Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How important are likes for you?

I love the like feature. It's the first thing I look at when I log in. I wish it was easier, and I wish there were lots more instant emojis to choose from. We use Slack at work, it's totally refreshed the way we communicate, almost instant widespread adoption, kind of like chat on steroids. There are countless instant emojis available, they are used ALL the time, lots of gifs too. It makes communicating and sharing information fast and fun... who'da thunk it?

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just threw out a box of dusty old likes, along with some dead cassettes, a bag of calcified cough drops from 2002 and a dessicated lizard in a small display box, sent by a sicko pal years ago.

KC is one of the only civil places left on the net, like a compound surrounded by zombies. I advise reading almost all of it for the information and taking only the tech parts seriously, as a loose rule. We're all nerds of a sort. Come for the GAS, stay for the casual congeniality. :guinness::cheers::keys2:

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

I, like, like those who don't like the like........

.................I personally don't give a rat's how many likes I get. I believe I have zero, and that's fine with me.

Can I get a G__D___ like, people!!!????? Can I get a witness? :mad::):cool:

I'm kidding, please don't. Really.

:thu: 1 member likes this: Joe Muscara

There's always one! :)

I, like, like those who don't like the like.......

........................... etc.

......................... I personally don't give a rat's how many likes I get. I believe I have zero, and that's fine with me.

Can I get a G__D___ like, people!!!????? Can I get a witness? :mad::):cool:

I'm kidding, please don't. Really.

I should add that the above nonsense is strictly my own crusty old curmudgeon opinion, and doesn't reflect the ideas of Keyboard Corner or Music Player Network in any way. I'm not affiliated with MPN or KC in anyway, other than being a curmudgeon member who should probably have kept his (computer) keyboard shut. And, Dave, or anyone in charge of this place, I'll gladly remove my comment if it makes you uncomfortable in any way - that's not my intention at all. I cherish this place, if you'll pardon the cloying verbiage.

Cheers.

Although I love this great forum very much, I am considering to stop posting and to read only in the future.

Am I being too sensitive with regards to likes?

Yeah mayne. The average age of the folks on this forum is above middle-age and some are curmudgeonly. :laugh:

No disrespect to our younger cats. I see you Majuscule, Mighty Max, Bobadoshe, Zephonic, etc., to name a few. :wave:

So, the like button may not get pressed as much as it does on social media platforms.

If I quote anything, that's probably the equivalent of a like. :D

Brotha Tom, it reads like you might need a group hug to de-escalate the sensitivity. Stick around. We like you here. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

And, Dave, or anyone in charge of this place, I'll gladly remove my comment if it makes you uncomfortable in any way - that's not my intention at all.

You think I'm gonna remove a quality rant like that? No way, brother Richard. :rocker::cheers:

dB

Well... I "liked" his rant, just for one. Took his like total up 33.333% too. That's not easy to do. :)

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I mentioned it in passing, but my dislike of the "like" feature mainly comes from the brown-nosing I see at work on Slack. Any boss says *anything* and instantly the usual suspects like it to hell and back with thumbs up and other emoticons. Gross.

It's a harmless feature on the surface but it's also extremely empty and banal. I think this place is very much "just the facts" and sometimes good posts get left un-replied-to simply because they've said what needed to be said on the subject! :) I have sometimes felt like a thread killer when I have the last post on something, I imagine I'm not the only one.

The average age of the folks on this forum is above middle-age

It does feel that way, huh? :idk:

Wanna see the Google analytics on that from the past week? You may be surprised...

Brotha dB, thanks for pulling the analytics. I'm glad it proves me wrong. The middle-age are up in here.

:thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The average age of the folks on this forum is above middle-age

It does feel that way, huh? :idk:

Wanna see the Google analytics on that from the past week? You may be surprised...

nZanmz1.png

dB

I find that surprising to the point of disbelief. Makes me question the accuracy of Google's data mining bots...

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I don't mind likes on FB, etc. (it kinda goes with the territory)... but it drives me absolutely bonkers when somebody "likes" a text message. WTF?

I reply to a band text thread: "Will be there for load-in at 7:00" and the drummer replies "LIKE: Will be there for load-in at 7:00". Just plain silly and a waste of my time.

It's like the whole phenomenon of "liking" is sort of something you're automatically supposed to do... with anything (text, e-mail...). You know, sort of like mask wearing. It's just something that you do.

People..... :(

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

I don't mind likes on FB, etc. (it kinda goes with the territory)... but it drives me absolutely bonkers when somebody "likes" a text message. WTF?

I reply to a band text thread: "Will be there for load-in at 7:00" and the drummer replies "LIKE: Will be there for load-in at 7:00". Just plain silly and a waste of my time.

It's like the whole phenomenon of "liking" is sort of something you're automatically supposed to do... with anything (text, e-mail...). You know, sort of like mask wearing. It's just something that you do.

Sometimes a "like" simply means, "I read it, I don't have anything to add, but we're nodding." In your case, it's like he said, "okay, see you there."

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Sometimes a "like" simply means, "I read it, I don't have anything to add, but we're nodding." In your case, it's like he said, "okay, see you there."

Yeah the problem with doing it on text messages (apparently) is that it resends the entire message....I thought it was just something going haywire with my phone. Sometimes I'll get a couple in a row on our group texts that we use for band stuff....

Yeah the problem with doing it on text messages (apparently) is that it resends the entire message....I thought it was just something going haywire with my phone. Sometimes I'll get a couple in a row on our group texts that we use for band stuff....

Are you on Android phones? I think the "like" integration is much less obtrusive on Apple iOS but translates on Android texting platforms into the cumbersome experience you're describing

Dave is this the number of people who posted something each day?

Not sure what the criteria is, tbh.

dB

My last job before I retired I was involved with the Google analytics a bit working with our woman who job it was to design and mod our website to draw people in and get them to explore. I think the numbers are how many visit the site based on if they stay more than N seconds, then if they go to subpages. Somehow from that Google digs up all sorts of demographic info from what pages they were on prior to and where you go next.

I used to be concern about the government snooping, but companies like Google and Apple track everything about our lives. We make it easy with out smartphones that most people keep so much personal info on and carry everywhere. Google and Apple make the two big smartphone operating systems so they see, hear, and read everything.

.. but it drives me absolutely bonkers when somebody "likes" a text message.

This x 1000. Especially when it's a group text and a few people say something funny and everyone else starts liking their posts. I wish my phone had a way to filter those out.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

.. but it drives me absolutely bonkers when somebody "likes" a text message.

This x 1000. Especially when it's a group text and a few people say something funny and everyone else starts liking their posts. I wish my phone had a way to filter those out.

:yeahthat:

:nopity: