Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Living with the Yamaha P515

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Geesh, everything I'm going to need once settled in Virginia next month, is on indeterminate back-order or worse (Mesa won't take orders!). I'm simply not going to be able to fit a keyboard or an amp cabinet in my tiny car.

On top of that, my pre-order of the anniversary Theremin is now expected to ship no sooner than Christmas!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Dear Friends,

freight transport costs are now around 10 times bigger than they were ca. 2 years ago and years back. This includes mostly transport by sea, container ships, like I think most of our instruments travel the world until they reach the shops. Covid and most likely an economic war between USA and China caused this. Freight transport is now the best business in the world, at least one of the best ones. In those circumstances it's not strange that we have very little stock of instruments, shipped mainly from China and generally eastern Asia where they are manufactured/assembled. I will be no wondered when some production will come back from "the biggest factory of the world" to western countries. And that may be finally a long-term positive effect of the whole situation with pandemic.

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7

I found one in a 'burb outside Chicago, but local pickup only.

https://reverb.com/item/39041435-yamaha-p-515-88-key-digital-piano-with-speakers

I can't speak for other instruments and their owners but as a keyboardist, I love the the "hunt," when I make a decision as to my next purchase. I personally can't think clearly when practicing when I'm in hunt mode. I also feel after a successful hunt, I practice with new inspiration.

Good luck, Dave

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

For those interested in the global shipping crisis, I recently conducted an interview with freight giant Hapag Lloyd on this subject for a trade magazine I edit.

Clonk

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• 3 months later...

Dave I find myself totally in line with your toughts about the P-515 and the weak spots you found there in the sound. Fortunately I caught the glitch when I tryed the instrument at a shop near home and decided to move from my cp4 to a kawai mp7se, skipping also the cp88 (I was really ungry with yamaha for they had removed the velocity fine tune options from that board).

Given that and my old experience with the cp5 (there were annoying weak Eb6 and E6 in the main CF3 piano sound there), I was really impressed with the kawai possibility to change volume AND voicing (AND tuning...) PER NOTE in their piano sounds. Really humble approach from that company I would say. If your P-515 had such a function you'd probably be able to solve the issue it has for you.

Also I remember that, were it possible, I would have raisen a notch the upper registry volume in the CP4 beautiful cfx sound to a better balance in my opinion (I'm also playing jazz so I know how much important it is for us to have a single note line singing out (a magic an average real piano always does one way or the other)

Time has passed and I migrated to the nord grand and am living with nord's uneven sounds these days.

But now the cp88 has been updated with the touch sensitivity option, I'm giving myself a treat with a cp88 I found on a good sale and which is arriving this week.

They are so different in sound approach (and action) that I couldn't resist to have the luxury to litterally change world when I feel the desire :)

I will let you know my experience (will have some trio gigs this month playing some Bill Evans)