Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need a power supply replacement for key largo (15v)

kwyn

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ordered the radial one from sweetwater. Hope it is better than the customer reviews say. Really sucked trying to mix through my pa speaker.

OT question, when I mix through the pa speaker, does the master volume for the zlx12 also raise the volume on the line-out of the zlx12 going into the foh board?

Just ordered the radial one from sweetwater. Hope it is better than the customer reviews say. Really sucked trying to mix through my pa speaker.

OT question, when I mix through the pa speaker, does the master volume for the zlx12 also raise the volume on the line-out of the zlx12 going into the foh board?

I don"t have the zlx12, however I would imagine raising the volume of the amp would not change the line out"s volume. That said, if there is also an input gain setting on the zlx12 - that would increase volume at the line out most likely. But test this behavior either way.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

This is why I refuse to gig with wall warts

It"s a valid reason. It"s hard not to appreciate my PX-560 during load in, changing rooms and load out. So easy to drag around. But dangit, I left the wall wart the other night at the venue. Even after the idiot check. Takes just as long to order the manufacturer"s as it does for me to find and order a match.

I wanted a line-lump style PSU that I could mount under a small pedalboard so the DC connecter could remain permanently attached to the Key Largo. I ordered a "Zozo" brand 36W selectable voltage universal PSU on Amazon. I set it to 15V and gaff taped it to the bottom of a small pedalboard, along with another one at 12V to run the Mini-Vent. I gaff taped them to the bottom of a Pedaltrain Nano and they've both been running happily for about five years now. I keep the official Radial PSU in my bag in case of failure.

Unfortunately it's discontinued. Amazon and other outlets appear to have a very similar unit available under the "Belker" brand as a 45W unit that also goes up to 15V. They sell both a wall wart and a line lump style. Can't personally vouch for the "Belker" as far as including the correct size tip, etc., but it looks almost identical to the one I have. Probably the same design rebranded.

2272.png.29c7d891eabb7c939c1dc1d12fb1d513.png

I wanted a line-lump style PSU that I could mount under a small pedalboard so the DC connecter could remain permanently attached to the Key Largo. I ordered a "Zozo" brand 36W selectable voltage universal PSU on Amazon. I set it to 15V and gaff taped it to the bottom of a small pedalboard, along with another one at 12V to run the Mini-Vent. I gaff taped them to the bottom of a Pedaltrain Nano and they've both been running happily for about five years now. I keep the official Radial PSU in my bag in case of failure.

Unfortunately it's discontinued. Amazon and other outlets appear to have a very similar unit available under the "Belker" brand as a 45W unit that also goes up to 15V. They sell both a wall wart and a line lump style. Can't personally vouch for the "Belker" as far as including the correct size tip, etc., but it looks almost identical to the one I have. Probably the same design rebranded.

Nice find. So you can dial in voltage and it has a variety of connectors. How does it handle polarity and amps?

Nice find. So you can dial in voltage and it has a variety of connectors. How does it handle polarity and amps?

For amperage, the Key Largo will draw whatever it needs, and as long as the power supply is rated for at least that current draw at that voltage, you're good. The stock Radial PSU supplies up to 260mA at 15V. The Belker unit says it supplies up to 2000mA at 15V, so it's got *plenty* of headroom for the job. Same with the old Zozo.

Polarity is correct for the Key Largo (center positive) but if you have center negative devices you need to flip for, they do sell a short cable to reverse polarity.

At one point I had a rig with no wall warts. So great to be able to use any standard power cable, and buy them for the exact length you want. Just have one extra of decent length and you are covered (not that I've ever had one of those go bad.) Besides them being so specific to each piece of gear, the worst part about wall warts are the flimsy tiny cords that tangle and make it more work to run properly (I'm considering shrink wrapping a couple of mine or doing something to give them a bit of "heft".

Having a wall wart is definitely a "con" when considering gear. Not enough of one to be a show-stopper (as my current rig shows, I have three between my MODX, Key Largo and Behringer monitor mixer).

The line lump kind are definitely better than the plug on the wart, interested in that one talked about above.

I have a key largo and got a backup power supply. We can buy it online. Just search for the radial tonebone power supply. It is the same one,

Regards

Dan

Just arrived today from Sweetwater and seems to work. Nervous because of the terrible reviews it got on the Sweetwater website.

I just ordered two of those Belker line lump supplies from Amazon (one for my KL, one for my Lester K). Supposed to arrive Monday, I'll update once I see if they work adequately.

I was due to reconfigure my pedalboard a little bit, this provided a good kick in the pants to do some fiddling.

I just ordered two of those Belker line lump supplies from Amazon (one for my KL, one for my Lester K). Supposed to arrive Monday, I'll update once I see if they work adequately.

I was due to reconfigure my pedalboard a little bit, this provided a good kick in the pants to do some fiddling.

Yes please post on the kl power supply. I'll probably get one more. Don't wanna be caught without one again

The challenge (at least for me) is I need 15v center positive, as well as 9.6v center negative. Those with a Ventilator will need 12v. Most of the guitar pedal power solutions I've seen have an abundance of 9v outputs, with a stray 12v or 18v. Maybe I just don't know enough about guitar pedal solutions.

The challenge (at least for me) is I need 15v center positive, as well as 9.6v center negative. Those with a Ventilator will need 12v. Most of the guitar pedal power solutions I've seen have an abundance of 9v outputs, with a stray 12v or 18v. Maybe I just don't know enough about guitar pedal solutions.

That why I with voltages keyboardists need. I don't think it be hard for them to mod to handle different voltages.

Yep, I was building a pedal board, and trying to find one power brick to do everything I needed was impossible. I needed to power an EH Holy Grail Nano, a Lounsberry Tall & Fat, a Ventilator II and my Key Largo. I ended up making the pedal board big enough to hold a power strip. While it's larger than I was hoping, I have no worries with power and never need to disconnect the Key Largo power supply (or others).

BTW, in my researching this issue, I found on the Radial website that the Key Largo can be powered with an 18v supply, but that it will lose about a year of its projected life span - something like 18 vs. 19 years. Gotta love Radial for that info!

• 3 weeks later...

Just to bring this full circle:

I bought two of those Belker replacements from Amazon. They work very well.

One for the Key Largo, one for the Lester K. Setting the voltage is simple. Had to make sure I bought the little polarity switcher cable for the EH Lester K (it wants pin negative). The line lump bricks are small and easy to velcro to the strips I already have on the pedal board. They're also black matte finish so they easily blend into the pedal board visually. They come with a variety of interchangeable pins of different size (including micro USB and LED light, if you have those kinds of needs).

The only niggle is that the pin that fits the two pedals is a little longer than the pin that comes with the manufacturer's included power supplies - so it doesn't plug in flush with the back of the pedals. No great shakes for me (as it's a stationary install and the entire board loads into it's own ATA case), but be warned.

Other than that, it works great and has cleaned up the pedal board.

End of report.

In hopes of preserving mine, and the one for my Behringer monitor mixer, I have made a "pedalboard" (name applied loosely) with both plugged into a two-pronged power cord...both stay plugged into their units and everything is velcroed in place to the board. Eventually I'd like to make or buy something a bit more elegant. This way the only thing that ever gets plugged power-wise is that power cord and nothing will be putting any stress on the weeny tiny cables and connections.

I got the idea from some of you on here, it's pretty ghetto so far. Ultimately I might want to make or buy something a bit nicer but I'm still in "proof of concept" stages.

I hate wall warts! When I'm 98 years gold grumbling in some home I'll be grumbling about wall warts.