Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What I would like to see from Behringer

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they"re on their way to the era of big poly synths that also do gigantic monophonic needs.

MemoryMoog would work.

Don"t need the EML-101 though. Found a mint condition with all original knobs, etc. at a Pawn Shop 15 years ago.

Never heard one, never even knew it was made in Long Beach. Got lucky.

2166.jpg.ed6e87c16b07594d883de2ff920d903e.jpg

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I"d like to see them pay a small royalty to whoever originally designed the synth, or owns the patent. Then I"d feel okay about buying one of their products. I don"t own any yet. Everyone I"ve played feels somewhat cheap and a little nasty.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

About ten years ago, the Keyboard forum with the most activity was Harmony Central "Keys Synths and Samplers". I remember posting in a thread that if Behringer could build analog mixers with dozens of pots, switches, etc, for a couple hundred dollars, they could clone a Minimoog for under $500. If I recall, my post didn't get a lot of positive responses.

As you know, eventually Behringer did come out with the Model D (I own one and love it). So- you can either blame me or give me credit. :)

OK, Behringer- here's my next challange. Clone a Hammond B-3.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

1. The long-awaited CS-80 clone, with a proper ribbon strip and polyphonic aftertouch like the original.

2. An electromechanical Wurlie.

3. An Elka Synthex

4. +1 on the Rhodes Chroma

Really, if you're gonna make duplicates of past synths, choose the most unobtainable, revered synths & keyboards out there! Don't give me copies of low-tier stuff I can find on Reverb with a cut-down keyboard.

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

About ten years ago, the Keyboard forum with the most activity was Harmony Central "Keys Synths and Samplers". I remember posting in a thread that if Behringer could build analog mixers with dozens of pots, switches, etc, for a couple hundred dollars, they could clone a Minimoog for under $500. If I recall, my post didn't get a lot of positive responses.

As you know, eventually Behringer did come out with the Model D (I own one and love it). So- you can either blame me or give me credit. :)

OK, Behringer- here's my next challange. Clone a Hammond B-3.

And a new rotarypedal!

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

1. The long-awaited CS-80 clone, with a proper ribbon strip and polyphonic aftertouch like the original.

2. An electromechanical Wurlie.

3. An Elka Synthex

4. +1 on the Rhodes Chroma

Really, if you're gonna make duplicates of past synths, choose the most unobtainable, revered synths & keyboards out there! Don't give me copies of low-tier stuff I can find on Reverb with a cut-down keyboard.

Behringer is already supposed to be doing the CS-80, so I didn"t mention that, but I agree with that being on the list. The EML-101 was not a lower tier synth. It was quite powerful, just not as well known.

I"ll amend my original post to say an EML-101 with pitch and mod wheels.

EML-101 is a really powerful 4 Oscillator synth w/ MultiMode Filter.

It"s duo phonic capability really is unique, especially holding down the root and hitting 5ths or Octaves.

It would be a great candidate for a clone due to having the ability to have 2 Sub Oscillators and 2 OSC" s for waveforms.

HipHop guys don"t know what their missing as this beast can do 808 style including the kick transient.

Definitely a cone killing beast.

How long until they build a flagship - Oasys or Kronos type thing.

Probably never.

The only people who want such a thing are guys in their 50s or older. Not enough of a market

In addition to that, their main focus is on analog stuff. I don't think they have a lot of interest in doing digital keyboards so far.

(...)The only people who want such a thing are guys in their 50s or older. Not enough of a market

Ouch. But probably true.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Since this thread is about 50% fantasy anyway, I'll contribute "Zamaha BX-1." It'll look like the GX-1, but it'll only be a mega-stand for their other gear. It'll be the poor man's version of Geddy Lee's giant keyboard rig.

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

Probably never.

The only people who want such a thing are guys in their 50s or older. Not enough of a market

This does seem to be a trend. I wonder if they would do a sample synth like the Prophet X.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Copping old analog designs is one thing. Building a large (and often proprietary) library with the flex of the Prophet X's is no small feat. It doesn't jibe with Behringer's cheap-&-fast ethos. Their Wave 'BPG' is about as close to that as I'd expect them to go. Square/saw/pulse/sine is much easier to mold than multiple gigabytes of samples.

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

I don"t think Uli is scrounging for development money. He has acquired a lot of IP and attracted a lot of developer talent. A sample library could easily be commissioned or he hires a developer to do in house. The question is if he"s interested. Apparently wave table synthesis and drum machines with sampling are a in their more recent product announcements.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Probably never.

This does seem to be a trend. I wonder if they would do a sample synth like the Prophet X.

you mean a keyboard sampler?

I'm guessing they'll wait until Akai releases their rumored MPC keyboard, and then decide whether or not to clone that (like they cloned the Arturia Keystep) based on sales numbers

Probably never.

Big part of Workstation R&D is software development more than hardware and take more design and longer to debug.

Probably never.

Big part of Workstation R&D is software development more than hardware and take more design and longer to debug.

How about the people who hold the purse strings for R&D? Don't you think they need to be convinced to loosen the purse strings first?

Didn't see your comment about the EML-101 earlier, when I made my suggestion list, Radagast. Wasn't meaning to imply that it was "lower-tier". No offense, I hope.

No worries. I realized it was a little ambiguous and you could have been talking directly about items Behringer has already cloned or are talking about cloning.

My first synth was an EML-101. I bought it over a Mini because of its extra features, but never loved the basic tone. Listening to old tapes confirms this. I sold it to build my first E-MU out of sub modules, and it sounded far better.

I wonder if that is because Electrocomp used op-amps instead of transistors?

I tend to agree about its tone and using cleaner sounding OpAmps.

Since they worked so well on mixers of the era it prolly seemed a wise option.

The Behringer MonoPoly sounds very similar, which is why Behringer would likely pass on it though.

One thing is certain, Behringer resources and acquisitions makes them a perfect choice to create the Synth of Death once they run out of clones.

My guess is somebody is submitting designs for R & D.

I"d love to get rid of my PC"s and modules for an all in one synth.

Kronos is really a good option for now, but I"m a B3 and Horn Section lover and keyswitched Chris Hein Horns is noticeably better, as is the HX3.5.

Guess I"m lazier these days, but still can"t let go of quality sound.

Thankfully after years of using Omnisphere and ZebraHZ I can get pretty much everything I need synth wise.

I got 10 more years of motivation left, Really want the all in one.