Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Powering your iPad during live performance

Is this working for you guys? I had the iPad going for live - working great, connected to my audio interface, triggering from the Nord, low latency, great sounds, all that. BUT - I wasn't able to figure out the seemingly simple way to keep it charged up - was having to unplug the connection and plug in the power cable (during breaks between sets - not so great). I'm using the 'camera adapter' - - tried messing around to have both the connection and power going at once but failed to figure it out. Thank you in advance for helping out this technically challenged player!

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need the later "Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter" (typically $39), not the earlier version of the adapter (typically $29) which lacked the power adapter pass through.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yes, but I will mention that I bought a non-Apple branded one (with good results) and the power plug on it stopped working. The usb still works. These are basically the CCK with an extra lightning port (some have additional ports beyond that), that goes to your power source.

I'm back to using the simpler connection kit.

I'm finding that if I start a gig at 100%, I'm still way over 60 or even 70 four hours later, using B-3X (which seems to be kind of a power hog) and Behringer's app. Someone here (maybe EscapeRocks) suggested using airplane mode, still works with wifi which I didn't know. I also turn the brightness down. Airplane mode seems to have made a big difference, and it's good as well that you don't get any notifications etc.

My ipad is a 5th gen as well, so I would think the battery life might not be the greatest.

I tried plugging it in to power between sets, but then it refused to see my MODX (midi or audio output) when I plugged it back in, so I'm not going to do that anymore. It SURE would be nice if the MODX charged it but I already feel it's performing a minor miracle making things as easy and seamless as it does! :)

I'm now waiting to see if I get a newer ipad mini if/when they come out. I like the smaller form factor and the extra oomph and battery life would be nice. It has usb c so I'd need a different adapter/cable. If I need one today I'd probably pay the premium and get the Apple one.

Hi. I had the same question some days ago and it seems that the Apple camera connection 3rd generation is the only way to go.

When I come back home,I'll buy a new one (i have the old one with just the USB connection) and I think the problem is solved. Your iPad's battery will not always be young, so you need a permanent solution other than buying the newest ipad model every time its battery goes old

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

You need the later "Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter" (typically $39), not the earlier version of the adapter (typically $29) which lacked the power adapter pass through.
Thanks for this - - but to clarify - I have an iPad pro, maybe 1-2 years old? It has the USB-C, no lightning. I think the later USB-C camera adapter is what I have. I'll connect it all up again and give it another try.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Well, it's pretty easy to do normally, the problem is using that one socket for two things (midi/audio, and power) :) No different from my son's samsung phone or my kindle etc.

Apologies also, I didn't realize we were talking usb c. I'm actually looking forward to a time where my house only has usb c....and unless there's some good reason for it, it would be nice if the square usbs on keyboards became usb c as well. I'll be needing one of whatever you get probably if I get the new ipad mini, it's supposed to be usb c as well.

Being able to connect an iPad to electric socket makes too much sense for Apple, like being able to easily replace battery. Except, it doesn't work on the financial side to ever becoming a multi-billion dollar company.

Plugging directly into 120-250v approximately 15 amp source depending on your country, directly would be ridiculous. You would have to build it big enough to hold a power supply, have a large power port and shield the hell out of it. It would also be capable of killing you instantly in case of a short. What they did is fine, it can be built exactly the same no matter where its used, is small and lightweight . Plus has the added benefit of not killing you, unless you walk into traffic while using it. Powering it is not difficult.

There are plenty of power strips out the with usb power ports. I paid about $29 for mine at amazon. A USB-C to standard USB adapter and a long enough cable to reach the power strip and the strip can power other things on stage too. That's what I use to control my mixer. It will charge an iPad albeit slowly, but keeping it powered it works perfectly.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Being able to connect an iPad to electric socket makes too much sense for Apple, like being able to easily replace battery. Except, it doesn't work on the financial side to ever becoming a multi-billion dollar company.

Plugging directly into 120-250v approximately 15 amp source depending on your country, directly would be ridiculous. You would have to build it big enough to hold a power supply, have a large power port and shield the hell out of it. It would also be capable of killing you instantly in case of a short. What they did is fine, it can be built exactly the same no matter where its used, is small and lightweight . Plus has the added benefit of not killing you, unless you walk into traffic while using it. Powering it is not difficult.

There are plenty of power strips out the with usb power ports. I paid about $29 for mine at amazon. A USB-C to standard USB adapter and a long enough cable to reach the power strip and the strip can power other things on stage too. That's what I use to control my mixer. It will charge an iPad albeit slowly, but keeping it powered it works perfectly.

OK, now I know.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

No argument there. When my wife brought home a 2016 macbook pro (present from a client, wish they'd just given her $$!) I could not believe how bad the keys and trackpad were. They seemed to be chasing "thin at all costs" and I was just left with the thought: Why, exactly? Are there that many macbook pro users out there gnashing their teeth that their power machine wasn't a millimeter thinner and an ounce lighter? Let the business noodle-armed users get the Air!

*humph* anyway.

Also annoyed at taking away the headphone port, which saves...what, exactly? I"ve got two dongles for all my nice headphones and I periodically lose and find them again since I use them all with non-apple products.

I get the feeling they have some art and interface designers who are all into the philosophy and look of the thing, and completely don't even consider how real people will use their products. I think back to my dad, a meat and potatoes guy, who took the family to some five star restaurant for some reason I can't remember. He ordered a steak, and then *gasp* asked for salt. Holy shit the waiter acted like that snooty guy in Ferris Bueller..."Sir, that would insult the chef" and he actually refused to bring the salt...Apple is the five star restaurant of electronics!

The philosophy that an Apple product should be a useful tool for artists (including musicians) died with Steve Jobs, sadly. Tim Cook couldn't care less...all he cares about is $$$.

At this point, I'm just praying that the iPad Mini 5 upgrade supposedly coming out in Q4 still has a headphone jack. My Mini 2 is really long in the tooth.

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

Hmm, I hadn't even thought of that. I use mine all the time with my ipad to watch vids, and if I didn't have an audio interface with my MODX I'd probably be using the headphone outs for audio at gigs. If they do away with the headphone out I'll probably not buy it, simple as that. I have airpods (gift) and they are nice, but half the time I can't find them or they aren't charged. I have some very nice headphones and earbuds and like to use them without a dongle (which I also misplace constantly).

The philosophy that an Apple product should be a useful tool for artists (including musicians) died with Steve Jobs, sadly.

No, Apple turn for the worse was when Jobs push Wozniak into the background then out. Jobs even back to the Apple II wanted closed systems, Jobs wanted to control what you could and couldn't do with "his" computer.

This thread is perfect example why a "Pro" device needs more than one port. Apple is too in to fashion and style and not functionality especially at things they hang a Pro label on.

Agreed! would it have been too much to at least put a second port one on the side?

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

â¦Also annoyed at taking away the headphone port, which saves...what, exactly? â¦

I don"t think there"s a way to fit the 1/8 jack on any device with an edge-to-edge screen where"s there"s no border, which was consumer driven. The majority of buyers wanted the largest possible viewing screen with smallest overall size in phones, which carried over to the iPad Pro. The standard iPad still has borders and headphone out I think.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

â¦Also annoyed at taking away the headphone port, which saves...what, exactly? â¦

I don"t think there"s a way to fit the 1/8 jack on any device with an edge-to-edge screen where"s there"s no border, which was consumer driven. The majority of buyers wanted the largest possible viewing screen with smallest overall size in phones, which carried over to the iPad Pro. The standard iPad still has borders and headphone out I think.

Then just make go back to making the thing thicker like before. Thinner is better is great for fashion model, but not for Pro devices. Look at the new M1 iMac and screwing with ports to make it thinner, braindead decision. Big selling point of iMac was how many ports it had made it a very versatile Mac for all types of work.

Anymore, I don"t think we"re the majority Apple consumer we once were. Apple was once a more specialty product which appealed predominantly to the creative community. Now they"re on the big stage and mass appeal consumer driven. At least, that"s my take on their evolution.

I owned a photography/digital imaging/custom framing business for 32 years (now retired) and used Apple computers along with Epson large format scanners and printers daily and you could easily say they catered to my needs. If I was still in the digital imaging business, I would likely still be using Apple and I suppose I would have to live with the fact that I am no longer their main end user.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Anymore, I don"t think we"re the majority Apple consumer we once were. Apple was once a more specialty product which appealed predominantly to the creative community. Now they"re on the big stage and mass appeal consumer driven. At least, that"s my take on their evolution.

I owned a photography/digital imaging/custom framing business for 32 years (now retired) and used Apple computers along with Epson large format scanners and printers daily and you could easily say they catered to my needs. If I was still in the digital imaging business, I would likely still be using Apple and I suppose I would have to live with the fact that I am no longer their main end user.

There"s a short list of mobile devices - tablets/phones as opposed to laptops/desktops - that have software and hardware support from developers for music making. Apple iPad continues to be dominant in this niche market. Being in control of both the hardware and the OS has a lot to do with that. It"s become less relevant on the desktop operating systems with regard to photo/digital imaging, video and audio where developers have been supporting both major desktop OSes for quite some time now.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Anyone still making an iPad audio interface that offers charging through connection?

I saw the iconnectivity one which does have a powered USB-C port.

But can an iPad or iPhone charge off it, or is there an issue with Apple"s mifi nonsense?

https://www.iconnectivity.com/audio4c

The iConnectivity Audio 4C charges, like its predecessor the Audio 4+ did with Lightning.

Here for the gear.

There"s a short list of mobile devices - tablets/phones as opposed to laptops/desktops - that have software and hardware support from developers for music making. Apple iPad continues to be dominant in this niche market. Being in control of both the hardware and the OS has a lot to do with that.

iOS also benefited from being derived from OS X, which already had an existing infrastructure for supporting MIDI and low latency audio, just waiting to be taken advantage of. Android didn't have that, and their subsequent attempts to improve on this front were hindered both by the fact that they were shoehorning capabilities into a platform that hadn't been built to support them from the start, as well as, as you said, having to deal with a wide variety of different hardware (which doesn't mean it can't work, but does mean that the consumer has less assurance that what works well on one device will work as well on another... as you can see by the fact that VB3m works on any iOS device that meets spec, and works on Android devices kind of on a "try it and see what happens" basis).

Looking at your statement more broadly, though, there are also the Windows-based tablets which can be as capable as laptops.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

There"s a short list of mobile devices - tablets/phones as opposed to laptops/desktops - that have software and hardware support from developers for music making. Apple iPad continues to be dominant in this niche market. Being in control of both the hardware and the OS has a lot to do with that.

iOS also benefited from being derived from OS X, which already had an existing infrastructure for supporting MIDI and low latency audio, just waiting to be taken advantage of. Android didn't have that, and their subsequent attempts to improve on this front were hindered both by the fact that they were shoehorning capabilities into a platform that hadn't been built to support them from the start, as well as, as you said, having to deal with a wide variety of different hardware (which doesn't mean it can't work, but does mean that the consumer has less assurance that what works well on one device will work as well on another... as you can see by the fact that VB3m works on any iOS device that meets spec, and works on Android devices kind of on a "try it and see what happens" basis).

Looking at your statement more broadly, though, there are also the Windows-based tablets which can be as capable as laptops.

Agreed on all points. If one were looking not too use an iOS device for music - live, real-time instruments in particular, I"d be inclined to recommend a Windows machine, like the Surface as a great example, over any Android device.

Although (just an unscientific observation) some of these Windows tablets appear to offer impressive performance, they are a bit bulkier, require larger battery, and run hotter than an iPad.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I use this https://www.korg.com/caen/products/computergear/plugkey/ with my IPad mini 4

Cheers,

Canoe

It seems like the most affordable and cheap solution for my ipad mini 2 and it looks like it has a good integration with my Korg apps (Module, Ipolysix, Ims20)

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I use this https://www.korg.com/caen/products/computergear/plugkey/ with my IPad mini 4

Cheers,

Canoe

It seems like the most affordable and cheap solution for my ipad mini 2 and it looks like it has a good integration with my Korg apps (Module, Ipolysix, Ims20)

That"s still what I use, but have been looking for an adapter that would convert the lightning jack to a USBC when I eventually upgrade to a new iPad Pro. There have been supply issues that seem to indicate the PlugKey has been discontinued but I"ve just seen them available at a few online retailers. They"re white, perhaps a new series? Anyway, good news, at least for now!

Here for the gear.

For what it's worth, I use an old Alesis IO Dock II to integrate my ipad into things, charges my ipad air 2 while using it, 'proper' interface (1/4 inch jacks, midi in/ out etc), footswitch option etc. Cheap as chips (if you can find one), not seen anything better than it around, so have three of them as back ups :-)