Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jazz B3 plus piano

I know there are a lot of guys/gals here into Hammond organ and jazz, so can you help me please? I've been searching with no luck so far.

I'm trying to find a recording of a jazz Hammond player (Joey D, Jimmy McGriff, Jimmy Smith, etc, that also has a jazz piano player, playing together with the organist. I know there are lots of organ + guitar trios (or larger bands), but I'm looking specifically for organ + piano, to see how they go about blending together (or not).

I'll keep looking, but if anyone knows of such a record, please let me know? (or even a youtube clip - anything)

Thank you!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there are a lot of guys/gals here into Hammond organ and jazz, so can you help me please? I've been searching with no luck so far.

I'm trying to find a recording of a jazz Hammond player (Joey D, Jimmy McGriff, Jimmy Smith, etc, that also has a jazz piano player, playing together with the organist. I know there are lots of organ + guitar trios (or larger bands), but I'm looking specifically for organ + piano, to see how they go about blending together (or not).

I'll keep looking, but if anyone knows of such a record, please let me know? (or even a youtube clip - anything)

Thank you!

Here's a video from a Keyboard forum member, Hal Tsuchida. There's more on his YT page from that time period when he was gigging with a pianist. Hal told me the pianist was self taught, damn he has that Wynton Kelly thing, love it.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Here's a video from a Keyboard forum member, Hal Tsuchida. There's more on his YT page from that time period when he was gigging with a pianist. Hal told me the pianist was self taught, damn he has that Wynton Kelly thing, love it.

Thanks Peter. May I call you two-five for short? :) Is this an old video? It's really cool and Hal's a good player, so is that pianist. I'd like to see more of them playing together. Unfortunately, I can't find any other organ+piano vids on his YT page. Lots of org+gtr, naturally. Also, I tried to find Hal in the the Member's List, can't find him. Do you know if he goes by another name? Thanks.

This is a treasure trove. I always love bands with both piano and B3 players in a rock context (Springsteen, The Band, mid-70s Billy Joel, some of the Beatles' Let It Be stuff with Billy Preston) but I haven't heard much of that in jazz.

In gospel, of course, it's pretty common!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I played piano in a piano/organ/drums jazz trio for years. We recorded a couple tracks on my first album, but it's not on YT or anything and I don't have a copy handy. It came about because I got a last-minute call to put together a trio for a gig, and I couldn't find a bass player. So out of desperation I called a keyboardist friend who had been doing a lot of organ trio work and was used to being the bass player. We thought it would kinda suck and we'd just suffer through it and get paid, but to our surprise it was fun and sounded good, so it became a regular working group. The organist and I were good friends and knew each other's playing well, which helped us stay out of each other's way.

Maybe this will fit the bill: Backup by Brian Charette

Personnel: Brian Charette (B3 Hammond organ), Henry Hey (piano), Jochen Rueckert (drums).

(Of course, as always, buy the album.)

I have been enjoying this album for a couple of years now. I have often wondered why organ, drums and piano trios aren't more common. It seems that a Rhodes would sub for a guitar quite well.

Maybe this will fit the bill:

Backup by Brian Charette

Personnel: Brian Charette (B3 Hammond organ), Henry Hey (piano), Jochen Rueckert (drums). (Of course, as always, buy the album.)

I have been enjoying this album for a couple of years now. I have often wondered why organ, drums and piano trios aren't more common. It seems that a Rhodes would sub for a guitar quite well.

Thanks, Piktor, that's awesome! That's definitely the sort of thing I was looking for, and the way they play together and no toes get stepped on, is a kind of master class. I'm right now listening to it, and so far, it seems the piano player's approach is to be one-handed. I hope he also plays two-handed at some point, too (wait, he just did! - cool.)

Great. I'm glad to turn someone on to this. I have become a Brian Charette fan and I see that Henry Hey (nephew of Jerry Hey) has done some interesting things as a player and producer. I was watching some of his YouTube interviews with folks like Jim Beard a while back. (https://youtube.com/c/HenryHeymusic)

A Larry Young recording that was unearthed a few years ago has a couple piano, organ, drums tracks: In Paris: The ORTF Recordings.

As a side note, it looks like Joey Defrancesco's upcoming release features an interesting trio where his guitarist plays organ when JD plays trumpet. I love the idea of having band members who have the ability to move to different instruments, depending on what a tune needs.

[video:youtube]