Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Breaks- solo gigs

Wonder if people who play upscale restaurants can share how much break time the restaurant allows between sets. For a 4 hour gig, I like an hour on, 1/2 off and did that at one place for a while with no problem.

I filled in once at a different place, high end steakhouse and was told by agent the old 40/20 or however you want. That gig went good and they want me back, but was sent a contract stating 50 on 10 off. And show up a half hour before the gig actually starts. It's their grand piano, so no set up time for me.

Are other players under these circumstances with a contract at high end places? Ten minutes is not much of a break for the fingers. And to show up and do nothing for 30 minutes?

Is this the standard now?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if people who play upscale restaurants can share how much break time the restaurant allows between sets. For a 4 hour gig, I like an hour on, 1/2 off and did that at one place for a while with no problem.

I filled in once at a different place, high end steakhouse and was told by agent the old 40/20 or however take a 420 break anytime you want. That gig went good and they want me back, but was sent a contract stating 50 on 10 off. And show up a half hour before the gig actually starts. It's their grand piano, so no set up time for me.

Are other players under these circumstances with a contract at high end places? Ten minutes is not much of a break for the fingers. And to show up and do nothing for 30 minutes?

Is this the standard now?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I've been doing a solo for about 25 years now & it's basically been 40/20. That said, I usually do about an hour & twenty minutes for the first set, 20/40 for the next two then that leaves about 20/15 for the last one. I think I had come up with that formula before because the first hour & a half was their busiest time. Sometimes the subs I put in there will do longer sets & shorter breaks but the owner/managers (they've gone through 3 different ownerships during that time) haven't asked me why I don't do the same.

For years at my piano bar gig I never took breaks (stupid, I know). My reasoning was that if I wasn't behind the piano, no $$$ was going into the tip jar. My reward for that a few years ago was a nasty blood clot in my right leg. These days I play about an hour, then take 10 mins, maybe a bit more if it's not busy.....

I'm with Rod, I aim for 45/15 ish, but will also play to the room when it's busy and will make it up accordingly. I've killed my hands doing 1 hours sets and minimal breaks.

If I've learned anything, is you have to educate the managers. 50/10 is simply not realistic. I mostly self book through website agencies, and state my own break times. Most of the few remaining agents I deal with are pianists themselves, so they don't push it too much.

When I was regulary doing hotel gigs, was constantly battling idiot Food & Beverage managers fresh out of hospitality school; They'd insist that I (or my duo/trio) follow strict performance schedules- Make us go on when there was no one in the room, then break just when the next wave of crowd came in.

I routinely show up at least 30 minutes earlier or more even if it's a house piano. I often bring my own stool, and need to get my ipad powered etc, so not a big deal and it does help the client know you're there.

I'm sure you already know this: never forget to ask for the house music to be put back on during your break so the dead air isn't obvious while you breathe for a minute.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Sounds like an owner obsessed with always feeling like he"s winning.

Of course it"s great to even have a gig these days.

But stop in face to face (no phone or conference call nonsense) and work out 45/15 and let him know in the hours the place is busy you"ll do 50/10 but it doesn"t need to be on paper.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

When I was regulary doing hotel gigs, was constantly battling idiot Food & Beverage managers fresh out of hospitality school; They'd insist that I (or my duo/trio) follow strict performance schedules- Make us go on when there was no one in the room, then break just when the next wave of crowd came in.

This.

I"ve always worked the room. I do usually do a long first set, as my gig started at 8pm, and I wanted to grab the crowd while the getting was good. And here on Maui things close up pretty early, so my later sets were almost always me practicing for myself.

I find it interesting that a number of you mention hands hurting from playing long sets. I"ve never had that issue⦠Early on in my more professional studies I was taught the Alexander Technique of muscle relaxation, and not wasting energy or tension in the hands/arms/shoulders etc. Once we"ve pushed that hammer forward there"s nothing more to be done⦠so learning to keep tension out of your body is important. Im not criticizing, or lecturing, I"m just curious about this issue.

Jerry

I play a number of solo gigs at upscale restaurants. I usually take one ten minute break for a 3 hr gig. Sometime I take a couple breaks, but never more than15 minutes for the 3 hr set. I like to play. Do you guys think I'm crazy???

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

I've always tried to set expectations ahead of time. This is good practice in any business relationship, especially where there is a financial contract (money is changing hands).

What I've found over the years is that there is no "normal" practice. Every client has their own idea what is to be normally expected of the solo piano player.

For some, they expect a 10-15 minute break in between sets, which are to run 45 to 50 minutes on the dot.

Others are really flexible, but don't you dare try to sell your CD between sets (I didn't have one).

Others only give one set break, but that's to serve you a ribeye steak dinner and scotch so you can take 45 minutes.

Another was do whatever you want, just don't make the breaks too long...but not a drop of alcohol while you're working for us cause of that last guy.

So I ask what they expect or prefer before the gig. And unless it's totally unreasonable, I try to go with it...because it's not like I'm on my feet dancing the entire night, and as we all know solo piano is more taxing mentally than physically.

Just my 0.02

Tim

I grew up on 40/20. This was old school from the jazz era and still was the norm during the 70s when I was playing full time. 6 days a week, 4-5 sets each day.

40/20 to me is a way to give musicians enough down time to recharge. If you look into other areas of intense mental work you"ll find lots of folks saying never go more than an hour. Then do something else for a while. I imagine the 40/20 rule coming from an era where professional players might have gigs for 10 hours a day. 40/20 is like setting aside one day of rest per week.

But the times have changed. It"s a buyers market with 10 musicians lining up for each job. If I got paid today at the minimum rate for a 70s (mediocre) band I"d be pulling in $4-500 a night. So we deal in realities.

I do want to point out that from a customer"s perspective having the music stop for chunks of time can be beneficial. Time to talk together. Time recognize that maybe you like the music and want it to come back. And be ready for a second set.

From a restaurant manager"s perspective having the music stop is a way to politely clear out tables for more paying customers. And the stopping and starting can, if done properly, adds some drama to the customer experience.

Always 50/10 solo gigs, 45/15 band. Any longer than that and I've found you "lose" the audience.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

They"ve always been 45/15.

I usually do this and stretch the 15s here and there. I also usually play at least an hour or an hour ten for the first set so that I have more off time to play with later.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

From a restaurant manager"s perspective having the music stop is a way to politely clear out tables for more paying customers. And the stopping and starting can, if done properly, adds some drama to the customer experience.

Yeah....I had a guy who hired me back in Atlanta in the 80's who told me upfront, "Don't play anything too interesting for the first hour and a half or so..." This made it the gig I was BORN to play....really his point was, it was a really small restaurant and he had to turn the room over at least once in order to make any money.....

Thanks for the responses. This is the first time I had to sign a solo contract so seeing the terms in there made me wonder how strict. Other places you play, and you just work it out.

But the gig pays good bread, so I contacted the agent and asked about it. The 30 min arrival before gig is just for traffic consideration. Breaks can go 20 but no more.

In the end, got to keep it pro. Included dress. So, nothing to worry about. I'll ask the management there what he wants and that's it.

It's good to have a solo gig for a couple months. I'm wondering if I'll have to wear a mask. I prefer not, as I'm away from people on stage but whatever the rules are as I'm vaccinated.

Thanks again

I think what I love most about solo gigs is the opportunity to read the room and react to it without having to consult anyone else. Sometimes the listener's ears need a break no matter how well you're playing. Sometimes you need to keep rolling. I'm a middling solo piano player, but a very good room reader.

That said, the best laid plans can backfire. I once plowed through two and a half hours of a gig with barely a break because I felt it was needed. End of the night but still wtthin the gig clock I'm at the bar eating soup when the manager walks in, sees me slacking, the next week I'm fired.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

In "Barb and Star go to Vista Del Mar," Richard Cheese is the lounge pianist. He said, "Okay, I'm gonna take a short break but I'll be right back." "Okay, I'm back."

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Nobody asked (including the OP), but because I've been knee deep in this for decades (my own career, teaching, exec coaching and consulting), I'm just going to mention this:

To my way of thinking, most long-term success in business can be distilled to two things:

1) communication

2) trust

With regards to business relationships, the better I am at communicating what I want, my intent, desires and expectations, the better outcomes I typically get at the end of the day. And the better I am at listening and really hearing what others want, fear, desire and expect, the better I will be able to meet and surpass what they want and hope for. Related to this, the more focused, deliberate and intentional I am at building trust with someone else (and that means being trustable, as well as being objective and honest with my own willingness or reluctance to trust), the better outcomes we both get out of the engagement - in shorter time. And this kind of business relationship routinely protects against competitors or options with lower prices, more feature or benefits, etc.

And it's more human, more satisfying and ultimately makes for more enjoyable work all the way around.

We tend to focus upon product, technique, hardware, gear and the like. Or how well we play versus some other gal or guy. Sure, a baseline of competency in any field is required or why are we even talking. But the truth is to the client, this is a business relationship the moment that money entered the conversation. And that's why when questions like this arise, my first thoughts always run to the topics of communication with the client and building trust.

I think this transcends industries, products, services...and could actually be extrapolated to all of life and all of interpersonal relationships. But that's for another forum, I guess.

Just my 0.02.

Tim

Nobody asked (including the OP), but because I've been knee deep in this for decades (my own career, teaching, exec coaching and consulting), I'm just going to mention this:

To my way of thinking, most long-term success in business can be distilled to two things:

1) communication

2) trust

With regards to business relationships, the better I am at communicating what I want, my intent, desires and expectations, the better outcomes I typically get at the end of the day. And the better I am at listening and really hearing what others want, fear, desire and expect, the better I will be able to meet and surpass what they want and hope for. Related to this, the more focused, deliberate and intentional I am at building trust with someone else (and that means being trustable, as well as being objective and honest with my own willingness or reluctance to trust), the better outcomes we both get out of the engagement - in shorter time. And this kind of business relationship routinely protects against competitors or options with lower prices, more feature or benefits, etc.

And it's more human, more satisfying and ultimately makes for more enjoyable work all the way around.

We tend to focus upon product, technique, hardware, gear and the like. Or how well we play versus some other gal or guy. Sure, a baseline of competency in any field is required or why are we even talking. But the truth is to the client, this is a business relationship the moment that money entered the conversation. And that's why when questions like this arise, my first thoughts always run to the topics of communication with the client and building trust.

I think this transcends industries, products, services...and could actually be extrapolated to all of life and all of interpersonal relationships. But that's for another forum, I guess.

Just my 0.02.

Tim

Tim, that was WAY too deep for here ;):D

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Actually Tim speaks a very good truth. It always boils down to relationships. I posted before that Solo work has always kept me working, especially when band gigs are dry. I know I'm not the only one in my market looking to fill up my calendar.

As instrumental pianists, we can't really interact with a crowd the same as when doing a vocal gig, but it never hurts to establish trust with those who employ (and support) us. It's those things the gatekeepers remember when re-booking.

I've been accused of doing it as a "Machiavellian- Jedi Mind trick" LOL but I make it point: to learn manager names, bartender names and still will ask the crowd to take care of said bartenders if I have a mic. I also make sure I tip them, even it's for seltzer...

I'll briefly chat and say hello to guests at their table, especially if they've made requests (and tipped....). Before I do any new gig , I always ask the agent for his/her cards to put on the piano so they know I won't snake their gig.

These days I'm doing more country club weekly dinner events than restaurants, and it's amazing to find how much pull the members have in getting you asked back.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.