Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer OB-Xa

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... just because there is an Xpander in this video, that doesn't mean that Behringer based their synth on it.

And I wished they made an Xpander and not a OBXa.

When I wanted the best Oberheim tone,- I´d want a SEM based poly or the OBX.

When I wanted best flexibility, MIDI and CV/gate, more LFOs, VCAs and ENVs, modularity and MIDI multi mode,- I bought the Xpander and sold the OB-8 and even it was already improved over the OBXa w/ all it´s page-2 features.

The Xpander is not tinny,- it still sounds fatter than any of the Oberheim VST/AU emulations out there,- and I own a lot of these AND the Xpander (together w/ a refurbed XK).

A.C.

The second video sounds more like what I was expecting. Judging any product, as mentioned, by one single video is pretty silly, though I have no problem with people who say "it's not sounding great to me in this example".

Sounds like it may be around for Xmas. I like it, but my next keyboard will be the Osmose, knock on wood.

They did a good job with the DM12, but one thing I found illusive to make on that synth was the really big monster pads...and I've heard others say the same (which you might not expect). When I bought a Virus TI, those huge pads were so easy thanks to all my fiddling on the DM! I bet this one will do some impressive thick pads :)

I could do without the drum layers though....

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

We're all going to run it through a cheap DSP chorus anyway and you know it.

Well, I´d have more options,-

running the mono out to the analog Rocktron Prochorus ( 6 hard panned and/or centered tap delays w/ mixable LFO/ ENV-follower modulation, feedback path on DLY #1 and/ or #6 ),- then use the B-OBXa´s stereo audio outs w/ their own voice pannings,- and on demand w/ a bit of reverb or delay.

I can imagine fat pads and stabs.

Eats 4 channels on the mixer though ...

A.C.

Where did you get that information or is it on your wish list?

From Behringer rep.

And it is on my instabuy list.

Wow if that synth goes for that low a price it will sell out quickly! Thanks for the update!

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Sorry about that. I'm a little testy from getting ready for relocation, very busy time.

So Mike, you're finally getting out of Dodge! NY State has always been one of my favor states! A little cooler than PA, and upstate is not to be confused with NY City.

Hang in there. The Taxes in New York have been WAY out of control and people will do well to leave.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry about that. I'm a little testy from getting ready for relocation, very busy time.

Really? This was the excuse you went with? What's next guy, are you going to personally block delivery of behringer orders because of a bad breakfast?

Vintage synth owner here as well and embarrassed FOR you.

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with ANYONE making affordable remakes of synths long gone by. It happens to be the B-word doing it.

It's really simple. Vintage synths SHOULD be onhand to young music minds but they aren't, they're vintage - no longer made. What's left is priced accordingly.

The tech is here and being utilized to deliver a repro of these synths (absolutely fine repro's at that). Behringer was the one investing in provision of this (and doing a bang up job at that) while the rest slept.

Personally I prefer leaving the vintage in studio while these (very) affordable and capable options be used live.

And if KORG, Roland, Yamaha, etc could get out of their damn own way to successfully follow suit they could have, they would have. They didn't. For the most part they've released a smattering of limited, often crippled, some sub-par (and somehow still overpriced) options here and there.

Behringer Model D, Poly-D, Odyssey, the 2600, K-2,CAT, Pro-1, VC340, soon the OB...have at it. Learn the synthesis Make music. Don't listen to bored qwerty warriors.

Man, the point is to PLAY these things first and foremost, right? Some of you are missing out on a lot of fun.

Really? This was the excuse you went with? What's next guy, are you going to personally block delivery of behringer orders because of a bad breakfast?

No excuse, it is a FACT.

Don't ever question or confront me again. I don't approve of your lack of compassion.

Dear Real Issues

Just like everyone else you WILL be questioned for what's said and done in regard to each topic. This is a forum.

Rather than having others witness any further pathetic attempts of bullying by you perhaps it's best to avoid bringing your private life and issues to this forum.

Good luck on this endeavor.

No excuse, it is a FACT.

Don't ever question or confront me again. I don't approve of your lack of compassion.

I have an excellent fix for the OB problem: Cherry Audio's Memorymoog variation, the Memorymode. :laugh:

My view is colored by loving softsynths after my own years of schlepping/interfacing hardware and stinting the gas bill to pay the synth repairman a few times in the 80s. It was a colorful period between being a feckless hippie and becoming a driven yuppie with synths to maintain.

If you're okay with Behringer & have a hardware jones to feed, I'm still okay with you as a human being. Its a venal sin at best! Sometimes GAS wants what it wants, which is partly a creative choice and thus, none of my bleeping business.

For me, the appeal of added effects, drop-down mod-matrix grids and other enhancements makes almost all hardware besides controllers seem quaint. Anyone who seriously cares "should" learn to play the keys SOME, but my choice would be to hand a (lucky) newbie a Prologue 8-voice and a good OB emulator like OBsessive or the OB-X V. It'd be the best of four or five worlds at once.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

In the early 1980s, I saw the Thompson Twins and their keyboardist (don't remember his name) played an OBX-A or an OB-8 with outstanding results. Very versatile. He utilized keyboard splits in almost every song to segment discreet patches and fill the band's sound. Never forgot that concert - events like that motivate me to want one.

Steve Coscia

I was the synth player on a few Liza Minnelli tours many moons ago. Not to mince words, my main job was to help them avoid having to hire a string section in every town we went to. I started out using my OBXa and it did a great job â I remember getting compliments on the sound from the wife of our lead trumpet player, she being a string player in a regional symphony orchestra. On later tours I used my Mirage, which of course sounded more "realistic." I'm not sure which of these two early string-substituters was "better", but for the music we played, the OB strings were 100% fine.

True, another good one is OPX Pro for a rather quick answer.

Sonic Projects OP-X Pro II, discoDSP OB-Xd, SEM V, OBXa V and Cherry Audio 8-Voice here.

Hardware = Oberheim Xpander

In software, I´m very satisfied w/ OP-X Pro II, OB-Xd and 8-Voice alone.

They make Arturia obsolete for me.

TAL J-8 will possibly be my next purchase,- much better than Arturia.

IMO,- Cherry Audio "Mermorymode" isn´t close enough to the original up to now, but it´s 1st release and I think they´ll get it better w/ upcoming updates,- so I wait.

I also wait because Memorymoon - Memorymoon is in it´s C++ 64Bit upgrade work too which might be finished this year.

: :)

A.C.

We"re to the point where the software and new hardware both sound the same.

Sold my vintage gear, even though it sounds much better than newer hardware and software.

Just like lugging around a Master MIDI controller and a PC.

I prefer the endless mediocrity of software because it"s a quick set up/tear down.

Behringerheim sounds pretty good though.

Much better than the CAT knock off.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I have an excellent fix for the OB problem: Cherry Audio's Memorymoog variation, the Memorymode. :laugh:

I would have thought most Cherry Audio customers would choose Eight Voice over Memorymode for Oberheim sounds.

Sure, unless like me, they were reaching Oberheim Oberload and glad for a clear alternative. :keys:

There are many emulations of the usual big names, but this is only the second Memorymoog and it'll fit my new system. I've developed a major new pad jones lately, so I look forward to running it through a Valhalla Supermassive and Delay and tapping that aspect. I decided I was too short of focus to climb Mount Eight Voice, but I can handle the novelty of the MM. I've always preferred slab synths. I obviously have no Eurorack t-shirts.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

We"re to the point where the software and new hardware both sound the same.

QFT !

Sold my vintage gear, even though it sounds much better than newer hardware and software.

I´m about doin´n the same step-by-step too.

Many items already sold.

Behringerheim sounds pretty good though.

I think so too, but I cannot imagine buying new analog synths in hardware.

My future rig might be a Kurzweil K2700, MAG Custom Organ, SCOPE/XITE and a handful of VSTi running on the laptop.

CW NOAH EX for my Yammi KX5.

A good and knobby "synth action" USB-MIDI keyboard controller toy in addition,- depending on what´s available then.

Next year I think, when the K2700 is released and got it´s 1st or 2nd update.

A.C.

I would have thought most Cherry Audio customers would choose Eight Voice over Memorymode for Oberheim sounds.

Sure, unless like me, they were reaching Oberheim Oberload

Oberheim Oberload? Must be nice to have so much Oberheim gear.

I was tempted by the Memorymode and Eight Voice sales but I realized I still have to dig into all those Roland softsynths (Jupiter, Juno, etc.) that I downloaded from Roland Cloud, plus more obscure one - Unfiltered Audio Lion that I wasn't planning on buying, but ended up getting after a pleasant exchange of messages with the developer, and finding out it was deeply discounted at the time.