Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What Keyboard?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.combo-organ.com/Farfisa/Compact/Compact%20Duo%2045i.jpg

I had a feeling it was a Farfisa from that green stripe across the top, but was unsure of the model.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Oh man.....that brings back some memories! I had that organ, as well as a Farfisa VIP 345...

VIP 345 was quite an instrument. I ran mine through a Leslie 860. I sometimes wish I could go back with what I've learned about playing, percussion, and drawbar registration in the past 30 years, and play my 345 again. I'll bet I could make that bugger sing.

That said, I would not trade the stuff I have nowadays for it -- we're living in a golden age for keyboards.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Wow, never knew the VIP 345 was so popular. I had one as well, using a home-made wooden brace to nicely stack it on top of my Rhodes Stage 73. I really wanted the VIP 600 but it was out of my price range.

I ran the 345 through a Ross flanger (yes, you read that right) to obtain a sort of Leslie on chorale type of thing, although it ended up sounding more like a seasick crocodile. :sick:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

And to continue the tangent, the VIP 600 was a monster, especially after I learned that the piano manual was velocity sensitive. Played on a couple borrowed / rented ones over the years.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I had a Compact Duo for a while. LOVED IT. Inspired me to make some truly weird music.

I got it for free in non-working shape from a random dude on Craigslist. Then I had to hunt down the massive power supply for several hundred bucks. Then I spent a small fortune having it fixed up. But within just a few weeks of regular use, I started losing footages left and right. Then some keys wouldn't work. It was heartbreaking. But I couldn't afford to spend huge amounts of cash on upkeep. Also, that organ was like 90 pounds, and super complicated to break down and set up, so I couldn't gig with it.

Eventually I switched to a Nord C1, which checked all the boxes, and sounds about as close as you can get... But man that Compact Duo was the best.

And to continue the tangent, the VIP 600 was a monster, especially after I learned that the piano manual was velocity sensitive. Played on a couple borrowed / rented ones over the years.

Ah yes, the (in)famous Sytheslalom feature:

jeyxj49wih3c5vt2vybv.jpg

I had a Compact Duo for a short time, sold it before the inevitable problems came. Still have a Combo Compact in my garage. I'm afraid to fire it up, haha! Man, I would love to have the space to have all these things set up and ready to play/record. But then again, wouldn't we all?

From 1980 to 1983 I had a Farfisa VIP 345 on 'permanent loan' from a fellow player who simply lost interest in it (He bought a DX7 as a replacement of sorts...). It came with a Leslie 760 and combo preamp. Had a lot of fun with it. Interestingly enough, the Farf rig got a lot of use covering tone-wheel organ parts. So my Hammond tone bore a resemblance to the sound Benmont Tench used on 'Don't Do Me Like That'.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!