Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

USB-powered LED Light for Keyboards

I found I needed some extra light on my keyboards stack as the panel of the new RD-88 under my Mojo 61 is totally in the dark, even if there's some area lighting; and the MODX was dark too. Maybe it's just me, but I do prefer to play keys and compose music with the room lights dimmed.

As a little background info...

I got some great feedback on the 12v (8xAAs) RED LED Lighting (click for link) that I'd added to my original stack 1.5 years ago. And as I'd reported after 5 months, the AA battery life has been great. But since them, I've jammed with it a few times outside the house; plus the stack has been changed (as I upgraded both the epiano and synth), and I haven't taken the time to set the wiring back up yet, as next time I want to make it more "plug & play" for taking apart and reconnecting the light bars.

Anyway, I took a chance on 2 of these $7 USB-powered LED Lights from Guitar Center which is made for laptops, mixers, racks, etc. and it works great and has a low or high setting. The fairly stiff (but flexible enough) cable allows you to easily position it over your board where needed, and of course it powers off when you shutoff your boards. When you power them back on, I find it's still off, but that's not a big deal. I do plan to add some red transluscent tape to the lens, as I think my wife has some of that in her Christmas gift-wrapping stash, but at least now I can see the knobs and switches I need to access.

50SDwkR.jpg

There may be many here who may say "Yup, we know all about those...", but maybe some others will benefit from this posting.

Below are "with" and "without" images of the MODX6 and RD-88 panels for comparison.

0PABnCG.jpg

Cm9J8wo.jpg

8tbb53J.jpg

FCAoE5u.jpg

Cheers.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

which again reminds me of why I rail against keyboards that have black buttons on black backgrounds. It's great that you can solve it with a light, but it's largely poor design that forces you to.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I thought about getting something like this, but our gigs (and our lighting) don't call for it quite so much like they once did, we are not in the lowdown dark and dirty bars so much!. Plus on my MODX I can blindly hit the few non-touchscreen buttons I need to hit :)

Yes, black on black buttons are ridiculous, as is the black labelling on the backsides of some keyboards. Even with my glasses on with bright lights that can be a struggle, to the point where I've wondered if a white sharpie or paint could help with that. Or maybe just gaffers tape with arrows drawn on it to the main outs, sustain pedal etc :)

Thanks for sharing. Do you think it would work as a music light? I often place a cheat sheet on my upper board, and sometimes I have trouble seeing it in low-lighting situations.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I've had a few of those lights - not the exact ones you have, but similar design with the teardrop shape. The slide switches have crapped out on every one I had, so I gave up on them. Maybe they've gotten wise and improved the design, it's been a while. Good luck.

Thanks for sharing. Do you think it would work as a music light? I often place a cheat sheet on my upper board, and sometimes I have trouble seeing it in low-lighting situations.

Well, the cable isn't all that long, so it depends on how low on the back the USB slot is located. On my MODX6, it's about 3" down in the back and the light is about 3.5" above the panel; the limiting factor on my RD-88 is the Mojo 61 board being right above the RD.

I think it would work out OK as long as the cheat sheet was laid on the board itself, and the USB slot isn't buried. You can't really go wrong for $7.

Old No7

ps: Another option would be the < $10 (shipped) "Music Stand Light LED Clip-on Adjustable Duel Twin Book Reading Lamp USB" sold on FleaBay (is rechargeable -- doesn't connect to the board's USB).

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I've used those type of lights on laptops as they are designed for and okay. What would concern me on a keyboard is if the stem is long enough to go from the USB on the back up and over the keyboard.

Might want to label stuff to make it easier to see in dim lit places. I wouldn't use regular tape it might leave residue or not want to come off. I would use something like recording console tape that is meant to be written on and removed later.

https://www.markertek.com/product/pt-256/pro-tapes-001c160mwht-1-inch-wide-white-removable-console-tape

I use LED lighting for my lower board, which is necessary on many gigs (outdoors at night, dimly lit bars, etc.).

OxyLED Tap Closet Lights, One Touch Light, Stick-on

6103oi8lJ+L._AC_UL116_SR116,116_.jpg

I use the OxyLED "Closet Light", two of them attached to the bottom of my upper board.

Instead of using batteries (its normal operation), I found an old Wall Wart laying around that had the proper voltage, and I jerry-rigged the LED Lights to work with the DC Adapter so that I don't need to keep replacing batteries.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Thanks- I've been using these from IKEA, work on most of my gear but oddly not on my Nord stuff. If they're too bright, I stick a little bit of painter's tape.

I like that those you posted have dim switches and flatter heads.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/jansjoe-led-usb-lamp-black-70291232/

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.