Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2021-2022 Thread

Initially, I thought he was still salty about last year'1st round draft pick. GB QB Aaron Rodgers isn't happy with the contract extension they offered. That will be worked out. He isn't going anywhere. :cool:

ProfD FTW :cheers:

:nopity:

Props to ProfD for being right that Aaron Rodgers wasn't going anywhere. I'm glad he nailed that part. However, it was about other matters than a contract extension.

Aaron Rodgers shared his concerns in a frank press conference, the kind that's rarely seen in professional sports:

Tim Hasselbeck

, "That felt like a conversation you have with a player that's like, 'Hey, I'm going to say all this stuff to you; but you can't use it on TV. I'm going to let you know how I really feel here."

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I only figured AR wasn't going anywhere because I believe he wants to finish out his career with the same team. The Packers got it right in doing whatever it took to keep him there.

In other news, we have the NFL Hall of Fame game this Thursday, 5 August at 8 pm. Football is coming back. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Looks like the Vikings are worried that they'll be affected by some of their biggest stars in covid protocol (they are anti-vaxxing ********s)....

It's hard to like this team :) But I've been saying that since I was a kid in the early 70s!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I've been away for a while. Teaching during a pandemic can do that to you.

There's a palpable excitement among Chicago Bears fans, a sense of optimism that I haven't seen in a while due to what is perceived as a really great series of drafts by the Bears, including Justin Fields. There was never this much excitement about Trubisky. Most Bears fans that I knew had raised their eyebrows at trading up to pick someone who had been relatively unproven in starts. So hopefully the Bears are interesting and competitive. We'll see what they do with Dalton/Fields. But it should be a fun season regardless.

I hope everyone's doing well.

Welcome back, Ken! It's great to see you here. :cool:

I agree that it looks promising for the Bears; and as Rodgers's tenure with the Packers could conceivably end after this season, Chicago could wind up owning the division outright in the not too distant future.

Best,

Geoff

During the HOF game, got a chance to RB Najee Harris with the Steelers. I think they will be fine in that position especially if the O-line continues to shore up.

I agree that newcomers like Justin Fields (Chicago) and Trevor Lawrence (Jaguars) should bring a level of excitement to their respective teams.

This evening, WFT plays the Pats in their 1st preseason game. Of course, it's just a glorified scrimmage but it's football. :D

Regarding my team, I have zero enthusiasm when it comes to the QB position. I don't expect to see the vets get much playing time either. I do hope the O-line shows potential to be better this season. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Welcome back, Ken! It's great to see you here. :cool:

I agree that it looks promising for the Bears; and as Rodgers's tenure with the Packers could conceivably end after this season, Chicago could wind up owning the division outright in the not too distant future.

Good to be back. Been busy. Thanks!

It's quite possible. Difficult to say. If Rodgers is playing, well, that guy is amazing and the Packers have had the Bears' number for years.

For many Bears fans, it would be sweet to have either Dalton, or the presumed future QB, Fields, beat the Packers with Rodgers twice in one season. But baby steps. This is a rebuilding year, and I think most Bears fans would feel good if they are headed in the right direction and everything looks promising. If they get into the playoffs in a more convincing manner than last season, that would be even better.

Bear down!

I caught some of the Packers/Texans preseason game today. The Packers' uniforms weren't the only thing looking green on the team today, as some of the veterans didn't even suit up. Jordan Love played for the entire first half. For the most part, he looked competent but unspectacular. On the lone touchdown drive, he looked promising. At this point, he seems like a good backup but not ready for prime time. Of course, it's early yet.

Houston, on the other hand, played as well as one could expect for this type of game, outscoring Green Bay 26-7. I didn't expect much from them this year, but you never know...

Best,

Geoff

It's hard to know since it's pre-season, and JOrdan Love is likely playing with 2nd and 3rd stringers.

I watched the Bears-Dolphins pre-season game yesterday. After a few hiccups, including fumbling a ball during a run, Justin Fields, looked good. He looked poised, comfortable, fast, and decisive. Khalil Herbert, a rookie running back that I believe was drafted in the 6th round, also looked good.

It'll be interesting to see what the Bears do. They have three QBs (Dalton and Foles are the other two) and had a good draft. Who knows? Maybe they will look more energized like the 2018 season.

• 2 weeks later...
So far, only four of us have enlisted. I hope we can at least double that to have a more competitive contest. Any takers?

Of course, I'll join the fray as usual. :D:cool:

PD

Sometimes, those personal choices can come back to haunt you.

I was surprised when the Pats picked him up in the first place, but I guess they figured it was a grand experiment.

Just read a report that Cam may have problems even getting picked up as backup due to his dominant personality and refusal to get vaccinated.

I read that Cam spent too much time DANCING after he made a good play. Maybe he thought he had the job or did not take his role seriously enough for Hoody. According to the NFL website, Mac Jones took the job away from CAM. NFL stands for NOT FOR LONG

Mike T..

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Cam Newton has had a 10 year career, MVP winner, made a Super Bowl appearance and he's rich. If he never plays another down of football, in his own words, "he's good". At 32 years young and considering his personality, I'm fairly certain he'll have opportunities to do other things with his life. ð

PD

I suppose, but knowing the personality of athletes, they want to compete and win. I don't think it's just about accolades and getting rich for athletes or we wouldn't have bothered playing with the Patriots. I think the guy just makes poor decisions at times.

Jones played better than CAM. He took the job away from him. What's more, Jones will get a Rookie contract. I'm not sure why CAM didn't get the Covid19 shots. He gave Hoody and easy decision.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Agreed. Getting a vaccination should be an easy decision for him.

Meanwhile, Justin Fields was apparently voted the Rookie of the Year for the pre-season. I know, I know, it's the pre-season, but hey, it's still cool.

Meanwhile, Justin Fields was apparently voted the Rookie of the Year for the pre-season. I know, I know, it's the pre-season, but hey, it's still cool.

I"m curious to see how long Andy Dalton will be allowed to be play before Bears fans start calling for the rookie. :D:cool:

PD

The season is underway, and the Buccaneers have scored the first touchdown.

It's not too late to join the Pick 'em Pool. If you join before Sunday, you'll only have missed the first game. We only have six people right now. It would be great to have a few more.

Best,

Geoff

I"m curious to see how long Andy Dalton will be allowed to be play before Bears fans start calling for the rookie. :D:cool:

The subject of endless debate among Bears fans.

It ranges from "They need to start Fields now! He's the better QB! Look how he played in the pre-season" (yeah, against second and third-stringers) to "No! The Rams will kill him! Dalton should be their tackling dummy!" to "Sit him for the first year like Mahomes!" to "Play him toward the middle of the season or so if they are losing, but if Dalton is winning, keep it going!"

The thing is that the Bears' o-line is horrible, and I really hope Fields doesn't begin playing because Dalton is injured or some such thing. Regardless, I hope that Coach Nagy can get back to playing a more inventive, creative sort of offense, and not the staid, pedantic "QB with training wheels" offense that's plagued the Bears for the past couple of seasons.

While it didn't work out so well for me in Pick Em, the NFL season started off great with the Bucs handing the Cowbums their first L of the season. :laugh::cool:

PD

WFT played as I expected. Offense was anemic. Defense played well but gave up too many big pass plays. We cannot afford to let teams score more than 14 points if we stand any chance of winning a game. :laugh::cool:

PD

Interestingly, all of the teams in the NFC West won their season openers, while all of the teams in the NFC North lost, leaving all of those teams tied for first (and last) in their divisions.

Today"s 38-3 loss by the Packers was the worst in Aaron Rodgers"s career. The only positive from the day for Green Bay fans was the chance to watch Jordan Love play in his first regular season game (Rodgers was benched after the game was essentially lost). I also enjoyed watching Randall Cobb catch a pass in a Packers uniform again. It was a preview of the future coupled with a blast from the past.

Otherwise, it was tough to watch Green Bay get dominated on both sides of the ball. Fortunately, one game does not a season make.

Best,

Geoff