Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Sue Steel.

We all lost a good friend to this community, Sue Steel.

From a friend's post on Sue''s Facebook page:

It is with profound sadness that I share this with my friends on Facebook. This picture captures Sue Steel"s inner and outer beauty so perfectly. Rest In Peace dear Sue and thank you for generously sharing your musical talent and passion with me and the entire community. My deepest and heartfelt condolences are extended to her family.

Sue Steel Obituary.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sue was humble, kind, and always helpful. I wish she were still with us now.

Whenever someone important to this forum passes, I look up their old posts in remembrance. Sue's final post here was in appreciation of Sven.

All posts made by gangsu

We will all miss you, Sue.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

OMG, such a shock. She had such a calming presence on the forum, and as stated, was always so kind-hearted and generous.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Wow. This one hits close to home.

Several years ago, Sue and her husband were my houseguests. I had a great time hosting them.

My fondest memory will be giving Sue a tutorial in cooking fried chicken. :laugh:

Sue was a beautiful spirit, an excellent musician and had a wonderful sense of humor. RiP Ms. Steel. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I had to wait a bit before commenting on Sue's passing. As many here have already said, she was a special person, curious of any musical or human situation she would encounter. Her witty, personal and sometimes naive remarks have made her quite a character around KC, and regardless of the subject, she always brought an alive, life-loving perspective.

We jokingly fought sometimes about some musical matter, and at one point I received a (physical) postcard that she had designed, with big piano keys as the main picture, and dB's face in the shape of a stamp! And the *real* stamps she used to send the postcard included one dedicated to Oscar Peterson. (she was Canadian after all)

She was an enthusiastic pianist, with an humble and humorous attitude toward the "experts" on the forum, me included - always ready to poke us so that we couldn't assume an air of superiority. And doing so in this 99% male landscape took, well, some balls. :)

I browsed thru her posts a bit (thanks Geoff!), and recalled her levity and playfulness.

Ciao Gangsu! When we think of you, you will always bring a smile on our souls.

What a bummer. Thanks for being you, Sue. We are lucky that she was part of our community.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Sue had a perspective of piano musicianship that I found refreshing. I know a few classical piano teacher colleagues that have a genuine interest in jazz and improvisation, yet lack the skills and knowledge to impress. However, many have impressive backgrounds in classical performance and reading skills. Sue was like that. I remember her critique of one of my reharm posts that delved into the technical aspect of my playing, like a good piano teacher would. I really appreciated her comments. RIL Sue.

So sad. Such a lovely person to communicate with via these threads. I remember fondly sharing information with her on vintage gear she hadnt heard of before. Always enjoyed her information she shared with us.

She left her mark on this forum. Respected & Never forgotten.

I am so sad to hear this. It took a few days to let the news sink in. We met when I worked for GEM and spoke many times since. Sue was a very kind person and quite witty. It's great how a forum like this allows folks to get to know each other without ever actually meeting face to face. I felt a real sense of loss upon hearing the news. She was far too young.

RIP Sue 'gangsu' Steel

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Sue was one of the first, frequent posters I noticed when I was a newbie here in early 2009. Along with several others, her presence here helped me realize the depth of online community present. And the light she brought inspired my creativity and desire to learn.

Miss you, Gangsu! Godspeed on your journey.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

This news is still making me sad days later and realizing that we should make the most of every day and every experience we have with people.

I believe I can find a few pictures of Sue from some of our gatherings where she visited Virginia (at least two come to mind with the usuals from the MD, DC, VA, NC corridor). I want to be respectful of Sue and everyone's memories of her, so I'll hold off on posting photos for now.