Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

lightest & best sounding speakers

I know this has been done before. Any latest news? I just did 2 gigs with long schleps and stairs so rock 'n' roller cart not much help. I'm 76, painful arthritis in knees, hips, spine. I'm grateful to be gigging in a few bands at what I call my advanced age. I love my 2 QSC K8's, but they get heavier every time. And as we all know, gear gets heavier after the gig than before. I'd pay a lot for a pair of high quality powered speakers with great sound that weigh less than 20 lbs. each. Does such a thing exist? I'd also consider passive speakers and a small powered mixer/amp. But that adds a piece of gear and more stuff/cables to set up (or go wrong). If there were very good passive speakers that were very light, I'd consider going that route. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I'm just sore and cranky after the 2nd gig.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

Bring one K8. Half the weight and very price conscious since you already own it.

LOL. Y'know, that thought occurred to me at today's gig. Small stage, not much room, I'm the only one that cares about my stereo sound, nobody's gonna be listening that closely anyway. Also, the gig leader said I could go through the PA instead. I shoulda taken him up on it. Hmm. Maybe that's what I oughta do ...
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I'm rethinking this. I could pack a QSC but also bring a DI box and say I'm going direct to PA. If there's a problem with that, I'd use a QSC. If not a problem, I send the Nord and wireless sax mic to PA. Hmmm ...

I know this has been done before. Any latest news? I just did 2 gigs with long schleps and stairs so rock 'n' roller cart not much help. I'm 76, painful arthritis in knees, hips, spine. I'm grateful to be gigging in a few bands at what I call my advanced age. I love my 2 QSC K8's, but they get heavier every time. And as we all know, gear gets heavier after the gig than before. I'd pay a lot for a pair of high quality powered speakers with great sound that weigh less than 20 lbs. each. Does such a thing exist? I'd also consider passive speakers and a small powered mixer/amp. But that adds a piece of gear and more stuff/cables to set up (or go wrong). If there were very good passive speakers that were very light, I'd consider going that route. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I'm just sore and cranky after the 2nd gig.

My buddy out here is same age and his B3 and some amazing Leslies haven't been out of his garage in ages. Still gigs with couple boards and amp. He's good at key bass and bands want to save money by not haven't a bass player so he get's lots of work. He makes it part of his agreement to play to either pay for a roadie or others help him load in and out. Most the others are around his age so they share the cost of a roadie, well a young guitarist who needs money. Sometimes my buddy for small VFW type gigs will just pay the kid himself

Yeah but when they stick you in the PA you lose all control over being able to adjust your own volume and hear yourself - that"s no fun either.
Yeah, you're right. I've had that experience. I need at least one speaker as my personal monitor. And as long as I'm doing that ...

I'd pay a lot for a pair of high quality powered speakers with great sound that weigh less than 20 lbs. each. Does such a thing exist?

The EV ZXa1 are 19 lbs each. They don't go quite as loud as the K8, but they still go quite loud. I think they actually sound better than the K8, too. (But not as good as the K8.2.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thank you. The EV ZXa1's also come in white. Not sure how practical that is. Maybe for a wedding band. Would show wear and tear pretty quickly.

Thank you. The EV ZXa1's also come in white. Not sure how practical that is. Maybe for a wedding band. Would show wear and tear pretty quickly.

One advantage of the white is that they won't get as hot on outdoor gigs. The EVs do not have a fan. With the black ones, at least, I learned they have to be kept in the shade on a hot day outdoor gig to avoid a temporary "protection curcuit" thermal shutdown. I assume the white could withstand a bit more sun.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Most venues or bands with PAs won't give you two monitor wedges with separate mixes because they won't or can't spare two channels "just for the keyboard player." But, if you do get at least your own mix with one wedge, you could tell them put one side of your stereo feed in that, then use one of your K8s for the other side. Not a perfect solution maybe, but something worth trying on a gig imo. I feel for you, because I've been thinking exactly the same thing recently as gigs start happening again. I just turned Medicare age and the shlep is getting old. Not old enough for me to forgo stereo though - not yet at least!

Over the years I have tried to warm up to cabinets with either a 8" or 10" speaker, but I always end up back to 12", unfortunately, cabs then get bigger and heavier. Anyone with examples of small, light cabs with 12"?

Bass cabinets make use of multiple same-size speakers to get good low end instead of using, say a !5", as another option, is there any small, light cabs for keys that might use two 8" or 10" for better low end?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Anyone with examples of small, light cabs with 12"?

My Electro-Voice ELX200-12P's are 34lbs and sound great. They aren't as light as I'd like, but are lighter and sound better than a lot of other 12 inch speakers. But it's a trade-off. For me, the extra weight is worth the better sound, for now.

I'd love something lighter that would give me enough low-end.

Yamaha Montage M6, Nord Stage 4 - 88, Hammond SK-Pro 73, Yamaha YC-73, Mainstage, Yamaha U1 Upright