Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Post-flood music room: flooring ideas?

cedar

Alas, my music room -- discussed here https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2951608/my_new_music_room -- needs a new floor, post Ida. Carpeting got soaked through, as well as the floor that was underneath.

Over the past couple of years, I came to appreciate the carpeting. I think it helped make the room sound much less bright, and that was definitely a good thing. (We also used a small portion of the room for exercising too.)

My first reaction was that I should just replace the carpeting. We've been in the house for over 20 years, and this was the first time that water got into that particular room. On the other hand, it would be foolish to assume it won't happen again. And perhaps, through a combination of sound treatments and area rugs, I could achieve the same - or even better - sound. Maybe there's even some kind of removable flooring that would be suitable.

Any recommendations/advice?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew to dislike carpets because of all the things I've read about them breaking down into little bits, causing allergies etc. Then again, the ability to trap dust and allergies some see as a good thing :) I just know that every time I went to carpet clean, it seemed like I could run over a stretch 10 times and the water stayed murky brown...

Apparently some of the newer carpets don't break down nearly as much as the older ones. Again whether any of that is a concern, not sure. One thing for sure--my dog vastly preferred carpet over tile, and especially hardwood! She definitely stays to the area rugs to avoid slipping.

My current room is tile but I have area rugs. It's a pretty live room but I don't think the floor is my problem, it's the really tall ceiling and the walls, so I mostly use headphones.

If I get another house what I plan to do is buy those "puzzle piece" rubber floor tiles like used in gyms. They are tough designed for people dropping weights on, should deaden sound like carpet, easy to clean with a damp mop. and just buy pieces and lay them out.

If I get another house what I plan to do is buy those "puzzle piece" rubber floor tiles like used in gyms. They are tough designed for people dropping weights on, should deaden sound like carpet, easy to clean with a damp mop. and just buy pieces and lay them out.

I like that idea, but wonder also if you could use cork flooring. Some sound absortion, click together, no need to glue, eco-sustainable, removable.

Here for the gear.

I like that idea, but wonder also if you could use cork flooring. Some sound absortion, click together, no need to glue, eco-sustainable, removable.

The rubber "puzzle piece" lock together like puzzle pieces so no glue and can remove them as pieces if necessary.

My investigation for when we ultimately replace the carpet in my studio led to a lot of good acoustic points for vinyl flooring -- similar sonic character to wood, but much easier and less expensive to install. My wife and I were also looking into some of the acoustic floor padding to go underneath the vinyl, to quiet things down a bit.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

If you have the height. Do a sub floor to get all your stuff two inches off the cement.

Vinyl plank flooring is what I would do. Carpet can be rolled up and thrown out but holds dampness and odors.

I have seen basement flooring with rubber feet that allows air to pass between the feet. I"d have to Google to find what it"s called again. And of course - what it costs per sq ft.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Upon further research, I am coming to conclusion that vinyl flooring makes sense, probably supplemented by some area rugs.

I'm expecting the room will seem brighter than I want (or am accustomed to), but I guess I can always add additional sound treatments to the walls or ceiling if needed.

I'm with Elmer on the vinyl plank flooring suggestion (technically, I think it is often referred to as "Luxury Vinyl Plank").

Basically, like plank flooring that you fit together, but is made of vinyl so no problem with moisture

Caveat: No personal experience with it, but have done a lot of online research (and asking people in stores) into how best to treat my concrete basement floors.

Luxury Vinyl Plank is the one everybody suggest is the safest way to go for basement flooring, due to moisture concerns (not only from flooding, but moisture release from below). Of course concrete or actual ceramic tile is also ok.

I imagine vinyl flooring should also be ok too, but (from what I have read) it takes more floor prep work, subflooring, etc., to make it look good.

Whereas (supposedly) Luxurious vinyl plank flooring can be laid directly down onto a cement floor, as long as the floor is relatively flat.

Again - no expert, just comments based on research from the interwebs.

PS - a comment about carpeted floors:

I converted ~half of my basement into a low-budget recording studio/practice place about 10 years ago.

During my research, several sources noted that for the most "natural" sound, it is better to use a hard/reflective surface on the floors, and sound treat the walls (and especially ceiling if it is not high) when recording acoustic instruments.

Something about the psycho-acoustics of how the human ear is used to hearing sound reflections (especially important for drums).

Probably why lots of studios have a hard wooden floors with throw rugs as you suggest.

So, I kept the concrete floor (painted it), but made a lot of the sound-absorbing panels to hang strategically on the walls, and stuffed the joists in the ceiling above with the cotton-based insulation (then covered it up). Made a huge difference in how the room sounds.

But what do I know, I'm just a hack. So take the advice above with a grain of salt. Or maybe a shakerfull.

I just put vinyl plank flooring down in my studio/office. I don"t have the height for a sub-floor so I placed it right on the concrete. It is flexible enough to go down on a relatively flat floor with imperfections. They make it in various thicknesses, with or without a foam cushion already on each plank. I went with 5mm thick with the foam. Nicer for stepping on. I recently had some water from the washing machine on it. Shop vacuumed it up and ran the dehumidifier on high for the night. My space is 11 by 11 so not that much area too cover. You can save some money by Going with 3 mm instead of 5 mm thickness.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Just did some different mixed flooring at my Fiance's house, where I'll eventually be moving. Hate carpeting. It retains dirt/dust, odors , and other nasty stuff.

We did Pergo in what will be a temporary 15x 18 studio area of her bonus room at ground level. Did the Luxury Vinyl in large 10x10 closet in her garage that's prone to occasional water ( and pet accidents...) that I converted into my office. I'm also building a 15x15 "He-Shed" that will be my actual studio up on the property aways from the main house. Using Vinyl flooring and throw rugs over concrete slab. I'll be able to save $$ doing studio flooring install myself, and it's perfect for use here in humid Georgia.

The Pergo room has upgraded underlayment, but even with throw rugs it's super reflective and sounds awful. Granted I haven't done any room treatment, don't plan on being in there long enough and we'll convert it to an exercise/guest room later on.

I stay away from sharp moving tools, so I paid to have the Pergo installed and it at least looks great. I put the Vinyl in the office myself, which can literally be installed with scissors (...or in my case a paper-cutter). As Elmer said, it's very forgiving of imperfections, and can be put down over just about any surface except carpet. Vinyl has gotten so much nicer than the stuff you typically see at the local Wal-mart (usually in the clothes area.). I have a friend that owns multiple rental properties, and he's put it in all of them and they look great, and hold up to abuse.

In my current home and studio, (Ranch on slab) I had a flood from burst pipe, and ripped out all carpeting and old laminate. I toyed with the idea of acid stained cement floors, but went with Bamboo, as Acid staining was actually more expensive to do, and it's toxic as hell. Got the Bamboo at great price - and had a friend help with the install (and cutting!). I looked at Vinyl back then, but it wasn't as nice and thick as it now. I've been happy with the Bamboo in the studio (with bass traps and lots of IKEA fake persian rugs), but wouldn't hesitate to do Vinyl in the future.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I've gotten into the habit of scouring around for used rugs, usually with a persian pattern. $20 here, $30 there, maybe $50 -- and I have wall-to-wall thick floor rugs that I really don't care that much about. Usually there's a pet stain or two, which I don't care about given all the spilling that goes on in my music house. Acoustically, it's a dream. And they look pretty good.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I just put vinyl plank flooring down in my studio/office. I don"t have the height for a sub-floor so I placed it right on the concrete. It is flexible enough to go down on a relatively flat floor with imperfections. They make it in various thicknesses, with or without a foam cushion already on each plank. I went with 5mm thick with the foam. Nicer for stepping on. I recently had some water from the washing machine on it. Shop vacuumed it up and ran the dehumidifier on high for the night. My space is 11 by 11 so not that much area too cover. You can save some money by Going with 3 mm instead of 5 mm thickness.

This is what I would use. The price is not bad, works well on concrete, and will absorbe a bit of sound. Rugs can do the rest. We have it on the lower floors of the farm house and it is care free. We love it.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page