Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leslie Studio 12 with Behringer subwoofer?

Rereading past threads and reviews elsewhere regarding the Leslie Studio 12, seems like many like the sound but some question whether there is sufficient bass if one is playing LH bass in a jazz organ context.

My current chain is Mojo - small Yamaha mixer - Space Station - Behringer subwoofer B1200-D.

Apparently, the Studio 12 does NOT have a subwoofer out option. But is there any reason I couldn't do the following?

Mojo - mixer- Behringer subwoofer - Studio 12.

Seems like this would be viable option, but perhaps I'm overlooking something. I've never heard the Studio 12 first-hand, fwiw.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You might consider the Leslie 2101. I have a 1st gen one and the bass simulator is good. Pass through is built in and it can crank out when needed.

I don"t have any Studio 12 experience.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

But is there any reason I couldn't do the following?

Wouldn't this provide a "dry" signal (no Leslie effect) to the sub? Depending on the cutoff frequency of the sub, I suppose all you woud hear "dry" would be the low bass notes, so this may be acceptable. But it would definitely sound different than what you'd be getting out of a Leslie 3300, 147, 122, etc. Might be to your liking, but it will definitely be different, that's all.

Lou

Guess you're right, Lou, I just don't know if the difference would be noticeable to my ears.

I'm assuming that the Studio 12, with a "dry" bass through the Behringer, would be superior (i.e, more authentic sounding and closer to a 147/122) to my Space Station/Behringer set-up now. Just an assumption, obviously.

You might consider the Leslie 2101. I have a 1st gen one and the bass simulator is good. Pass through is built in and it can crank out when needed.

I don"t have any Studio 12 experience.

Jake

Yeah, I've gone back and forth about the 2101. It is under consideration.

Rereading past threads and reviews elsewhere regarding the Leslie Studio 12, seems like many like the sound but some question whether there is sufficient bass if one is playing LH bass in a jazz organ context.

My current chain is Mojo - small Yamaha mixer - Space Station - Behringer subwoofer B1200-D.

Apparently, the Studio 12 does NOT have a subwoofer out option. But is there any reason I couldn't do the following?

Seems like this would be viable option, but perhaps I'm overlooking something. I've never heard the Studio 12 first-hand, fwiw.

Just curious why you haven't put the Subwoofer before the Spacestation? The advantage is that only the upper frequencies reach the SS for cleaner and more focussed sound. And you should absolutely be able to do that with the Leslie, although a 12" bass speaker should give you all the bottom end you need.

Here for the gear.

Just curious why you haven't put the Subwoofer before the Spacestation? The advantage is that only the upper frequencies reach the SS for cleaner and more focussed sound. And you should absolutely be able to do that with the Leslie, although a 12" bass speaker should give you all the bottom end you need.

Years ago, when I was researching the SS, I came across some advice Aspen posted somewhere, perhaps on his website (or perhaps even here). My takeaway was that it was simpler, if not better, to put SS after the subwoofer. Since then, I never tried it the other way, but perhaps I should.

Anyway, this was the Q and A I copied:

"I just picked up a Behringer B1200D-Pro subwoofer for use with the Spacestation v3. I"m guessing the best setup with the subwoofer is to run into the sub and out from the sub to the Spacestation. Would you foresee any issues with using a balanced XLR to 1/4' cable for the sub outs to Spacestation inputs?

⢠Yes, it would be the obvious path to run KB-B1200-SS3, and make use of the hi pass filter...and there should be no problem for the 1/4-XLR cables...short ones like 3' are perfect and the TRS works as well as a TS on the 1/4" side.

However, in my studio and on a few gigs I have used the B1200 run out of the SS3 sub output with just one cable â KB -> (mixer-optional)>SS3 -> B1200. For extremely loud gigs, the opposite way may prove the better way but for medium SPL gigs I do not think the SS3 suffers from getting a full range signal. Also I think too much sub can be a bad thing⦠so be careful to keep it (the hi pass filter) under 125Hz tops, even better may be 80-100Hz and also not too much level (just enough to feel it). When I run the sub after the SS3 it"s easy to plug and unplug the sub and judge the difference. Basically, it"s just the under 100Hz LF that needs support. But if you have a bass player in the band you may find yourself leaving the sub home for those smaller gigs. Although, I prefer bringing the sub and just keeping it 'low', it just sounds better to me. This also allows me to elevate the SS3 which can be a good thing, but be careful not to listen to it 'on axis' or you will probably be mixing the Width too high⦠listen to it off axis is possible. Some users are even putting it on an amp stand sideways so the side speaker bounces off the floor. This gives some nice bloom in close quarters."

Without a sub-out from the Leslie 12 I don't think you can achieve what you're ultimately trying to achieve. My Motion Sound Low Pro solved this with its adjustable deep bass setting knob, so there is enough bass for LH bass playing. How about a Motion Sound Pro 3T (real horn) and coming out of its low drum simulator into your space station/behringer. Its like the 2101 option mentioned earlier in this thread by LIGHTBG but the 2101 retails for around $1500 whereas the Pro3T is one-third the cost, so you could get a real horn and a drum simulation through the bass bin inexpensively.

https://reverb.com/item/421328-used-motion-sound-pro-3t

Here's a Low Pro to go with it: https://picclick.com/Motion-Sound-Low-Pro-LP-120-Leslie-Rotating-Speaker-292655143024.html

so both for less than half the cost of a Leslie Studio 12. The Studio 12 is 100 watts, the pro3t/low pro is 175 watts and the low pro has the deep bass setting adjustment dial. Also for quick gigs, just bring the Pro 3T and use its leslie drum sim into a bass bin. Had mine for 20 years, still runs strong, I run my L100P through it. drowns out any guitar player. Also, because they are two individual pieces (connected via a midi cable), neither piece is back breaking. one is 27 pounds and the other is 55 pounds, compared to a leslie 12 which is 85 pounds. Also, being two pieces they are easier to transport in a car when space is an issue.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• 3 weeks later...

I judt have an XK3c Hammond going into normal stereo keyboard amp(Roland SA1000) the onboard Leslie effect of the Hammond is useless apparantly ,but I've never tried a good one, this is the first one I've ever hand, Can you tell me please is it possible to get a rotating speaker for under $1000 & do I need the rotating (Leslie type) speaker to work in conjunction with amplifier, or do you use the rotater on it's own/ are they single unit amp/rotation speaker all in one?

Sinceren thanks for any info!

Can you tell me please is it possible to get a rotating speaker for under $1000...

Did you read the post that is two above yours? For under $1000 you could have this:

link

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I judt have an XK3c Hammond going into normal stereo keyboard amp(Roland SA1000) the onboard Leslie effect of the Hammond is useless apparantly ,but I've never tried a good one, this is the first one I've ever hand, Can you tell me please is it possible to get a rotating speaker for under $1000 & do I need the rotating (Leslie type) speaker to work in conjunction with amplifier, or do you use the rotater on it's own/ are they single unit amp/rotation speaker all in one?

Sinceren thanks for any info!

"Useless" seems too harsh an assessment of the Hammond internal Leslie sim. But I understand if it isn't satisfying to you.

I can't think of a rotating speaker that can be bought new for under $1000 USD. There are several rotating speakers built by Leslie and Motion Sound which can sometimes be found used for under $1000. Usually rotating speakers include an amplifier, so are "all in one" if I understand your question correctly.

Here is a good webpage to gauge the desirability of various used Leslies you may come across: http://www.captain-foldback.com/Leslie_sub/leslie_model_guide.htm

RE the OP original signal flow idea. Mojo- BeriSub- Studio 12. (Cedar?) didn't mention mention what kind of venues it would be used for.

Lou correctly mentioned you'd get a dry bass sound, and rotor sound from the Studio 12. This is basically what we used to call the "Memphis" sound: stopped rotor and moving horn. Someone correct my memory, I think the the leslie crosses over at 800, so if the Behringer will let you do that, then you'd be sending the Studio 12 only the top stuff. If not, you could always use a crossover (instead of the mixer) to feed the two units. I used to have a Rolls Tiny Crossover that just did lo & hi. https://www.parts-express.com/Rolls-SX21-Tiny-Two-Way-Crossover-w-Level-Controls-245-1182?gclid=Cj0KCQjwg7KJBhDyARIsAHrAXaG0ryZ-RZI_wYQ-3jNYSIbpPMLTGWPQtPpPjivwc4pBqpyPPGFFG5YaAsbHEALw_wcB.

Thing is, if you're going to not use the Studio 12 low end, why carry it? ...might as well get the 2101 or some sort of Motion Sound rig as others suggested..

Whether that works for you boils down to personal preference and what you consider a "proper" jazz sound. I rarely kick bass, but when I do (mostly at home for practice) I prefer the (dry) stopped leslie sound w some chorus..

My organ work is 98% full band with horns, a piano player and a bass player. I started looking at the Studio 12 because the 12 " woofer is preferable because I'm trying to avoid getting in the way of bass player and pianist, and sound folks love not putting out all that rumble.

Dave posted before about the Motion Sound stuff. I have a PRO3t in mothballs, and have been meaning to drag it out since his last post. I like his observation about having two separate units, where you have the option of not always having to use the Low cab. Face it, some gigs you just need to get in and out with least amount of gear.

While I'm over - commenting: RE the XK3c: I'm provided an XK3c weekly at one of the churches I work at, they've got it with a Leslie 330 and it's great. Some weeks they do a different stage setup (it's a weekly TV broadcast) and I can't use the leslie. I found the internal sim not horrible, but not inspiring either. So on those occasions I bring a Neo Mini-Vent and have been very happy with the sound- AV folks are happy too.

With Organ, I love moving air, as long as I'm not the one moving the device that moves the air :)

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.