Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Tutorial Vids thread 2021

CEB

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Dr. John DVDs but no longer have a player so it's fun to find the vid on utoob. When I watched the DVDs when I first got them, I just smiled and knew that he was way too advanced for me. What I love about the DVDs/videos is that he just plays the music. When Happy Traum asks him to break something down, all he can do is slow it down. Happy asks him to show left hand and right hand and Dr, John plays the left hand maybe slowed down but then automatically starts playing the right hand. It's as if he can't NOT play with both hands and at tempo. He just is Dr. John playing the piano. He can't explain much about what he's doing. He can show you some of it, slowed down for a minute or two, but then he's just playing again at tempo. :) I love it. He is what he is. He plays what he plays. What's amazing is that he started out as a guitar player but picked up piano after his hand got shot. That doesn't seem to have affected his keyboard skills. The video shows his patterns from overhead. I noticed that he a does a lot of 10ths in his left hand. I can stretch to a minor 10th but he's doing major 10ths all over the place with ease. I accepted a long time ago that I would never be even a poor Dr. John clone.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I have the Dr. John DVDs but no longer have a player so it's fun to find the vid on utoob. When I watched the DVDs when I first got them, I just smiled and knew that he was way too advanced for me. What I love about the DVDs/videos is that he just plays the music. When Happy Traum asks him to break something down, all he can do is slow it down. Happy asks him to show left hand and right hand and Dr, John plays the left hand maybe slowed down but then automatically starts playing the right hand. It's as if he can't NOT play with both hands and at tempo. He just is Dr. John playing the piano. He can't explain much about what he's doing. He can show you some of it, slowed down for a minute or two, but then he's just playing again at tempo. :) I love it. He is what he is. He plays what he plays. What's amazing is that he started out as a guitar player but picked up piano after his hand got shot. That doesn't seem to have affected his keyboard skills. The video shows his patterns from overhead. I noticed that he a does a lot of 10ths in his left hand. I can stretch to a minor 10th but he's doing major 10ths all over the place with ease. I accepted a long time ago that I would be never be even a poor Dr. John clone.

Jon Cleary did a video on Dr John and he said Dr John had small hands but using the pedal and rolling he could do 10th and make them look simple. I never got to meet the Good Doctor but I did get to know a bunch of guys that played in his band and go to some video shoots. Always a great show from Mac. All the guys I met who played with him loved working for him.

Thanks DJazz - I really enjoyed your playing. I appreciate the overhead view. I'd be interested to know what you do with the pedals on these tunes.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

Thank you Bb!

I"m playing the pedals mostly as percussion, sometimes called 'tapping' or 'thumping'. As long as you keep the note short, any note will do.

Then I add some accents once in a while by playing a longer note, so its pitch is audible. This is all pretty traditional, back to Jimmy Smith.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.