Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ipad Mainstage alternative-MKSensation Extreme

I'm surprised no one has posted about this Ipad app, MKSensation Extreme. I picked up a few weeks ago and loaded on my Ipad Air 2. I'm underpowered but am having more fun with this than should be allowed for so little money.

$25 gets you 12 GB of ROM, many different instruments and waveforms.You get 8 layers of synth goodness, can easily set up splits and layers with an easy visual interface. The following is copied from the Apple story.

If you wanted to do a gig with just an Ipad and keyboard, this would surely get you there in a pinch. Also worth mentioning that it finds all your synth apps on your Ipad and they can be used within a program as one of the eight voices. Good stuff.

Next is the absolute incredible amount of stacking and control you have. With the advent of more powerful iPads and now the new M1, MKSensation Xtreme is equivalent to 8 Pure Synth Platinums. Meaning, you have the ability to have separate control over AMP, Filter, Control, LFO, and effects per sound slot. In addition to 8-insert effects slots with up to 5-effects per slot, you get a Global and a Master effects slot and each effects bus can be controlled from the Red faders. And of course with all of our apps, everything can be controlled via MIDI learn and

Secondly, with the emphasis on live performance, we have added the ability to not only use each sound button for our own sounds, but you can host your own AUv3 sounds and effects. Yes, you already love the sounds of our MKSensation X, but now combine all of those capabilities with hosting your own modules inside of the app itself. In fact, even if you never used our sounds, the hosting abilities alone are a game changer. And yes, you can run your AUv3 instruments through our filters, AMP, LFO, and Mod section as well.

iPad Version vs Desktop

The iPad version is identical to the desktop version as far as features, synthesis, and functionality. The only difference is in sound: We removed the second version of the MKS sounds, so that there is only one main version of the MKS soundest, instead of two different versions on the desktop. The quality is the same.

General Specs

⢠12 GB Lossless Compression)

⢠23,419 Samples

⢠362 Sampled Sounds

⢠21 Analog Modeled Wavetables

⢠14 Analog VA Waveforms

⢠74 Presets

⢠26 High Quality Effects Featuring Overloud"s VKFX

Highlights

⢠Store and stream sounds internally or on external hard rive

⢠Ability to Load AUv3 in place of Sound Slots

⢠8-Fully independent Sound Sources with their own independent (AMP, Filter, LFO, Mod, and effects)

⢠Seamless Sound Switching

⢠Two versions of Power Grand

⢠Live-Set Mode with MIDI CC Program Change

⢠Dedicated Mute and Solo on the buttons

⢠Dedicated Split Screen

⢠Quick Control functions for easy access of important parameters

⢠All knobs, sliders, and buttons are MIDI Learnable

⢠Two different MIDI CC Program Change modes for quickly switching to presets via your controller

⢠Low CPU 8-Layers = 20%

⢠2-Second max load times per set.

⢠Ability to Receive on Separate MIDI channels per sound for multi-timbral stacks and layers

⢠Global Mictotune, Transpose, Octave, and Velocity Curve.

⢠Dedicated large volume sliders on front of interface.

⢠Ability to Copy/Paste Single or All parameters across sound-sources

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

It sounds interesting but on the video, many of the third parts apps seem not to load properly. Someone should inform potential buyers which of the most common apps work flawlessly and which won't (Galileio, IMS20, Ipolysix, Animoog, Module Pro, IN1 etc)...

I'm sure many users will buy this one not only for the internal banks but for its functionality to load other apps and have things packed up together.

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

It sounds interesting but on the video, many of the third parts apps seem not to load properly. Someone should inform potential buyers which of the most common apps work flawlessly and which won't (Galileio, IMS20, Ipolysix, Animoog, Module Pro, IN1 etc)...

I'm sure many users will buy this one not only for the internal banks but for its functionality to load other apps and have things packed up together.

The developer of the third Party app has to offer it as an AUV3.

Make sure to check it"s description in the App Store.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I have spent hundreds on GM's stuff... and I've never ended up using any of it. Still I wonder if I'll be able to resist this. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have Neo Soul Keys Studio 2 and Pure Synth Platinum for iOS â both great sounding apps. GM is using the same style interface throughout their range so once you know the lay of the land, getting around is easy. I doubt I"d get into any of the MK sounds but the ability to load & stack AU3s is intriguing.

Here for the gear.

I doubt I"d get into any of the MK sounds but the ability to load & stack AU3s is intriguing.

If that's what you're looking for, there's also AUM, Camelot Pro, Keystage

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have Neo Soul Keys Studio 2 and Pure Synth Platinum for iOS â both great sounding apps. GM is using the same style interface throughout their range so once you know the lay of the land, getting around is easy. I doubt I"d get into any of the MK sounds but the ability to load & stack AU3s is intriguing.

Two of the best apps out there, imo!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I doubt I"d get into any of the MK sounds but the ability to load & stack AU3s is intriguing.

If that's what you're looking for, there's also AUM, Camelot Pro, Keystage

Yes, AUM is my go-to, but still interested in GM"s interface approach.

Here for the gear.

• 2 years later...

It's on Black Friday sale, if anyone's been on the fence about this one. $12.99

I'm wondering how its AU hosting is. While I'm sure it's not as complete/versatile in that respect as dedicated apps (AUM, Camelot Pro, Keystage), those are all somewhat complicated, and in many cases may be overkill.

I've been enjoying this app.  Def worth the spend.  If you want the MKS Piano sound, this is a good way to scratch that itch.  I've gotten some beefy synth brass stacks out of it as well.  I wouldn't use it as a dedicated piano module, but I have blended with other piano sounds and it is great for that.  I have no need to use it as an AU host, but it plays nicely with Camelot and the interface is well laid out and it maps easily to external controllers.