiter via IK Group Buy.

Digitech Element XP effects pedal. Everything works, it sounds more than good enough and they are not expensive. I downloaded the manual, there are 100 presets and 100 slots to part my own presets. With headphones on it's stereo so at the least it makes a great practice rig. Maybe not a "serious" piece of gear but it will get used.