Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New St. Vincent which has some nice wurly and clav work on it. Here is the SNL appearance:

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

This. Because there's not enough marginally successful Aussie synth pop out there

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

• 4 weeks later...

Been listening to Fourplay a lot. Great stuff!

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Not usually a great fan of 'covers', but I saw that Scott Ambush was involved with these guys --

So I thought I'd give it a listen....and it's not bad at all, I thought? :)

Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

• 2 weeks later...

Total yacht rock throwback. Great new John Mayer album.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

Haven't listen to Jeff Lorber in awhile and he has a new album Space-Time so checking it out. Guess you can say he has kinds of his own niche of music Smooth Fusion. I can deal with the label Smooth Fusion better than Smooth Jazz which makes me gag. Lorber, Hasip, and Novak all are/were big part of the L.A. Fusion scene for decades but they are getting old and the sharp edges are getting rounded and smoothed. But kind fun to listen to what they are doing these days.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. I'm.a new arrival - as of today - and already my whole day has been mucked-up whilst discovering new and wonderful music, chosen by people with knowledge and taste. Thank you all - this will become my new home!!

I haven't been through all 66 pages (barely managed two over 7 hours!), so forgive me if this has previously been posted, but in case it hasn't I would like to present you with Valeriy Stepanov from Moscow. I must admit an interest here, as before the Covid situation put a stop to everything, I was working with him to book some concert dates in Europe. He's a phenomenally talented guy who even impressed Chick Corea!

This is a track from a few years ago, but Valeriy is maturing, evolving and pumping out his music with energy and regularity. Would love to have some feedback..

And by the way, I am a Joe Zawinul NUT and all things musically wonderful, so I will be posting delish stuff over he coming decades...

Peace and Health 2 U all.....

If You Always Do What You've Always Done, You'll Always Get What You Always Had.

..or put another way

A Brain Is Like An Umbrella. It Works Best When Its Open.

Oops.. seems like the embed code didn't work - apologies. Trying another technique

If You Always Do What You've Always Done, You'll Always Get What You Always Had.

..or put another way

Next up for today - something COMPLETELY left field. These guys had me transfixed for days. Its all in Korean, so let me explain..

One of 4th hardest tasks ANY marketing person could have, I think, would be the task of making South Korea a sexy and exciting place to visit, and full of charm. Whilst I am sure that S. Korea has charm in spades, but its' international "brand image" is somewhat bland IMHO.

But someone way up high in their tourism ministry appointed someone with a MEAN pair of cojones who did something quite revolutionary. Instead of the usual boring tourism TV commercials, this person went full whack and employed the skills and talents of an electro-band who always play with this group of frankly astonishing dancers. As someone who has difficulty in walking a straight line, I do not follow dancing one little bit. But THESE guys (The Ambiguous Dance Company) were something - well, when the commercial came up on YouTube I actually was transfixed and actually watched it. There was a whole campaign for about 6 cities, I think.

Final comment is about the music. What the band - LeenAlchi have done is take an ancient form of folk singing in Korea and updated it with tomorrow's sounds. The voice technique - when they sing whilst inhaling, is quite staggering. You can see it in their faces on the second clip, which features a whole performance of the track.

The first clip is the commercial that peaked my initial interest

Hope you enjoy

Commercial

Full Track

..or put another way

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been digging the new album by Trifecta, the trio of Adam Holzman (keys), Nick Beggs (bass) and Craig Blundell (drums). They met as part of Steven Wilson's touring band, the album is very cool (mostly)instrumental prog/fusion. Great playing, well-recorded, really enjoyable stuff.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

• 2 weeks later...

Matt Garrison is not widely known, which is an effing shame. To say that he has a Jazz "heritage" would be an understatement of epic proportions - his godfather is Jack DeJohnette, and his dad was Coltrane's bass player. So you get the drift, as it were. He was on-and-off Joe Zawinul's bass dude, however here is a stonking piece he released on his own about 10 years ago - Keyboards are him and Scott Kinsey. Get pas the unusual 40 second opening to uncover something great

..or put another way

Oh god!! This is one of THE pieces that emerged from the 1970s, with Duke being labelled as "Dawilli Gonga" for contractual reasons. I wore this puppy out and had it replaced numerous times overr the years. All trax are just to die-for. Thanks for posting.

..or put another way

Classic 1960 recording from Blossom Dearie (yeah, her real name). Ray Brown on bass, Kenny Burrell on guitar, and Ed Thigpen on drums. That's all you hear for the first minute, then BD enters with vocals and piano. That's some swinging cabaret.

From a 4-cd 8-album set I picked up on Amazon.

Around the time this album came out I remember a watching a video of Chick Corea and Gary Husband chatting, Chick appeared to be a big fan of both Gary's drumming as well as piano and composing. I picked up Gary's album "a meeting of spirits" and really interesting here's one track.

Been on a Boston kick for the past few hours. Currently on the turntable is Third Stage.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

• 2 weeks later...