Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New York Times Weighs In on Best Beginner Keyboard

Best Budget Digital Piano for Beginners

Seems like a reasonable top pick with the Casio, but an odd set of options to choose from in the 'competition' section⦠why no Privias? Or a suggestion to try the used market? Bit arbitrary to limit beginners only to the absolute cheapest, under-$500 models. It"s like saying you need to buy a Squire and nothing better if you want to learn guitar.

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'yet it still offers an accurate piano feel'

that"s a telling claim right there.

these are really the rock bottom under $500 picks, but he does say budget digital pianos. of the three I"d suggest the FP-10 for beginners. the current fascination with getting the instruments slim as a priority over 'accurate piano feel' is what it is. on the up side, weighted action keyboards that sound good have never been so cheap.

On a side topic, although only 61 keys and not weighted, the Casio CT-S1 at under $200 sounds very good. I"m a bit miffed I picked up the CT-S300 just before the S1 came out.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

"Or a suggestion to try the used market?"

Because the Wirecutter makes money through affiliate links. That's why it's not behind a paywall, unlike the rest of The NY Times.

That, and if you open up the choices to the used market, you suddenly increase the available instruments by an order of magnitude, or several. Besides, when have you ever seen a review or comparison talk about the used market, unless it's on Reverb or eBay or similar?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I mean, not too put too fine a point on it because it doesn"t matter, but plenty of precedent out there for citing the used market:

How to buy a used PC

What to know before you buy refurbished

How to buy an office chair secondhand

But Wirecutter aside, it seems strange that more 'roundup'-type instrument reviews don"t cite used prices - especially now that you can use eBay or reverb search functions to get a decent sample size for sales. I think it would help folks to have that information upfront!

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3