Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio gives the CT line a bump

FWIW - picked up a white CT-S1 earlier this week and am absolutely loving it. For the price the sounds are really fantastic and the speakers are equally as impressive. It just makes you want to play the damn thing which I guess is the idea. It"s got a real 'object of desire" feel as well - something which I feel is lacking from a lot of boards, my other half seems in no hurry to clear it off the table or couch which much say something. If Casio decide to bring out an 88 key hammer equivalent with the same look and quality I"ll be first in the queue. Gonna be a fun weekend ð

The sound coming from this inexpensive board is what is most impressive. I"d like to see a tear down to know how they are doing it compared to what"s in the CT-S200 and 300 which is definitely ancient tech as far as timbres. Action wise, I find this synth action more playable and expressive than what they stuck in the PX-Sxxxx. It tracks velocity well and doesn"t suffer from the dead zone near the fall board. ymmv

The fact is has USB midi onboard solves the small sound palette. Which makes me think a 73k or even 88k variant at light weight and attractive price might be a winner.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Does the CT-S1 To Host jack (I had to get a male to male USB cable) really work as a Midi Out? It"s not working that way.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

'The WU-BT10 Bluetooth MIDI and Audio adapter connects to your keyboard's USB type A port, and can send and receive MIDI data to and from other Bluetooth MIDI-compatible gear. It also receives and plays Bluetooth audio using your keyboard's built-in speaker system.'

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Does the CT-S1 USB male in jack (I had to get a male to male USB cable) really work as a Midi Out controller for my iPhone"s Korg Module? It"s not working at all. But my Casio CT-X700, which has the usual USB female In jack, works fine with my iPhone Korg Module.

I assumed so from looking at specs. It has midi out ya? USB midi out?

Only Bluetooth midi with the optional transmitter?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I read in the specs that the USB To Device jack is for the transmitter.

Checking the other port now,

The micro port labeled 'To Host' works for midi Out to a Module , not the port labeled To Device . I had assumed the port labeled To Device was the correct one, but it"s not.

You"ll need a mini size male usb plug to fit the Casio"s To Host.

The micro port labeled 'To Host' works for midi Out to a Module , not the port labeled To Device . I had assumed the port labeled To Device was the correct one, but it"s not.

The "To Host" port will send MIDI to a host - i.e. a computer (PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, Raspberry Pi...). Some standalone keyboards/modules can act as a host (Kronos, Montage/MOXF, Kurzweil PC4/K2700, a smattering of others) but the majority can't.

In particular: other MIDI equipment with a "To Host" port will not be able to directly interface with the Casio. A male-male cable won't work. You'll need to place something in the middle - either a computer, or a USB MIDIHost device like the Kenton: kentonuk.com/product/midi-usb-host-mk3/

Cheers, Mike.

The "To Host" port will send MIDI to a host - i.e. a computer (PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, Raspberry Pi...). Some standalone keyboards/modules can act as a host (Kronos, Montage/MOXF, Kurzweil PC4/K2700, a smattering of others) but the majority can't.

In particular: other MIDI equipment with a "To Host" port will not be able to directly interface with the Casio. A male-male cable won't work. You'll need to place something in the middle - either a computer, or a USB MIDIHost device like the Kenton: kentonuk.com/product/midi-usb-host-mk3/

That's all correct, but there's a bit of confusion because Jazz+ is not actually looking to connect the keyboard to a module which, as you said, would require a host device in the middle; rather he is trying to connect it to an iPhone running Korg Module. Since the iPhone is a host, the "To Host" port is indeed the correct one. The "To Device" port is to connect to slaves, not hosts (and the slave device the S1 supports is the bluetooth adapter).

For some other possibly helpful clarification, you can't connect a slave to a slave (or a host to a host). And drivers reside on hosts, not slaves. So whether a keyboard works with a given host depends on the drivers in the host (the S1 is presumably class compliant and will work with the stock drivers supplied as part of the Mac, iOS, and Windows operating systems); and whether a keyboard works with a given slave device depends on the drivers that have been installed into the keyboard. Both slave and host connections are bidirectional, there's no separate In and Out function as there is with 5-pin MIDI, it's just a matter of what the programmers decide to do.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

One thing have found - am able to play the CT-S1 from an external controller via usb but no matter what tone button I select the it only plays the main piano sound and nothing else (so no organs, EPs etc.) Which is still great but a bit odd? Am I missing something obvious?

I'm able to send program changes to the S1 using MainStage, but I'm a bit fuzzy how it all works together.

My Settings:

- Local control on the S1 is OFF using [FUNCTION + F#2]

- I"m using the program change and bank select codes from page 76 of the manual

https://www.kraftmusic.com/media/ownersmanual/Casio_CT-S1_Users_Guide.pdf

- In MainStage - I can set the current tone on the S1.

- The hardware buttons on the S1 are also able to set the current tone.

Notes:

- If I turn ON local control, the tones set by the hardware buttons will be layered with the tones set by MainStage.. This is where I'm a bit fuzzy on how it works, it seems there are two independent layers at work here (local and external) and I'm not sure how exactly they interact with each other. When local control is ON - both tone layers are active and controlled independently by the local hardware and external MIDI controller.

- There is a bit of latency with the tones set with external control (via MainStage) because the USB-MIDI is running out to MainStage and then back to the S1.

I'll have to experiment a bit more to see if the external controller (MainStage) can change the tones at the 'local control" layer.

One thing have found - am able to play the CT-S1 from an external controller via usb but no matter what tone button I select the it only plays the main piano sound and nothing else (so no organs, EPs etc.) Which is still great but a bit odd? Am I missing something obvious?

I'm able to send program changes to the S1 using MainStage, but I'm a bit fuzzy how it all works together.

My Settings:

- Local control on the S1 is OFF using [FUNCTION + F#2]

- Program change and bank select codes from page 76 of the manual

https://www.kraftmusic.com/media/ownersmanual/Casio_CT-S1_Users_Guide.pdf

Notes:

- Using MainStage - I can set the current tone on the S1.

- I can also set the current tone using the hardware buttons on the S1.

- If I turn ON local control, the tone set by the hardware buttons will be layered with the tone set by MainStage.. This is where I'm a bit fuzzy on how it works, it seems there are two layers/systems at work here (local and external) and I'm not sure how exactly they interact with each other. Once local control is ON - both tone layers are active with the hardware buttons controlling one tone and MainStage controlling the other tone.

- The tone set with external control (MainStage) has a slight bit of latency because MIDI is running out to MainStage and then back to the S1 (via USB).

I'll have to experiment a bit more to see if MainStage can set the tones at the "local control" level.

Thanks so much, that"s exactly what am experiencing - am actually using it with my iPad Pro so just need to investigate a way of enacting the program change to switch tones

The MIDI implementation on the CT-S1 is decent. Some features are limited by the onboard hardware controls, but you can get more control with an external MIDI controller.

In MainStage, I was able to create program change presets for all 61 tones and also make presets for custom splits/layers (see photos below). If anyone wants to provide online download space, you're free to share the MainStage presets file. Additionally, the CT-S1 responds to both the sustain and expression controls in MainStage, so it is possible to connect 2 or more pedals via an external MIDI controller.

The hardware controls do not respond to MIDI (as far as I know), so you can only control the internal sound engine. One thing to note, the hardware controls stay active, so if you accidentally press them, they will override anything sent from MainStage and you'll have to re-select that option again in MainStage.

Next project is to try this with an iOS app like Keystage, iMIDIPatchBay etc.

61 Presets (CT-S1)

Screen-Shot-2021-06-29-at-4-04-20-PM.png

Splits on the CT-S1

Screen-Shot-2021-06-29-at-6-31-15-PM.png

Layers on the CT-S1

Screen-Shot-2021-06-29-at-6-31-18-PM.png

I got my WU-BT10 bluetooth adapter over the weekend. The MIDI delay on bluetooth to my iPad seems slightly worse than the wired USB->lightning connection. That is my perception but it's close enough that I wouldn't swear to it without a double-blind comparison.

I was hoping to use the bluetooth simultaneously for both MIDI and audio, i.e. using bluetooth MIDI to iPad and then routing iPad audio back to CT-S1 over bluetooth. But the audio delay is way too long (like a short slapback echo).

On the plus side, I took my CT-S1 on a 10 day vacation and it was the perfect no-hassle solution. I even practiced for an upcoming gig in the car while my wife drove :) It would have been nice to have the bluetooth adapter for the vacation so I could stream tunes from my phone in our room.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I got my WU-BT10 bluetooth adapter over the weekend. The MIDI delay on bluetooth to my iPad seems slightly worse than the wired USB->lightning connection. That is my perception but it's close enough that I wouldn't swear to it without a double-blind comparison.

Just received WU-BT10 Bluetooth Adapter as well. As expected, a slight bit of latency compared to the wired connection, but it"s acceptable for me, the difference is quite close. Close enough, that it"s something I feel, more than I am consciously aware of; and I"ve used Bluetooth MIDI connections where I am every conscious of the lag. For reference, all my audio software is running with a buffer size of 64. I was a little hesitant to order this, as it"s expensive compared the price of the CT-S1, but now that I have it, I"m very glad to have it. After I sold my Go Piano, I forgot how fun and useful it is to use Bluetooth MIDI with a portable keyboard.

Interestingly my iPhone with Korg Module has the tightest latency over Bluetooth (better than my 1st gen. iPad), probably because the iPhone is the newest of my Apple devices. On my 2015 MacBook Air, Bluetooth MIDI worked fine with both Pianoteq and MainStage. I was also able to send Program Changes over Bluetooth to the CT-S1.

As usual, iOS and MacOS did not immediately see the WU-BT10 in Bluetooth, I had to download Korg's "Bluetooth MIDI Connect" software which always sees it right away (and then iOS/MacOS finally see the light). I think it's because iOS/MacOS are also looking for the BT audio connection while Korg's software just looks for the BT MIDI connection.

One oddball thing:

In MacOS (Big Sur 11.4), the WU-BT10 name shows up as "04-21-44-ec-07-b9"

The Korg app (on the same machine) shows it properly as 'WU-BT10 MIDI"

In iOS, the WU-BT10 name shows up correctly in both apps.

I've also ordered the WIDI Bluetooth devices which should ship around August/September, so I'll be able to compare BT MIDI devices to see if there's any significant difference in latency.

Tried the onboard metronome and recorder.

LOL

Just wanted to see if I could loop 3-4 bars of comping chords. I guess I've been spoiled by metronome apps that have tap tempo and the mechanism for recording and playing back a sequence was confusing.

Next, I'll try the Chordana app with iPad and USB cable.

Not sure how to get the wired USB connection to work. I plugged a USB cable into the To Device port and the Lightning plug into my iPad.

CT-S1 does not show up as a MIDI controller in AUM on the iPad. Turns out To Device is intended for the WU-BT10 only.

I don't have a USB Type A to USB C cable so I guess that's the end of the Chordana experiment.

Not sure how to get the wired USB connection to work

USB-A to Micro-USB Cable

the smaller micro-USB end plugs into the Casio CT-S1

microusb.jpg

For lightning iOS devices

Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

LightCamUSB3-large.jpg

*** Don't confuse micro-USB with mini-USB.

Mini-USB

mini-usb.jpg

USB-A to Micro-USB Cable

the smaller micro-USB end plugs into the Casio CT-S1

microusb.jpg

Manual says I need a cable with a Micro B connector, which is what I'm missing.

Even though it's more expensive I'm thinking of going for the WU-BT10.

For lightning iOS devices

Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

I do have this one

Same cable as In the photo, just different terminology (micro-usb, micro b connector, usb type b-micro etc.). There is also a micro b plug for USB-C but it looks completely different. The cable below is for USB 1.1/2.0.

microusb.jpg

Same cable as In the photo, just different terminology (micro-usb, micro b connector, usb type b-micro etc.). There is also a micro b plug for USB-C but it looks completely different. The cable below is for USB 1.1/2.0.

microusb.jpg

I appreciate the effort you put in here, but you need not bother further.

I'm going for the WU-BT10.

Those cable photos are very helpful. They should put them in the manual or on their website.

I mistakenly assumed the Device port was the Midi Out and ordered a usb male to male cable . Then I was schooled it"s the mini Host port. Looked at my cable box and found 3 of those never been used cables.

Just wanted to give some feedback about the Casio CT-S1 as I just played a beach gig with with. First impressions is that the piano sound is a winner overall, and the electric pianos come second; the thing that sticks out is that the definiton of each note is quite good. Chord playing is great, comping is easy.

As a side note, I did feel that some of the bass was a little on the heavy side on the piano sounds, but it might be also due to amplification and the acoustics.

Overall feeling is that I can gig with it!

Just wanted to give some feedback about the Casio CT-S1 as I just played a beach gig with with. First impressions is that the piano sound is a winner overall, and the electric pianos come second; the thing that sticks out is that the definiton of each note is quite good. Chord playing is great, comping is easy.

As a side note, I did feel that some of the bass was a little on the heavy side on the piano sounds, but it might be also due to amplification and the acoustics.

Overall feeling is that I can gig with it!

Thanks for your post. I'm curious about what you did for amplification. Did you go mini-plug out to stereo or just to mono? What amp/powered speaker/PA?
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.