Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A New Chapter for Rhodes

Hey folks. Hope you"re all well. Great to be here as always and glad to see everyone is super excited about the new piano!!

To answer a couple of points-

- the keyframe and keys are precision cut from the finest woods, chosen for strength, optimum feel/weight/balance and cosmetic consistency. The keys and frame are also cut and made more precisely than any other Rhodes previously.

- the hammers are precision moulded (all Rhodes have used fully moulded hammers since 1975, earlier pianos used half wood, half plastic hammers which were problematic for many reasons I can go into if required) but our new hammers use a new high impact material with much thicker axel pivots around the action centres compared to any previous Rhodes.

Cheers

D

Thx a lot for the info,- sounds good !

I´m a big Fender Rhodes fan,- my mki sounded excellent,- much better than the mk II.

Matter of taste though ...

I´ll follow the evolution w/ high interest.

:)

A.C.

I don't believe anyone can manufacture a well built modern Rhodes Piano, as in a Suitcase Piano, for under $5000.00, Maybe much more.

A genuine Rhodes piano is an amplified mechanical Piano that is a unique playing experience that's very difficult to manufacture.

I bought an early Mark 1 Stage Piano and was not satisfied with it. It had felt tip hammers and did not have a built in Pre-Amp or speakers, It was far too mellow to use in a band, So, I sold it to a KB player that worked in a Jazz Trio.

Fast Forward to 1978 I was using a Yamaha Electric Grand Piano as my main Instrument, and decided to look into a Suitcase Rhodes piano for that sound,

What I found was that having a Rhodes that had leather hammer tips, its own amplifier, stereo speakers and direct stereo outs to plug into my PA system was a significant improvement in not only the sound, but amplification that allowed me to play naturally without having to pound on the instrument. It was and remains a pleasure to play.

The ability to HEAR the Rhodes where I was sitting and the ability to amplify the Piano through my PA so the audience could appreciate the sound at the right volume made all the difference in the world. The Tech that worked on all my equipment stopped in to hear me at a local Night Club where I was entertaining a large crowd of people at a Festival said the Rhodes was coming through the PA clean and it sounded like "Electric Bells": He said it was "The Best Rhodes Piano" he ever heard Live. However he was the tech that tuned it for me, and was not totally unbiased,

Regardless, the Piano still sounds great, but I have been Retired from doing live shows for about 10 years. I turn it on and give it a spin on occasion.

Cheers!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Dan Goldman is a member of this forum. Hopefully, eventually, he will stop by and chime in directly.

Hey folks. Hope you"re all well. Great to be here as always and glad to see everyone is super excited about the new piano!!

To answer a couple of points...

Cheers

D

Oooo... this reminds me of when the giant SS3 thread started its momentum.

Dan Goldman is a member of this forum. Hopefully, eventually, he will stop by and chime in directly.

To answer a couple of points...

Cheers

D

Oooo... this reminds me of when the giant SS3 thread started its momentum.

This could very well end up being one of those 20+ page threads, right?

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

I've only played a couple of exceptional Fender Rhodes, and that was around 45 years ago. I look forward to playing the new Rhodes, if only to relive that experience.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I look forward to playing the new Rhodes, if only to relive that experience....

Same here brotha Moon, not to relive the experience but to see how well it stacks up against my Mark II. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• 3 weeks later...

The new Rhodes "Mark 8" has yet to be officially unveiled but there have been several teaser e-mails the past few weeks. I've resisted posting every time I receive one; I figure you guys can subscribe if you want all the updates. But today's e-mail had some especially eye-catching details about the preamp and some teasers about onboard effects. Here's the pertinent text from the company:

The Rhodes MK8: A Brand New Preamp

The custom Rhodes engineered MK8 preamp gives you more control over your Rhodes sound than ever before.

The preamp now features: parametric EQ, independent drive control, envelope control, wah, new vari-pan with 4 waveshapes, audio rate modulation capabilities and dual expression pedal control inputs.

From subtle warm tones, to a growl, from round bell-like tones to ring-modulation â which sounds will you dial up on your Rhodes?

• 2 weeks later...

'Rhodes has been telling us a little more about its new MK8 electric piano, giving us plenty to to excited about while also keeping a few 'key" details (pun very much intended) close to its chest.

Those playing close attention will already have spotted that the MK8"s keyboard will come from Kluge Klaviaturen GmbH, which is part of the Steinway group. This is said to offer 'unparalleled expression and a nuanced piano-like feel'.

More recently, we"ve learned that the onboard preamp has a three-band EQ with wah on the mid band, along with vari-pan that goes into audio rate. There are dual expression pedal inputs to enable foot-based control.

So far, so good, but we can now reveal something else; namely, that the MK8"s analogue effect section will feature a VCA compressor and BBD chorus and delay effects. There"s true bypass, too.'

https://www.musicradar.com/news/rhodes-mk8-effects

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

With all that featuritis, I wonder what it will cost when ready.

I also wonder if they might come up w/ optional MIDI-Out,- transmitting note / velocity and CC #64 as also the announced 2 MIDI CC pedal/ switch controllers (ideally user assignable for outgoing MIDI)..

A.C.

I hope they don't improve all that made the Rhodes great out of it.

What was trhat ?

The best (Fender-) Rhodes on earth were ALL modified.

That includes all the manufacturer´s mods over the years.

There was always something to improve on the original (Fender-) Rhodes.

I called mine "Fender Rhodes mkx 73 Site" ...

:laugh:

A.C.

I hope they don't improve all that made the Rhodes great out of it.

What was trhat ?

The best (Fender-) Rhodes on earth were ALL modified.

That includes all the manufacturer´s mods over the years.

There was always something to improve on the original (Fender-) Rhodes./quote]Laugh emoji noted, but I get what Docbop is saying. There is a soul, a personality, to the original Rhodes models. There is a risk that in trying to make Rhodes "perfect" the new company destroys the soul.

Cheers, Mike.

noted, but I get what Docbop is saying. There is a soul, a personality, to the original Rhodes models. There is a risk that in trying to make Rhodes "perfect" the new company destroys the soul.

At least for me, the best Rhodes was the mk V, ideally w/ MIDI, which was only available in 3 prototype models.

One of these was Chick Corea´s ...

I owned a Fender Rhodes mk I 73 Stage (1971) and a later Rhodes mk II 73 Stage which still had the wooden keys and half wood, half plastic hammers.

But I always wanted the MKV w/ MIDI which never came for the average customer.

You know, the old Raymac tines didn´t last for long,- they broke quickly.

I needed a pack of six about every week and until all original tines were replaced w/ the newer "more reliable" ones by the time.

That alone changed the sound already.

Hammertips got lost, hammers broke, screw threads from legs worn out and broke.

My Rhodes´ were never home- or studio- pianos,- they were on the road always and got treated hard.

They suffered from treatment even I had a ATA flightcase.

The Rhodes´ enemy was it´s weight already,- and when a flightcase came in addition, oh well ...

The roadies hated it like CS80s, Yammi CP70/80 and Hammonds.

I´d say, the "soul" of these tools got lost somewhere in trucks and on highways.

I´m really interested in a modern Rhodes piano and if I´ll buy one or not is only matter of the price because this time, it will be a home-piano I guess.

A.C.

The Rhodes´ enemy was it´s weight already

QFT

OT to thread topic, maybe, maybe not, have to see where this new one weighs in.

About a year ago, maybe a little less, I sold my 88 Stage MK II to ProfD after owning it for 25 years. It had never been gigged, was 99.9% cosmetically perfect. About a decade ago, I took it to Vintage Vibe to have it "Pimped", as I couldn't (still can't) afford one of thier new EP's.

Fred DeLeone did a great job and I gave Chris Carroll 16 Benjamins. It is a dream Rhodes. It's just too damn heavy for me. I could barely get it into my Jeep the one last time to deliver it. ProfD is a beast, alas, I am not.

:nopity:

It is a dream Rhodes. It's just too damn heavy for me. I could barely get it into my Jeep the one last time to deliver it. ProfD is a beast, alas, I am not.

Brotha Dave, non-native English speakers and others may not know what you mean by "beast". :laugh:

Just to be clear, I'm just a man who doesn't mind the weight especially considering the feedback I get from my Rhodes everytime I sit down and play it. :D

IMO, the "soul" of an instrument comes from the musician playing it. A Rhodes is just a box of wood, plastic and metal until the *right* musician lays hands on it.

The build quality of the Rhodes and its maintenance is a completely different issue. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

"the website will be officially live with all the details on the 1st November so we"ve got another month of titbits and teases to go.

There will be a 'MK8 customiser engine' which will let you choose from a range of colours, sparkle finishes and whether it comes with the stereo effects and a stand."

There is a short demo of the pre-amp being overdriven.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CT4ry9kMK8I/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=a3d52b80-989d-4381-9666-90dd3fddaf68

I would say if you are partial to overdrive on your tine piano, it sounds good - and the keyboard "looks" quick and responsive. Not that it means anything.

"the website will be officially live with all the details on the 1st November so we"ve got another month of titbits and teases to go.

I'm not a marketing expert but I'm growing weary of the slow roll out. I get the benefits of building excitement by leaking details and teaser videos but this is becoming too slow a burn for me.

When it´ll cost about 3-5K GBP,- what I gues it will,- many will lose interest anyway.

Since Brexit, sales taxes and VAT will come on top for all the EU countries.

A.C.

Surely they"ll find a US distributor and a few dealers will pick it up. I"m not saying it will be affordable, but there is a market in the states. It depends on cost, sound and feel compared to restoring a classic or buying a Vintage Vibe electric piano.

For many people, the Vintage Vibe tone misses the mark. If the new Rhodes manages to get that elusive sound, I"d say they have a winner on their hands. In terms of price, I"d expect it to be a similar price to a good upright piano.

It"s pretty exciting eh? Hopefully their website will stand up to the traffic on Nov 1st.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

• 2 weeks later...