Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best non B3 Hammond for gigging?

If you had to choose an A100 series for gigging, which one would it be? The A102 is immediately eliminated due to the fragile legs. A143 for the same reason.

Lots of A100's around but is the legless design more tippy on the Roll r Kari's than other models? The A105 has a sturdy base but is it any lighter with the speakers removed than a C3?

I'm leaning toward the A101 or A122 for the fact that the legs are tied to the cabinet base.

What say you?

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

I owned three B-3's. a BC, two C-3, an A-102 and an A-100 with a 122 leslie which I have right now. the weakest Hammond I owned was the B-3's. sounded weak, not ballsy. My BC was poor. one of my C-3s, was one of the best. the other C-3 was very poor. My present A-100 beats them all except for my A-102. my A-102 was the very best. My A-100 is solid, ballsy and screams, but not quite what my A-102 sounded like. I laugh when I hear, got to have a B-3. every Hammond sounds different. pick the one that sounds best to you. Larry......long time Hammond player from New York, to New Orleans, and now Florida. and I kick pedals, the way it was meant to be.

Way back when I was able to finally afford an upgrade from my Hammond M1, I purposely got a C3 in preference to a B3. Yes, they are a bit heavier but less top heavy. Moreover I had seen and heard enough stories of B3s shifting in the truck or trailer or the load shifting or both and the legs breaking on the B. I never looked back. A 1959 bought in 1973 and I still have it. They just looked cool especially the quatrefoil models. Don't gig with it anymore since the old back prefers the XK5 these days but still a sturdy piece of gear.