Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Google Drive App

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don"t use it for backup, but for collaborating with other musos.

Unfortunately my connection in real slow, so all the huge files I don"t want to sync live in the 'Huge files" folder that is excluded from sync.

The new app does not have the exclude option, but AFAIK you can choose the file system integrated virtual 'drive" option where no background syncing happens, the files are streamed to you on demand.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Yeah, I use it to sync many files across different computers and a phone. A huge bummer! There is a comparison picture somewhere between an old and a new app, and it seems like new functionality sucks for me.

Have to look for alternatives now.

if you can't tell the difference, does it matter?

I use Dropbox, better sync functions, never had an issue.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I use Dropbox, better sync functions, never had an issue.

I've used Dropbox in the past and liked it. I tried to do a quick look around for secure cloud storage and Sync.com kept showing up. For users they start at Free then up to $20 per month for 6 TBs. Anyone here use Sync.com or know anything about them?

Yeah, I use it to sync many files across different computers and a phone. A huge bummer! There is a comparison picture somewhere between an old and a new app, and it seems like new functionality sucks for me.

Have to look for alternatives now.

me too, but I'll try sending a feedback using "one.google.com" - Product Feedback... hopefully they'll review it including the functionality...

If not Ill seek for alternatives, will have a look on the mentioned here.

tks guys.

I am using Google Drive on my phone so I can quickly upload things. I don't have it automated (and I'm not sure if this is possible).

Are you referring to Google Drive for desktops and laptops? Are they changing the previous sync method, where everything that was put in a particular folder was automatically synced?

I am using Google Drive on my phone so I can quickly upload things. I don't have it automated (and I'm not sure if this is possible).

Are you referring to Google Drive for desktops and laptops? Are they changing the previous sync method, where everything that was put in a particular folder was automatically synced?

they are changing the possibility for you to choose if the folders will appear in your "drive" folder or not, those files that you never use but want to keep just stored will now appear in the folders in the new Drive for Desktop version...

I'm pretty sure Google's credo is "if it ain't broke,....break it".

Because of work and clients, I have to use paid versions of Dropbox, Google drive, Box, Apple's cloud drive and occasionally Microsoft one. Dropbox is probably the most feature laden and easy to share, but easily gets broken with minor os and app updates. I'm starting to like Box more for both cheaper price and just getting the job done with minimal fuss. Google drive has been good to sync across all devices old and new., but dreading what this new update will do.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Because of work and clients, I have to use paid versions of Dropbox, Google drive, Box, Apple's cloud drive and occasionally Microsoft one. Dropbox is probably the most feature laden and easy to share, but easily gets broken with minor os and app updates. I'm starting to like Box more for both cheaper price and just getting the job done with minimal fuss. Google drive has been good to sync across all devices old and new., but dreading what this new update will do.

LOL like Apple's if people like the software it must be changed.

., but dreading what this new update will do.

I'm still very negatively impacted by those changes... will give a few weeks to check if any update resolves it, if not I'll try OneDrive, as I use in my corporate PC and seems to be the closer to the functionalities as "old" Google Drive had with the option to sync...

Curious - what kind of issues did you see in Dropbox? I've used it for the last 10 years in different versions of windows, mac, and in my iOS devices, never had an issue.

OneDrive has gotten better, and it's the default in my work, but have been burned with sync issues in the past. I wouldn't use it for my personal stuff.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

RE Dropbox: This could partly be because of the apps themselves. I've mainly had weird issues with: Forscore, Music Stand (a church planning/sheet music viewer). Show one (mp3 loop click player,) and OSX/IOS updates.

I'll accept blame for using the feature that lets you show aliases of the files instead of the actual file on some of my memory limited devices- that's been a constant source of frustration with files not syncing or taking hours (days!) to update. My recent OSX update on my studio machine has completely broken Dropbox sync, and having to start all over again.

Funny you mention work- In Ministry world, where the business/admin side is similar to Corporate world- many churches will only use OneDrive because of their integration/allegiance to the Microsoft sphere. I use it only when absolutely necessary..

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

RE Dropbox: This could partly be because of the apps themselves. I've mainly had weird issues with: Forscore, Music Stand (a church planning/sheet music viewer). Show one (mp3 loop click player,) and OSX/IOS updates.

Thanks. I should have been more specific that my experience with Dropbox is mostly outside the music world.

Funny you mention work- In Ministry world, where the business/admin side is similar to Corporate world- many churches will only use OneDrive because of their integration/allegiance to the Microsoft sphere. I use it only when absolutely necessary..

I see the value in the staying in the Microsoft sphere, and I do so at work. Stand alone the apps may have better alternatives, but I like the integration you get from basis office pkg / Sharepoint / Power BI / OneNote / Project Online and so forth to improve business processes, and I end up being a benchmark at work in a lot of it. But OneDrive is a concern for me, although I think the earlier issues that I saw were corrected - its functionality in the most part meets our business needs, and it's often the easier solution, for example, to avoid sending email attachments at work (my pet peeve). The version control functionality seems better in OneDrive than Dropbox, but this is much more critical at work than my personal stuff.

With laptops coming with small SSDs the need to have flexible accessibility to a lot of data is critical through these kind of solutions, but reliability is foremost.

MBP-LOGIC

• 1 month later...