Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I think Korg has hit a sweet spot.

There have been a crapload of cheap synths released in the last few years. Some of them are great, yet most all of them leave me thinking "if it only had." But now Korg has released a line with features that are just good enough, and sound that is great. I love my new Wavestate. It is truly a step above the Wavestation SR that is still in my rack. I can actually program it, and it has enough sequencing power to earn a place in my DAWless Jam setup. And speaking of DAWless jam, the most popular keyboard in that arena seems to be the Minilogue XD. I want one, but I don't know if that will be my next purchase. The upcoming Modwave looks very interesting. I really wish Roland would release the Botuque line at this level with more polyphony, decent feeling keys, and better memory management and sequencing.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been a crapload of cheap synths released in the last few years. Some of them are great, yet most all of them leave me thinking "if it only had." But now Korg has released a line with features that are just good enough, and sound that is great. I love my new Wavestate. It is truly a step above the Wavestation SR that is still in my rack. I can actually program it, and it has enough sequencing power to earn a place in my DAWless Jam setup. And speaking of DAWless jam, the most popular keyboard in that arena seems to be the Minilogue XD. I want one, but I don't know if that will be my next purchase. The upcoming Modwave looks very interesting. I really wish Roland would release the Botuque line at this level with more polyphony, decent feeling keys, and better memory management and sequencing.

When you say you can program it, do you mean by the front panel or some kind of computer editor?

I'm excited about it, but I'm holding out for the module version similar to what was done on the XD, but will think about picking up next year. Somebody posted a 'conversion' (well done hack job) to a module, but I don't have this level of ability....

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I've had a minilogue XD since christmas and it's a badass synth for the money. Huge sound and great range. Really my only knock on it is that it seems like I run into the 4 note polyphony limit a lot. If you can swing the Prologue 8 for a few hundred bucks more, go for that. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

Seems like every time I start playing with the minilogue knobs, I end up with a new sound that I can't get enough of. I am pretty evenly split between big mono leads and poly synth tones.

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

And speaking of DAWless jam, the most popular keyboard in that arena seems to be the Minilogue XD. I want one, but I don't know if that will be my next purchase. The upcoming Modwave looks very interesting. I really wish Roland would release the Botuque line at this level with more polyphony, decent feeling keys, and better memory management and sequencing.

I think Korg is missing the boat. Their refusal to have aftertouch on so many of their keyboards is ridiculous. The Numa Compact 2 has AT and it costs only $499.

And the Minilogue XD? Don"t get me started. Korg screwed up the envelopes compared to the regular Minilogue. They had plenty of room on the front panel for the envelopes found on the regular Minilogue.

Somebody posted a 'conversion' (well done hack job) to a module, but I don't have this level of ability....

It"s easy. A hand held Jig or a SawzAll with BiMetal blade.

One ribbon cable to connect to the worthless keybed and voilaâ¦

MP5 Assault Weapon case is a perfect fit and great gig bag too..

25259-E0-D-ECA8-4-ADB-A14-C-79-FA5-A8-A8737.jpg

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

It"s easy. A hand held Jig or a SawzAll with BiMetal blade.

One ribbon cable to connect to the worthless keybed and voilaâ¦

MP5 Assault Weapon case is a perfect fit and great gig bag too..

Very nice work! Let's see if I'll sum up the courage ... :cool:

I'll hold out until I move to a house next year and have some space to try out something like this.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Their refusal to have aftertouch on so many of their keyboards is ridiculous. The Numa Compact 2 has AT and it costs only $499.

I agree that Korg's near abandonment of aftertouch is irritating... going back to when the M50 didn't have the AT that its TR predecessor did (or the assignable outs, nor the optional sample memory). Though in fairness, the Numa Compact 2 is a pretty basic keyboard otherwise, and since Numa is owned by Fatar who is specifically in the keys-making business, it's not surprising that they can provide a more fully featured action at a lower price than others.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)