Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cool Songs I'd love to play but the band has no interest

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We rehearsed (and did a decent job of) Africa, but only played it once and that was it.

It filled the floor, but there weren't enough interesting guitar parts in it for the guitarist mefinks...

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Happy Jack by the Who.

Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner by Warren Zevon.

Lime in the Coconut (it's a drunken sing-a-long extravaganza near the end of the last set).

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Oh gawd, so many. I've about had it with cover bands because the guitar player has veto power.

Add in the singer and this reflects my experience perfectly.

I play in a 10 piece outdoor festival, wedding band with horns. Drummer (band founder/leader) refuses to do anything he feels falls into the 'jazz" category. Bring up anything he feels is jazz, he says 'No jazz!' End of discussion. Yet we play plenty of early Chicago.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

"The guitar player has veto power"

I just left a successful band because of continuing issues with the guitar player. I tried my best, but it wasn't going to change. So I had to be the change.

Surprisingly, many of the players asked me what I was going to do next, as they wanted to keep playing with me. Funny how that works.

So we've put this concept together of two strong vocalists up front, with the rest of the band supporting. We found someone who plays a nice acoustic guitar and does tasty quiet fills on electric + plus backing vocals. Winner winner, chicken dinner.

I am so looking forward to playing music that isn't based on a wall of searing, grinding loud guitars. I think our audiences will feel the same way as well. Enough is enough.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

For our high school Band Aid (fundraiser for the prom), I asked some friends to play "Reeling In The Years" with me. It was the only Steely Dan song whose keyboard part I could figure out by ear. We also tried tackling "Hey Nineteen". It was going well until we started looking for a singer.

I got my classmate in French class to join as singer, but then she turned around and recruited her friend as backup vocalist.

Band changed from Steely Dan cover band to Go Gos cover band. Wasn't the guitarist's fault in this case. I guess we boys had a hard time saying no to these two girls.

Oh well. I got to borrow my other buddy's Roland JX3P to play my part. We did "Vacation" and "Our Lips Are Sealed".

My problem is that I like Brown Eyed Girl and Proud Mary. They won't have it.

On the upside, sort of OT, I have gotten my band to play Reeling with me doing lead guitar on a keytar.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

My problem is that I like Brown Eyed Girl and Proud Mary. They won't have it.

On the upside, sort of OT, I have gotten my band to play Reeling with me doing lead guitar on a keytar.

We play Proud Mary, I get to sing harmony so that's fun. Dance floor filler. Every now and then we get a request for Brown Eyed Girl and more or less hose it with fakery but usually everybody's drunk and the bass and drums are grooving so nobody cares.

I love Reelin In the Years and My Old School but we don't play them. We do play Do It Again and it's fun, great song.

I just go with the whole Bar Band deal, at that point we are the chiefs of a happy, drunken crowd of dancers. It is an eternal human condition passed down through the millennia, who am I to disrupt such fun?

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Oh gawd, so many. I've about had it with cover bands because the guitar player has veto power.

I hopeful that the jump blues project may start up again.

Piano, bass, drums, trumpet and sax. Not a guitar player in sight!

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I play in a 10 piece outdoor festival, wedding band with horns. Drummer (band founder/leader) refuses to do anything he feels falls into the 'jazz" category. Bring up anything he feels is jazz, he says 'No jazz!' End of discussion. Yet we play plenty of early Chicago.

See, this would generate tons of jollies for me to troll the guy during performances, throwing in stuff that generates cognitive dissonance with his No Jazz stance.

We had this Bass player who was a Blues Nazi, meaning every Blues tune we played had to be treated as to fit the tradition of the Blues. Me and the sax player would conspire to quote lines that drove him nuts.

It felt like we were teasing the animals at the zoo (not that I'm in favor of teasing animals).

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Had this happen many, many times in different bands.

Sometimes someone feels strongly and negatively about the song--no need to force feed a song someone hates unless it's a guaranteed floor-filler and you are short on those.

Sometimes the band thinks the crowd won't get into it, and sometimes they are right (and sometimes not, and it may depend on the place!)

Sometimes it's a great song, everyone likes it, the crowd would really love it--but it's a terrible fit for the band for whatever reason. The most obvious being that it's a bad fit for the singer in range or style.

I pushed for Lido Shuffle a couple years ago, we worked it up and I think it sounded pretty darn good! But the audiences aren't really into it typically for whatever reason. Sure is more fun to play than Brown eyed girl for the 40 millionth time....

I love (not) how at about 2 minutes in to OP video, the camera is to the left of the keyboardist, facing the crowd. One guy is yawning, and all the chicks are watching the guitar player.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

I love (not) how at about 2 minutes in to OP video, the camera is to the left of the keyboardist, facing the crowd. One guy is yawning, and all the chicks are watching the guitar player.

It's not so much that they're watching the guitar player as it is they are all already bored of the excellent and long intro to this song. We've had that happen. A bit like the audience telling us: "get to the good part already so we can continue dancing, etc."

We have found that to do stuff like this it has to be one of those true 90 minute type shows where it will be hardcore Journey fans who know ALL the songs and love them all.

AT this Last Licks show, I would have been nodding in approval the entire time. The guy nailed it.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Dave, bought an 8 track ampeg back in the day that came with a live off the desk tape of a recording of funeral for friend on it that I would love to recreate. But that aint gonna happen unless an EJ trubute band comes my way. There are many symphonic style songs that deserve recreation from the 60's and 70's but chicks today ain't into them so game over.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Dave, bought an 8 track ampeg back in the day that came with a live off the desk tape of a recording of funeral for friend on it that I would love to recreate. But that aint gonna happen unless an EJ trubute band comes my way. There are many symphonic style songs that deserve recreation from the 60's and 70's but chicks today ain't into them so game over.

LOL; I still have my 8 tracks (many of them) and an 8 track player/recorder. Gee, what lousy quality. I use to buy Maxell 8 tracks to record from my LP's as I found them to have the least amount of hiss.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

One of my faves, and would be a good one to ease into the second set with.

As somewhat lengthy keyboard intros go, I always liked the intro to Could It Be Magic. That's right, the Barry Manilow song. There, I said it. :) Then again, it is basically Chopin's Prelude in C Minor.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

I really wanted my last band to do this song. Three Dog Night's version of this song is just one giant wail/crescendo, and could make for a relentless 3 minutes of rock in a live situation. I couldn't convince the group to pick this one up.

[video:youtube]