Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to transfer a file from and IPad to a D-20?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you need a piece of software that's designed to be used as a librarian for the D-20.

A quick Google led me to, for example, Patch Base.

The D 20 manual says you can only transfer patch data using floppy, Roland's proprietary memory card, or MIDI transfer from another D 20. I presume librarian software like the example I found mimic the MIDI transfer referenced in the manual.

Disclaimer: I don't own a D 20, have never owned a D 20, and have never used Patch Base software. It's just an example of a third party program that someone seems to have created to support the D 20.

Hope this helps some.

I was downloading the original patch file from Roland"s website.

Trying to find a Memory card or Disk Drive with original Factory sounds on it is next too impossible.

The D-20 has a fault that, if you do a full factory reset. It goes into split mode, and can"t be taken out, unless the sounds are restored. Same thing happens when changing the battery.

I need help? As I can not seem to transfer a file of D-20 patches from my ipad too my D-20.

As a side Note. I can not download the KeyStep firmware from Arturia"s website to my iPad as the file is not supported, for mobile devices.

I have an iPad and can download the firmware.

Downloading the file format is OS independent.

Did you mean download MIDI Control Center and install it on your iPad?

I need help? As I can not seem to transfer a file of D-20 patches from my ipad too my D-20.

As a side Note. I can not download the KeyStep firmware from Arturia"s website to my iPad as the file is not supported, for mobile devices.

I have an iPad and can download the firmware.

Downloading the file format is OS independent.

Did you mean download MIDI Control Center and install it on your iPad?

The file is on my iPad already. I just can"t transfer it to the D-20. I have to open the file in a program like some sort of media player, which I don"t have, in order to transfer it to the D-20. I have a special USB MIDI interface from iConectivity.

How old is your IPad? Because I have an iPad Pro, and could not download the firmware. I was also, told by Arturia that the Firmware download was not supported for the iPad Pro.

To clarify I am speaking of the Artura Keystep not the D-20. It may be possible for me to download the firmware because I am using the 1st generation iPad Pro 10" but it is able to run the latest iOS while I am running iOS 14.6 which is not significantly behind the latest update. So the hardware should not matter. I am going to go ahead and do the update just to see if I can still download the software.

To clarify I am speaking of the Artura Keystep not the D-20. It may be possible for me to download the firmware because I am using the 1st generation iPad Pro 10" but it is able to run the latest iOS while I am running iOS 14.6 which is not significantly behind the latest update. So the hardware should not matter. I am going to go ahead and do the update just to see if I can still download the software.

The file is on my ipad, I just can"t open it?

Can you take the D-20 to a local music store with a service department and get some hands-on help?

The closets store is an hour away.

You've spent at least an hour pissing around with us already.

Here for the gear.

Unfortunately, the likelihood of the nearest store being able to troubleshoot the issues between an iPad (which they probably don't sell) and a keyboard that they've probably never seen (and if they have, it was 30 years ago) is slim to none. So "pissing around" for an hour with us is probably far more productive. I'm guessing that the file for D20 is a sysex file (with a .syx extension), and not a MIDI file. If so, it's not surprising that the iPad can't open it. If it is indeed a .syx file, try this: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sysex-base/id1004689966

The same would apply to the Arturia file

You"re 45 minutes from Chuck Levin"s, one of the largest and most knowledgeable music stores on the east coast. Call them.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

To clarify I am speaking of the Artura Keystepâ¦.

I can not download the KeyStep firmware from Arturia"s website to my iPad as the file is not supported, for mobile devices.

Hmm OK :love:

Do you have a computer? Sounds like probably no but have to ask.

You are going to need to buy something. You don"t have the proper puzzle pieces to do it otherwise.

If all you have is an iPad it would mean you are unable to run the Keystep MIDI Control Center software which is required to install the firmware.

Firmware installation instructions

Unfortunately, the likelihood of the nearest store being able to troubleshoot the issues between an iPad (which they probably don't sell) and a keyboard that they've probably never seen (and if they have, it was 30 years ago) is slim to none. So "pissing around" for an hour with us is probably far more productive. I'm guessing that the file for D20 is a sysex file (with a .syx extension), and not a MIDI file. If so, it's not surprising that the iPad can't open it. If it is indeed a .syx file, try this: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sysex-base/id1004689966

The same would apply to the Arturia file

Thank You Jonathon!

To clarify I am speaking of the Artura Keystepâ¦.

I can not download the KeyStep firmware from Arturia"s website to my iPad as the file is not supported, for mobile devices.

Hmm OK :love:

Do you have a computer? Sounds like probably no but have to ask.

You are going to need to buy something. You don"t have the proper puzzle pieces to do it otherwise.

If all you have is an iPad it would mean you are unable to run the Keystep MIDI Control Center software which is required to install the firmware.

Firmware installation instructions

Thank you!

Silly question: could D50 librarian work? It does with D05, maybe it could with D20, assuming configuration format compatibility and that the OP has access to a Windows PC.

Given it is free, I think it is worth a try. I would start by checking if it recognizes D20 and can save the current settings before trying uploading new ones.

You"re 45 minutes from Chuck Levin"s, one of the largest and most knowledgeable music stores on the east coast. Call them.

I don"t know how much help they would be with a 30 year old synth. You can"t get parts for?

Have you called them?

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A