Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ordered mine today. The sequencing tracks are genius. Plan to use it in a DAWless jam setup. Still have a Wavestation SR that has not been turned on for years. I mean really, it is a preset machine and very hard to program. The Wavestate looks to be much, much easier to program. Can't wait to get it.

Wish their FM synth (OpSix) had the same multi tembrel and sequencing abilities.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Ordered mine today. The sequencing tracks are genius. Plan to use it in a DAWless jam setup. Still have a Wavestation SR that has not been turned on for years. I mean really, it is a preset machine and very hard to program. The Wavestate looks to be much, much easier to program. Can't wait to get it.

Let me know what you think when you actually try to start programming wave sequences. You might want to watch my videos if you haven't yet.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

• 1 month later...

Wish their FM synth (OpSix) had the same multi tembrel and sequencing abilities.

I sold my SR after I saw the iOS Version. Makes more sense when you can see visually what's going on and ended it. Plus accessing patches are much easier.

Back on topic- I really hope KORG reconsiders the desktop version. When I saw the XD module I immediately bought it. I like the form factor.

Excellent forum. I had a direct shortcut in my desktop to Keyboard Forum and missed out on the here until now.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Dr. Mike,

I would love a link to your WaveState vids.

I bought one and hacked off the keys so it could be semi flushed with my K4 Controller.

Finally have some gigs coming up that will be more EDM/HipHop instead of (yawn..yawn) the tributes ..again.

7-FA85-D8-D-B0-E5-4-F28-BDA3-FEF7-D522-B211.jpg

2182.jpg.40c7c43fd0966b2748127d9eed97c28a.jpg

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

That's excellent knob-work. It makes the synth pop visually, of course, but those controls really needed to be more distinct. Its a savvy upgrade.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Thanks, it"s because under dim to bright lighting the colors, associated with sections, are easier to grab as they are soft rubber. Plus I couldn"t go right to filter cutoff or saturation after an LED light blast. My eyes recover quicker with Neon.

Even my Controllers use them. Once sections get memorized I can concentrate more on what comes next.

DJTT / DJ Tech Tools

0-B305-CB6-A777-4562-B5-BC-BB2-A36109480.jpg

79596304-2-EA3-4-E1-D-8-BAE-F5-F4-BF1566-E5.jpg

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

• 5 weeks later...

A software editor? Oh holy crap my prayers have been answered. I might finally be able to finish these Goddamned videos... :D

mike

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Dr. Mike,

I would love a link to your WaveState vids.

Sorry this took so long. I've been dealing with a very, very big project for my best client, and have effectively been off MPN for months now.

Here's where the series starts (and you can find links to my Hydrasynth videos too):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSTwY5p_RnWB9I277ZEa3rg

mike

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 9/6/2021 at 8:32 AM, Dr Mike Metlay said:

A software editor? Oh holy crap my prayers have been answered. I might finally be able to finish these Goddamned videos... :D

mike

Dr Mike,

any early impression on the editor ? I found a youtube video, and it seems to solve the biggest wavestate problem for me (i know myself, i would *never* spend hours on the small screen to program anything more than a blip ...)

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

And since we are here, i have another question: it is true, you say (write) in the videos, who would want to use a Wavestate just to play simple sample based sound. But on the other side, i do not know any knobby sample based instrument that weight less than 3 kilos, and cost around 550 euros. So yes, i would also make sense (for me) for simpler sound ... so the question is how you find it restricted to sample playing ?

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

I had a similar question, but I've heard some very good piano and string sounds in demos, so I think its a useful ROMpler in one corner of it. It make sense that Korg would improve the clarity of a revived synth that was born decades back. It begs to be used as a module, especially if your controller can send release velocity and poly AT. The editor is counteracting the three-octave keyboard for me, as well. Its the one serious hardware temptation I have at present. It never really ends. 🤓:keys:

~ John Cleese

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! Sorry for the very late replies. Work has been killing me here. 

To answer your questions: the editor has made things easier for me, but it hasn't turned out to be as much of a gamechanger as I thought it would be. At least the process of creating wave sequences isn't a hopeless nightmare any more. At levels above that, the front-panel controls are actually pretty good, and the unit does well in performance as long as you don't mind the fact that its keyboard is essentially worthless. If ever a Korg synth cried out for the minilogue xd treatment, it's this one and its siblings.

I have to find time to finish those videos once and for all, but now I have to insert one in the middle talking about the editor and adding user samples. I hope I can kill this series before it kills me...

Referring back to page two where we were in a discussion about a "latching pedal", I ran across a post in one of the Wavestate Facebook groups I belong to where someone had solved the problem with an "over-the-counter" solution. They said they were using a Hosa FSC-501 Latching Foot Switch. I ordered one immediately and it's been sitting beside my Wavestate waiting to get tried. I'm in the middle of a complete studio renovation and it may take a while to get it hoked up to verify, but I thought I'd share anyway!

• Like 1

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Stashed for future reference. I'm one of those who would leap on a module version. I love release velocity, but its not as laudable when the keybed is crapulent. I think I could readily find the sweet spot between the editor's small lacks and tweaking the knobs. I feel mildly allergic to "techno" and its 1200 micro-styles, but I'd enjoy having a source of good rhythms to offset my decrepitude. No one has made a big deal of it, but the ROM in this thing has some truly sweet strings and a pretty creditable AC piano sample to offer. I'm one of those humps who always wants to know how the PIANO is, even if its a clonewheel.🙄

~ John Cleese

• 1 month later...

Well, there's a Wavestate Native now, so its time to go back and pore over Mike's review/tutorials in more detail. I'm pleased to have that level of heads-up display for those lanes. It'll be worth the untold hours of noodling I'll have to do to become at least moderately facile. I haven't been exactly wild for grids since my early TR-707 days, but in this case, the challenge seems tasty. I had no other instrument goals in mind unless a tabletop version appeared. This will be better, keeping it nice and tidy within Logic. 

I rarely binge any streaming series, but this will make a good stand-in.

~ John Cleese

Was going to ask for help setting up a damper pedal with Wavestate.  Then I realized I should not try the damper with sounds that are programmed to decay no matter how long you hold a key down.  The next thing I figured out - make sure the damper is plugged in all the way, and check the polarity switch on the pedal.

NOTE:  This was posted before I checked the OS version, which turned out to be 1.0.5.  I used the suggested "Update via USB Boot Mode" to get it to 2.0.0.  The updater won't take me to 2.1.0 at the moment - maybe I have to restart the Wavestate agaim

Question about browsing Performances by Category, on the hardware Wavestate.

Being able to browse by Category is very nice.  However, this only seems to work until  I've entered a Performance and started messing around with filter knobs, mod knobs, etc. 

After I'm done with the knob tweaking, I press Program until I get back to the Perform list.   Category is set back to All.  I have to choose the Category all over again.

There's no shortcut around this, is there?  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This guy figured out how to use the Sample Lane to set up multiple samples for velocity switching within a single Layer (in Wavestate-speak).  Sample Lane will hold up to 64 samples.  Note that he mentions some issue with repeats, and the Youtube comment advising the use of gate mode to address the issue.