Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

sequential take 5 versus novation

lsj

I really don't need either one but I have the sickness of buying more synths. would like some opinions on the purchase of either one. I know I should be waiting for the behringer pro 800 but no information on when it will become available. any help here will be appreciated. so take 5 or the novation peak. I kind of think that the peak is a better buy. back in the day I always wanted the prophet 5 after my DX-7 but never got around to it. just my opinion that everyone still wants a sequential even if there are better options at a more reasonable price.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My choice was between the Prophet rev2 and the Summit, and the latter only came into the picture because Sweetwater gave me a very nice deal. I figured I wanted the 16-voice rev2 so the price was about the same after that.

I'm thrilled with the Summit, though I'm vastly under-using it in my current band. I figure this is a keeper for the future and any band that needs a synth at all, it'll find use!

So far I mainly use Single patches, so I could have just gotten the Peak (I think there are a few other differences that make the Summit a bit more than two Peaks). I really like the sound, I reckon it may be more versatile than the rev2 would have been. I can still get prophet-y type sounds that suit me as well, though granted a prophet five may be a different beast altogether.

One thing that I really appreciate about Novation is that they have an excellent free librarian (that runs in a browser) that makes it a breeze to make banks and load/pull them to and from the Summit (or peak). My buddy ended up with the rev2 and there was nothing comparable out of the gate for him to manage patches.

I think some of us are going to get together at a beloved local shop for a synth party/shootout. The shop has just about all the Sequential, Moog, Novation, etc. synths in the house.

Except Dreadbox. Would have loved try Nymphes head to head vs. the other polysynths

The shop does carry Hydrasynth, which is all-digital, but is comparable to Peak/Summit from the wavetable perspective.

I think some of us are going to get together at a beloved local shop for a synth party/shootout.

text me and let me know when :cool:

Of course! ProfD proposed the idea a short while back. I think we're just waiting for all the new gear that we want to play with to change status from "preorder" to "in stock", haha.

My take on the Take 5 is that it's more of a tasty side dish to a stage or studio setup, rather than the main event. With it's greater polyphony and layering capabilities, something like the Peak moves more into the main event category - at least for analog synth sounds. But it's not self contained with a keyboard.

Those of us who are excited about the Take 5 have a specific use for a piece of kit with it's size, sound, and feature set. To me, the Peak is aimed at a slightly different market. Which one is best for you depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Had been thinking about the Summit or the Rev2 for quite some time.

But when the new Take5 came out, I ordered immediately.

It"s got it all. No DCOs but VCOs. No Curtis filter but Rossum. Great modulation, split and FX. Instant classic.

And that price is just crazy.