Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Stand Straps. Do you actually use them?

Does anyone use the keyboard straps that come with the stand? Am I just being lazy? I've got several sets that came with stands, but ironically, the only keyboard I ever "strapped in" is a digital piano that never gets moved ...

An example - the loop hooks onto the stand while the screws go into the bottom of the keyboard.

IMG-0155.jpg

My "strapped in" keyboard, that never gets moved anyway.You can see the straps sticking out the side.

IMG-4074-1.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I might have gotten them with one stand I bought a while back, never used it. Where's the logic in them? If you or someone else trips into a keyboard setup with your board "strapped in" then the whole thing could come crashing down. If you're pounding away on your board hard enough to potentially shake it off a stand, your keyboard has my sympathies!

Of course there are exceptions to everything. Here's one instance where a strap might be a good idea, were one to try recreating the following with a modern keyboard:

I use a strap as a failsafe on my cheap X stand.

I don't use an X regularly, but for practices or smaller gigs with one keyboard I may...and probably should do this. My x stands are older, very heavy duty but that one pin is all that keeps the thing up.

I have been through an awful lot if x stands in my days and I've never seen those or any other x-stand "straps".

That and we just had an x stand failure in the studio yesterday. it was horribly loud and it left one of the engineers dumbfounded because there was absolutely no one anywhere near the keyboards and it all just crashed to the floor. (would these straps have helped?) maybe.

I however i take full responsibility because i had assumed that the stand had been properly set up, which it turns out was not the case (even though it had been in regular use for several years).

so, full disclosure: its a no name double x stand with a quick release handle that locks the hubs teeth tightly together IF AND ONLY IF THE LOCKNUT ON THE OPPOSING SIDE OF THE HANDLE HAS BEEN PROPERLY TORQUED DOWN!!

Otherwise a slight brush against the handle loosens the whole thing and ...

X stands typically have just that one little pin (the one you move to adjust) holding everything up. If it's standing up, it basically is properly set up, because on the ones I've used gravity will pull it down if not! It's possible the pin wasn't in as far as it could be, depends on the design.

A strap, providing it actually is strong enough to keep the stand up with the pin out, is 100% effective as far as I see it. If the feet or arms (can have the strap on either) can't fall outward away from each other, the stand can't collapse.

Sounds like yours is a bit different than any of mine, with the teeth and locknut setup. The bad part is, the part(s) designed to adjust things are doing double duty--they are also the only things holding the stand upright. not the case say with a Z stand (at least the bottom part). On my spider pro, I'm aware that there are little metal bits under the legs that are stopping the legs from moving apart, so on that stand, those bits are the single point(s) of failure...then again, I don't use those to adjust anything, so they are welded in place. One job! Always good when things have one job only! :D

I never knew there was a product available specifically designed for this purpose, thanks for sharing. :thu:

After having an X-stand fail, which caused cosmetic damage to my K2600, I went to a hardware store and purchased a cargo/tie-down strap which worked fine (got the idea from this forum!). I liked how I was able to snugly torque the strap around the lower arms of the stand. Definitely worth the piece of mind. Tided me over until I obtained a new (non-X) stand.

41IWT42qo6L._AC_SX466_.jpg

I"ve said this before, but it"s been a while:

There are two types of X-stand users, those who have had an X-stand fail, and those who will have an X-stand fail.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Just another perspective; I've read many posts about failing x-stands, for many years. I guess I'm fortunate in that I've been using this Ultimate IQ2000 stand for close to 30 yrs, and it's not failed me yet. It's been through hundreds of gigs and rehearsals, takes 1 second to set up, easily carried, not heavy, and just works. I did take the advice of forumites and strapped it many years ago. Used a cargo strap like Moonglow suggested. Weighs ounces, and is concealed below the board. It's never been tested, but I've no doubt it'd hold things up. I've also never had a bandmate, audience member or anyone for that matter comment on me using an X stand, either positively or negatively. That works for me. I also have a AX90 for gigs that are higher profile. It looks cool, but if I had to haul/setup/breakdown that stand every time I bring the boards out, it'd be a major PITA.

Perhaps it will fail at some point...but strapping it is cheap & simple insurance. I've certainly gotten my money's worth.

2175.jpg.e7d4e1e486002671c20bb1df573ff299.jpg

"May you stay...forever young."

I haven't been playing that long, but have 3 X stands and a table-type stand. The table stand and one of the X stand are good ones but none of the stands came with straps like that. Not sure how much those things would help, if a stand collapses or gets knocked over the keyboard is going to get messed up a little or a lot straps or not. Seems like straps could make a bad situation worse forcing it to stay in a bad position. That's why my good keyboard is on a table stand they seem more sturdy to me.

My real cheap stand spends it's life on my little patio area of my apartment keeping the door to the HAVC closed and as a drying rack for my gym clothes. If it collapses I'll pay the price and have to throw my gym pants in the washer.

I've also never had a bandmate, audience member or anyone for that matter comment on me using an X stand, either positively or negatively. .

Just curious why one's choice of stand would merit any comment from the hoi polloi. What's it to anyone what you choose to hold your keyboard with? I know X-stands and especially the small single-X guys are ridiculed here, but I have and use one proudly - it only has to hold a 10 lb. 61-note keyboard, and it does a fine job! I also have an original Apex for when I used to gig with my 62 lb. KX88 and 45 lb. OBXa. Different tools for different jobs.

My little On-Stage has served me well for years. It's super-light and fits easily on my Remin hand cart with everything else, so I stay one-trip. I do have to remember to tighten the knob that attaches to the spring-loaded pin occasionally, that's it.

For x-stands specifically, straps would make one physically unable to collapse :) At least collapse in the sense that the X collapses outward to a flat "--". The straps stop the arms (or legs) from moving apart. Someone could always tip it sideways or front-toback if they hit it hard enough of course (drunk revelers have very rarely rampaged up on our stage, and once a fight made it's way up there and wrecked some gear...arrests were made by the place but unfortunately we never got paid back)

I'm another one who never heard of stand straps before. I've owned a bunch of stands -- X stands, table, other designs. Never saw a strap before.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I"m not sure how this thread morphed into the life and times of x-stands.

OP"s picture appears to represent a completely different type of stand, unless he"s using a foreign alphabet?

Cyrillic?
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

OP"s picture appears to represent a completely different type of stand, unless he"s using a foreign alphabet?

Ha ha, I"m American but pre-lockdown I was traveling all over Asia.

The stand in the photo is a cheap Chinese stand; it came with the straps. (I"d definitely buy that stand again, if I could find it; it"s well made for the US$50 I paid for it). I also have several generic Asian x-stands that also came with straps; so maybe the straps are a 'thing' out in Asia.

What are you drunk? here's some straps.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Not sure why you couldn't just use a cheap ratchet strap (4 for 10 bucks from harbor freight or some such)...or luggage strap as was suggested. Heck even a strong bungie would probably stop it from falling fast enough so you could grab the keyboard (but better would be something with no give.)

• 2 weeks later...