Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me choose a new Clonewheel

My trusty Hammond SK2 is a decade old, it's time to upgrade.

I had a Hammond XK3c Pro Kit before that, which was great for its day, but man, carting it around without a big car was an issue. Being able to take the Upper off and use it standalone on a pop gig, then plop it back on the full console was a killer feature, though.

Ideally I want all 5 sets of drawbars, but preset keys are optional.

1) Hammond XK5 - The full Pro 'kit' is like $10k Australian dollars, jesus christ. Also, they've revised the design so you can't take the Upper manual off and on easily? How difficult is it to do now? Might be a deal breaker. Might just get the Upper, which is still $6k, ouch.

2) MAG/HX3 - Thoughts on these? The HX3 engine sounds great in demos.

3) Viscount Legend - Cost effective, great form factor, but I'm not entirely sold on the sound, sounds a bit 'synthy' to my ears. But then, a lot of the pros seem to be using it these days?

4) IK B-3X - Excellent plugin...but how would one get the 'full tactile experience' though? The iPad app into the SK2 maybe?

Any others I should be checking out? I hear Nord have discontinued the C2D, reckon the new one might be worth holding out for (if there is a new one coming)?

Aynsley Green Trio - Caravan

Upper: Sequential OB6 or Roland Fantom 06

Lower: Nord Stage 4 Compact or Yamaha YC88

Sometimes: Hammond SK2, Roland System 8, Roland SH2, Roland SE-02, Roland JX-08, Korg Prologue 16

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are way up there on the dual manual clones list. You may be happy with any one of those. But, if you intend to use one it them as a controller to drive BX3 or whatever the next best software emulation is - which one is the best MIDI controller? Meaning - which one, right now with its current firmware sends midi data that can be fully mapped to all B3X functions from drawbars to CV, Leslie fast/slow/stop, etc. etc.

This sounds like a question for AnotherScott.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I should clarify that I'd rather avoid laptops/iPads/modules on stage, but the IK B-3X sounds so good that I may have to make an exception.

It would be a way to get more lifespan out of the old SK2, I suppose - especially since B-3X already has a MIDI template for it built-in. Or apparently one can install the HX3 circuit board into any clonewheel, with a bit of work? Just thinking aloud here.

Sometimes: Hammond SK2, Roland System 8, Roland SH2, Roland SE-02, Roland JX-08, Korg Prologue 16

In addition to B3X on a Mac OS, iOS or Windows computing device you can also get MAG"s engine running with your SK2 as controller with an HX3 module.

https://shop.keyboardpartner.de/epages/13705466.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/13705466/Categories&Locale=en_GB

Just throwing out options. How different/better or more authentic is the tactile experience of the XK5, Viscount, or MAG vs your SK2? Do you feel B3X or an HX3 is significantly better or more authentic sounding than the SK2? No problem, if so, just use them instead of the internal engine. If an XK5, Viscount or MAG is overall a more complete feeling instrument to you on some level - then there"s no accounting for that⦠trading up is the right answer. I"m sure someone would jump on grabbing a second hand SK2 to use as controller for B3X.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Ah, this looks promising, thank you. Looks like they have the SK2 in mind for modding, this might be a cost-effective solution. If only I knew how to solder!

I used to have a Hammond B3 and Leslie 122, then a Hammond XK3c and XK1c, then a Viscount Legend Solo. I now have a MAG C2 (with options including walnut side panels, light keyboard springs, and inbuilt Mini Vent). The MAG is hands down the best clonewheel I have played. The HX3 engine sounds very authentic and is very customizable, and Max's build quality and personal service are exemplary.

i'm lucky enough to have been able to build my own hx3 organ , i also have just upgraded my 6 year old UHL ( another hx3 organ ) with the newer hx3.5 board .

i've gone through quite a few clones . if i had to start from scratch , i'd go with the MAG . i got to play on one recently . right off the bat , the build quality blew me

away and it's light weight . i think the hx3 sound engine , which it runs on , is currently the best , most analog sounding clone out there . and it feels analog under

the fingers , very musical . they also amplify very well , something that's been one of my biggest frustrations with every digital organ i've ever owned .

unless you can find a vintage Hammond somewhere and can shave it down to 40lbs or so , the MAG , hands down

Mag P2. 5 sets of drawbars, presets and layout like a B3, and Mag is the only one continually refining the sound. The other big thing for me is that you rarely hear about issues, i.e. they dont often break. You can also customize your build. do you want an 11 pin as an option? if so they'll add it.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

The MAG P-2 looks like a winner - all the benefits of the Viscount Legend, but a better sound engine, lol! Thank you lads!

Hi Aynsley,

I'm the Australian distributor for Viscount Legend organs, and have been playing Keyboards/Viscount for about 10 years now. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I'm familiar with MAG organs too, having played one on my European tour in 2019.

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

I notice you don't mention the SKX, I'm guessing you don't mind humping around dead weight!

I bought the XK3c when it came out - still have it - then when I tired of the weight I bought an XK2 and Vent.

It's very flexible and gave me the option of playing alternative external sounds from the lower keyboard..

I love the tweakability and nothing else came close IMHO if you want the portability and the true Hammond sound.

I was lucky enough to spot an SKX Limited Black Edition, so I sold the SK2.

The SKX is finished in black wood, so I took a step back in weight but you can still lift it over your head.

It has a slightly earthier sound than the SK2 it is still head and shoulders above any of the competition from what I can see and hear

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI