Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn. Yeah, just saw this on another page. Rest in peace, Charlie Watts. Your legacy is that you made some of the most danceable drum beats in all of popular music.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Sad for the living. He seems to have lived a full life. He has been part of something which inspired joy and significantly impacted the world he lived in. He had more than 15 minutes and will be remembered through the music and videos as well as the place he earned in the history records.

I remember hearing 'Satisfaction ' for the first time. That beat! That fill after 'â¦no no-no noâ¦'. My life immediately veered off in the R"n"R direction. First drum lessons, later piano.

RIP, Charlie.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

I am so bummed to hear this. I have loved the Rolling Stones since my very first time riding in the car with my mom in the '70s and I heard Beast of Burden on the car radio. My friend's older sister brought over her albums and we listened to Some Girls and Emotional Rescue in that era. One of the first albums I bought was Tattoo You and I still listen to all of those things quite often. I saw the Stones a few times live and have always been a big fan.

Rest easy, Mr. Watts. I'll be playing a constant Rolling Stones playlist in the coming days. My band will be playing Miss You at our gig this weekend.

"Don't you ever call me 'your drummer' again!

You're my f*cking singer!"

~ Charlie Watts to Mick Jagger

"Charlie Watts has always been

the bed that I lie on musically."

~ Keith Richards

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

I am so bummed to hear this. I have loved the Rolling Stones since my very first time riding in the car with my mom in the '70s and I heard Beast of Burden on the car radio. My friend's older sister brought over her albums and we listened to Some Girls and Emotional Rescue in that era. One of the first albums I bought was Tattoo You and I still listen to all of those things quite often. I saw the Stones a few times live and have always been a big fan.

Rest easy, Mr. Watts. I'll be playing a constant Rolling Stones playlist in the coming days. My band will be playing Miss You at our gig this weekend.

Eric they are coming out with a new Tattoo You commemorative album with 9 additional tracks. It's a great album.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I learned to rock listening to the Stones. Huge fan, always loved his playing. One of my favorite moments happens on "Get Yer Ya's out" where there's some back and forth between Jagger and Charlie, complete with guitars feeding back, right before they launch into "Honkey Tonk Women". Pure rock rawness. I'd be very surprised if it was staged. It beautifully illustrates Charlie's swinging jazz feel put to rock. RIP Charlie. Thanks for the grooves, the impact, the music.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

RIP Charlie.

There were rarely any surprises with Charlie Watts. He held down the rhythm with almost the same drum set for decades. But every now and then....like his drum lick at the start of Let It Bleed's Monkey Man, Charlie would play with bedlam and fury.

Steve Coscia

One of the things I thought was really cool on the later Stones studio albums was how prominent they made the drums. For example, right off the bat, the first track on Bridges to Babylon, Flip the Switch, starts out with Charlie before the guitars come in. Boom! And of course he doesn't let up for the rest of the track nor does he disappear in the mix. The drums are clear as day.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Well my days of going to a live Stones concert are over, no drummer can ever replace Charlie in reminding Keef or Ronnie where 1 is.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I learned to rock listening to the Stones. Huge fan, always loved his playing. One of my favorite moments happens on "Get Yer Ya's out" where there's some back and forth between Jagger and Charlie, complete with guitars feeding back, right before they launch into "Honkey Tonk Women". Pure rock rawness. I'd be very surprised if it was staged. It beautifully illustrates Charlie's swinging jazz feel put to rock. RIP Charlie. Thanks for the grooves, the impact, the music.

Yeah, that's awesome. The version of Midnight Rambler from Ya Ya's is a deep lesson in using tempo change as a form of expression, Charlie is flawlessly raw and perfect at the same time. It almost sounds like he is playing Keith's guitar too, they are locked.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

... The version of Midnight Rambler from Ya Ya's is a deep lesson in using tempo change as a form of expression, Charlie is flawlessly raw and perfect at the same time. It almost sounds like he is playing Keith's guitar too, they are locked.

Someone just asked me what would be the definitive must listen for anyone who wanted to appreciate his playing. Without hesitation, I said "Midnight Rambled from Get Yer Ya Ya's Out".

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

We're going to be doing a bunch of Stones songs in tribute at rehearsal tomorrow, including "Midnight Rambler".

Years ago, I thought Charlie Watts was the "old man" of the Stones, but actually that was Bill Wyman.

It's amazing how most of the great rock drummers of the 60's started in jazz (even Ringo had a bit of Big Band in him).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager