Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thomann Vat United Statea?

Really struggling to understand this. Example) Thomann is selling the Vox Continental 73 for $1222 plus $57.92 shipping. Is that it? That is really inexpensive compared to Sweetwater, GC, etc...

However, it says all prices exclude VAT(net). What does this mean? How much more.would I have to pay?

Tia

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's it- the price as listed plus shipping. VAT is the Value Added Tax that is typically paid in Europe, we in the US don't have to pay it. I have bought some fairly substantial items from Thomann USA and it went very well.

That's it- the price as listed plus shipping. VAT is the Value Added Tax that is typically paid in Europe, we in the US don't have to pay it. I have bought some fairly substantial items from Thomann USA and it went very well.

Ummm... Wow!! I can't think of a reason not to buy the items from them that they're allowed to ship to US

I'm not experienced in buying music gear internationally but recall seeing a forum discussion about some threshold (monetary? computer/technology components?) that would tie up certain purchases for at least several weeks in U.S. Customs. My best recollection was that purchases over some hundreds of dollars ($400?) would trigger Customs scrutiny, so the poster was comfortable purchasing items like keyboard stands from Thomann but not actual keyboards.

Here's one - there are some companies whose policy is that you get warranty service through the dealer where you purchased their product.

dB

I suppose you would want to make sure you were getting an item compatible with USA electrical systems as well.

Also discussed in another recent post is buy items from other countries if under $800 the US government lets it slide. Anything over $800 there are customs fees and possibly state fees for buying out of state/country. Government wants their cut.

Also discussed in another recent post is buy items from other countries if under $800 the US government lets it slide. Anything over $800 there are customs fees and possibly state fees for buying out of state/country. Government wants their cut.

Docbop's memory is better than mine. This is what I was trying to recount.

I'm not experienced in buying music gear internationally but recall seeing a forum discussion about some threshold (monetary? computer/technology components?) that would tie up certain purchases for at least several weeks in U.S. Customs. My best recollection was that purchases over some hundreds of dollars ($400?) would trigger Customs scrutiny, so the poster was comfortable purchasing items like keyboard stands from Thomann but not actual keyboards.

Potentially at least. It depends on the port or state or country of origin or all of the above to some extent. I bought a $7000 guitar from Japan. I live in California. It made it to me without any hold up in customs or additional fees. I just paid shipping costs.

Here's one - there are some companies whose policy is that you get warranty service through the dealer where you purchased their product.

dB

I suppose you would want to make sure you were getting an item compatible with USA electrical systems as well.

This is a recurring problem. One of my favorite YouTube synth/modular channels is a guy located in England. He frequently buys from Thomann and half the time it seems that they send him gear with a power interface specific to Germany. I don't know why he keeps buying form them, unless they are so cheap that he can afford to buy his own power bricks and cables.

By the way, I've bought Eurorack modules from them in the past with no issue of shipping, import fees or taxes. I never spend more than $500 at a time.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Well they don"t want it as badly as you might think. $800 usd and under sounds really generous.

I was the original poster regarding Thommans- got excellent advice from many of you above. I decided to wait. Lo and behold my ultra-awesome Sweetwater guy (Jeff Bohan) came through getting a Mojo classic to me, right in time for a series of gigs. Actually was able to fedex the night before the first show so didn't need my "Plan B".

They (actually no-one in USA) didn't have the case which I ended up buying from Thommans.. I would of waited for Sweetwater, but desperately needed it, as the cardboard box & comforter wasn't cutting it....

Came pretty quick- and no charges other than international shipping which brought the price within $10.00 of the USA prices. I think as Marzz, Docbop and others have said: accessories- stands, cases, etc. that are under $500.00 are probably ok. That said, because they have consistently done me right-I'll do my best to show my loyalty to Sweetwater even on the little stuff.

The lower prices for big ticket gear is very seductive, but trying to navigate definitive customs charges for anything over $800.00 is a royal PITA. I could never get a straight answer from UPS, both in the states and in Germany. Thommans though super nice, couldn't provide any help either.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Thursday I made orders for Eurorack equipment from three companies, Sweetwater in Indiana, Perfect Circuit in California, and Thomman. I'm in Kentucky, the middle of the US. My Sweetwater arrived Saturday, 2 days. My Thomman order is due to arrive Monday, very quick shipping for overseas. My Perfect Circuit order is due Wednesday, 7 days. I did have to pay shipping on the Thomman order but it was not bad for overseas. I ordered three modules from Thomman because everyone in the US was out of those modules.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Is that a typo???

The limit here used to be 22, including shipping charges. Everything above that got slammed with 19% VAT. Since July 1st, that limit has been removed â VAT is applied to ALL imports from outside the EU (but not raised if the tax would amount to less than 1).

This is obviously a reaction to the global home shopping development, to avoid a 5 phone bumper from China being given the competitive advantage of avoiding sales tax.

Customs and import duties apply for all orders worth more than 150, including shipping.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

I have looked at Thomann's prices. What I don't understand is WHY their prices are so much lower than American companies? I have done business with a few different companies when I was active playing giges and getting paid for my shows, but I don't take giges anymore.

I would never agree to pay MAP: for anything I ever bought. The Last thing I bought of any real value was an Alesis ION. I talked to my Sweetwater Rep and of course he asked for MAP. I showed him on the Internet where I could get it for much less, and he agreed to lower the selling price. I wanted to buy the ION from Sweetwater if they could give me a selling price I was willing to pay.

Back then Alesis was having problems getting their software upgrades to work properly and I wanted to be sure I got the 3rd upgrade because Alesis got their flash upgrades to work. I also wanted a new in the box synthesizer, not a return or a floor model. My Sweetwater Rep gave me a price I could live with so I ordered it from them. I got what I asked for and the ION still works to this day.

It is my understanding that Sweetwater Reps work on straight commission and that is why they want to get Map. Having worked Sales jobs, Sales Manager Jobs, and General Manager jobs over my career, I believe that start commision sales jobs are for suckers. That ssid, your employer is not Santa Claus, but neither am I. My car cost money to operate and my time is worth something.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

From what I've seen, pretty much any and all online music retailers charge the same for a product. Years ago Sweetwater was known to be more expensive, but anytime I check a price there and compare it to places like Sam Ash, Zzounds, AMS etc., they're almost always the same - sometimes to the penny. I think all these stores know that it's not that hard to shop for a good price these days!

There does not appear to be an actual store or warehouse location in the USA. Thomann USA is just a department or team of sales people dedicated to the USA. Everything on the website suggests its operations are handled from a single location in Germany.

From what I've seen, pretty much any and all online music retailers charge the same for a product. Years ago Sweetwater was known to be more expensive, but anytime I check a price there and compare it to places like Sam Ash, Zzounds, AMS etc., they're almost always the same - sometimes to the penny. I think all these stores know that it's not that hard to shop for a good price these days!

I do believe that dealers are required to advertise MAP price on their website if they want to be or continue to be a dealer. At one time Yamaha dealerships required MAP price on websites, but apparently most other dealers do too. That what MINIMUM ADVERTISED PRICE ,means.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Manufactures control advertised prices and sometimes discounts to present a level playing field for all their dealers. So I learned alway asked for discounts. What sucks is for small dealers giving discounts really cuts in to their profit, but large dealers are like car dealers and lots of backend discounts and special run pricing that small dealers never get. I try to support local dealers, but on expensive products I go to the big dealers to save money.

Then buying some product overseas are cheaper than US because they aren't considered an imported product in that country or their cost of importing is cheaper that import costs in US. I first bumped into this as a guitar player wanting a Marshall amp and US prices were so high, but in England they were like half as much. Be the reverse is true for those in other countries wanting US products.