Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need an IPad interface

As I'm going more and more towards the soft synth way, I decided to bring my old Mini 2 ipad to rehearsals and gigs. I use Gallileo organs, Korg Module (with some expansions) . Korg Polysix and MsS20, Animoog and Neosoul keys, M1, Korg iGrand Piano and ielectric Piano, and they all sound fantastic. So I am looking for a good sound interface to complete the combo.

I basically need something light to connect to a keyboard controller (preferably USB) but I absolutely want it to charge my iPad during the performance: my ipad's battery is running low quickly so I need the interface to take care of the charge duties, so the iPad won't let me down during the gig...

Any ideas?

Thanx on advance

Y.

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. To connect a USB audio interface or USB keyboard to an older lighting iPad, you need the Apple Camera Connection Kit (CCK); it will also charge your iPad.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

2. To connect both an audio interface and USB MIDI keyboard (meaning at the same time), you will also need a powered USB Hub.

3. If your keyboard has MIDI DIN ports, you could use the Korg PlugKey for audio/MIDI.

I am getting good results with an iconnectaudio 4plus interface which handles audio and midi over USB.(along with midi DIN and "to host") It is a tremendous undertaking and can be more than just a bit complex but for me gets the job done for a fairly complex rig that marries hardware with tons of software on ipad and Macmini. Disclaimer: This unit is picky about powered USB hubs so I recommend you check their list of compatible powered USB hubs before you dive in.

Good luck!

I have the camera connector. So I guess I need the HUB to take care of the charging

You don't need a hub for that, just the version of the camera connector that includes the charging pass through.

To connect both an audio interface and USB MIDI keyboard (meaning at the same time), you will also need a powered USB Hub.

Or you can use an audio interface that, itself, includes a USB port to attach the keyboard.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have an iConnect Audio 4+ which does everything you want, but the interface is cumbersome menu-diving. I"d prefer something like the Zoom or the new Roland Rubix, but I don"t know for certain if either of these will charge the iPad. The iConnect will, but has been replaced with newer models. https://www.iconnectivity.com/

Here for the gear.

yep, the iConnect Audio 4plus has been upgraded to the iConnect Audio 4c which adds USB type C connectivity along with a few other upgrades. Personally I've had very good luck with iConnectivity tech support. (they came to my rescue when a lightning strike took out my ICA4+) Big ups to iConnectivity!

I like the iConnect audio but newer models are expensive. Ideally I want to stay in a lower price tag, so I should probably check The Zoom or the Rubix

I've been looking into using the Zoom U-24 because I think it will give me 4 outputs instead of 2, if I want to direct the sounds from different apps to different physical locations (different mixer channels or amps or outboard processors). It's also important for me to have 5-pin DIN MIDI In and Out, though, which may or may not be important to you.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

1. To connect a USB audio interface or USB keyboard to an older lighting iPad, you need the Apple Camera Connection Kit (CCK); it will also charge your iPad.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

2. To connect both an audio interface and USB MIDI keyboard (meaning at the same time), you will also need a powered USB Hub.

You don't necessarily need a powered hub if the audio interface has its own power. I connected my MOTU MicroBook IIc to a non-powered hub along with my Roland keyboard. The CCK had power going to it which kept the iPad charged and also powered my keyboard. The MOTU interface has it's own charging cube.

The Zoom looks more portable than any, other than the PlugKey. Only question I have is whether it will charge an iPad with the power adapter plugged in.

From one report I read online, it does not. But that's only an issue on a newer device that has USB-C instead of Lightning. If your device has a lightning connector, you're going to have to buy a lightning adapter regardless, so as long as you buy the one with the charging pass-thru, it's not an issue. (The reason it was such an attractive feature on the plugkey was that the plugkey was a lightning device and didn't require the USB-to-lightning adapter in the first place.)

The original Apple Camera Connector does NOT have a separate charging connector. The later USB3 version does. I use that, with iPad charger, Lightning cable, USB to Lightning cable (to connect to keyboard), and an audio cable with my iPad mini 2 for that purpose, have done so for several years. Works well, keeps it charged, sounds great.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

The original Apple Camera Connector does NOT have a separate charging connector. The later USB3 version does. I use that, with iPad charger, Lightning cable, USB to Lightning cable (to connect to keyboard), and an audio cable with my iPad mini 2 for that purpose, have done so for several years. Works well, keeps it charged, sounds great.

This sounds like a simple and cheap solution to me. At least until I use this combination some time and check it on stage. I could probably ask for a better solution afterwards, but for the time being the newer Apple camera connection with then charging option sounds good enough to me

Did you misstate or am I missing something - USB to lightning for your keyboard? I have the same USB3 CCK and it has a single USB-A jack along with the lightning jack for power. I use a regular USB A-to-B cable to connect my keyboard.

All well and good if your iPad still has an audio out. The new Pros don"t, so some of us are looking ahead to an interface that passes MIDI audio while charging the iPad, from a single Thunderbolt or USBc plug. I imagine these are on the horizon (perhaps why Korg has discontinued the PlugKey) but right now the only options are a desktop unit like iConnectivity 4C, a portable USBc interface to a fully charged iPad Pro, or a CME WIDI Master (has Bluetooth 5 to match what"s on the iPad Pro). Hopefully this latest Bluetooth has mitigated discernible latency, but not owning a new iPad Pro yet, I can"t be certain.

Here for the gear.

â¦right now the only options are a desktop unit like iConnectivity 4C, a portable USBc interface to a fully charged iPad Pro, or a CME WIDI Master (has Bluetooth 5 to match what"s on the iPad Pro). Hopefully this latest Bluetooth has mitigated discernible latency, but not owning a new iPad Pro yet, I can"t be certain.

This is true only if you strenuously object to connecting one additional cord for a USB hub like the Kingston Nucleum that I use. Just in the interest of getting accurate information out there, for anyone who doesn"t mind carrying this tiny, weightless usb hub with (or even attached to) literally any audio interface, you can connect your midi device and charge your iPad at the same time. The Nucleum has the same exact power charging capability as my old Korg Plugkey: you simply plug your wall charging cable into the side and the whole thing charges your iPad.

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3