Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

BOSS Cube Street II - good enough for the busker?

[video:youtube]

10 W (5 W + 5 W)

Speaker - 16 cm (6.5 inches) x 2

OUTPUT POWER switch: MAX (Maximum power output: 10 W)]

Alkaline battery: Approximately 8 hours

Rechargeable Ni-MH battery: Approximately 10 hours (*1)

[OUTPUT POWER switch: ECO (Maximum power output: 5 W)]

Alkaline battery: Approximately 11 hours

Rechargeable Ni-MH battery: Approximately 14 hours (*1)

Bluetooth Audio MIDI additional purchase

footswitch, ipad app for editing, onboard fx

4.4 kg

9 lbs 12 oz

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

uh oh. GAS coming on ...

edit: on 2nd thought I might wait until reviews are in from early adopters. I don't need it now and it looks like it has many features that are irrelevant to me. I want a high-quality battery powered stereo amp with input/output options. Bluetooth would be nice but not necessary, although everything has bluetooth these days. Rechargeable built-in battery would be nice too, although some prefer rechargeable AA batteries. But I don't need all the amp modeling, looping, efx, harmony, footswitch features that this thing has. This is designed for guitar players, not for keyboard players or wind synths. I'd rather pay for more speaker quality and power than all those bells and whistles. My keyboard has the features I want, I don't want or need them on the amp. EQ yes. Amp modeling? Harmony? No.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Cool little amp, but in my opinion we should be making harder for people to busk, not easier.

I've thought about the Cube 50 as a possible stage monitor because it has stereo lines in and out.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I've had great luck with Boss/Roland products. For keys you might want a high pass filter, I don't think you'll get much low end or volume out of 10 watts and 2 6.5 speakers.

And Adan, how could busking possibly be easier? All anyone needs is a guitar or accordion and someplace to stand. It really is that easy. Oh, wear a hat, put it on the ground and drop a couple of bucks in there so people get the idea. A guitar case will work too.

Why do you want it to be harder? Easy enough to ignore and keep on going. Some of them are really talented - at least around here.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Cool little amp, but in my opinion we should be making harder for people to busk, not easier.

And Adan, how could busking possibly be easier? All anyone needs is a guitar or accordion and someplace to stand. It really is that easy. Oh, wear a hat, put it on the ground and drop a couple of bucks in there so people get the idea. A guitar case will work too.

Why do you want it to be harder? Easy enough to ignore and keep on going. Some of them are really talented - at least around here.

I wasn't going to be the person to ask about that, but thanks Michael for doing it for me lol. ;)

There are two points of concern that most anti-busking folks have in common. 1. Taxation, or more commonly, 2. Musicians' unions. What's your reasoning Adan?

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I have no problem with a few buskers here and there. When they start breeding you can quickly end up with a nasty urban blight.

Perhaps the solution is a device that looks like a portable amp, but when you plug a cord into it and start playing anything by the Indigo Girls . . . kaboom!

I have no problem with a few buskers here and there. When they start breeding you can quickly end up with a nasty urban blight.

Perhaps the solution is a device that looks like a portable amp, but when you plug a cord into it and start playing anything by the Indigo Girls . . . kaboom!

Hmm... a nasty urban blight in Central Vermont? Enlighten me.

I do like buskers far better than the "Homeless with family, including well fed dog sitting at my feet, God Bless" folks with cardboard signs - at least they are attempting to share something of value.

Now, the "Will Drink for Beer" guy, that was honest and funny.

Still, music is why we are here, no? Or is it only the "good kind of music", whatever that is?

When I travel, I like buskers. I heard a family of buskers in Seville that broke my heart.

There are buskers on Granville Island, where I used to hang & shop when I lived in Vancouver. My favourite guy does an English pub-style show in the tradition of George Formby and is a great ukulele player with an outstanding personality. Has never failed to make my day when I'm down. Another guy plays this heady, fx-laden, new-age electric guitar, providing wonderful ambience for tourists.

I know a guy who plays guitar in a Surf Band duo. They have a lot of fun and I sometimes wonder what it would be like to toss me in on a Vox Continental.

Anyway, to each their own.

Here for the gear.

Just watched the video, now I want one!!!!

I've got a Roland Micro-Cube 1st version\, a Roland Cube 40gx that has done me right for quite a few gigs and will see more moving forward, a Boss Katana 50 combo Mk II and I sold a Boss Katana 100 combo that I played many gigs with to buy the smaller, lighter 50 since I really don't need 100 watts (or even 50 but I might use 25 at some point).

Everything has been solid as a rock, sounds great and easy to get the sounds I want. Keeper gear in my book.

It"s a cool little amp and Boss makes solid products, but it"s really designed for guitar and vocals. The Roland Cube EX and KC-220 are still a better choice for keyboard - with proper L/R inputs. I guess that"s how they dropped the price on the Boss by taking out the keyboard inputs :(

Just watched the video, now I want one!!!!

I've got a Roland Micro-Cube 1st version\, a Roland Cube 40gx that has done me right for quite a few gigs and will see more moving forward, a Boss Katana 50 combo Mk II and I sold a Boss Katana 100 combo that I played many gigs with to buy the smaller, lighter 50 since I really don't need 100 watts (or even 50 but I might use 25 at some point).

Everything has been solid as a rock, sounds great and easy to get the sounds I want. Keeper gear in my book.

Did you use the Katanas with a keyboard? How did you like it?

Geez, I mean, if you can't make fun of buskers, who can you make fun of? I thought the humor in my first post was obvious because, after all, what sort of technology could "make busking harder"? That doesn't even make sense as a concept.

To me there's something inherently funny about how buskers will move to fill in any unoccupied space. It's like a law of thermodynamics.

Everyone please relax. No buskers were harmed in the typing of these posts.

Why?

Never mind. You're threatened by their talent in less than optimal performing conditions. Have you tried it?

I've busked on blues harp. Didn't need no stinkin' amp.

Geez, I mean, if you can't make fun of buskers, who can you make fun of? I thought the humor in my first post was obvious because, after all, what sort of technology could "make busking harder"? That doesn't even make sense as a concept.

To me there's something inherently funny about how buskers will move to fill in any unoccupied space. It's like a law of thermodynamics.

Everyone please relax. No buskers were harmed in the typing of these posts.

Gotcha, it's not like I haven't been misunderstood from one of my own forum posts here and there. And all humans are pretty silly, nobody gets a pass...

I mostly only find buskers funny when they are funny. Some of them are hilarious. There used to be one on Pike Street Market in Seattle who would hula hoop, play guitar behind his head, sing and blow some harmonica and once in a while he would shout "Ladies and Gentlemen, the 643rd greatest show on Earth!!!" He made good tips but he was working for it.

My all time favorite was this crazy guy who was busking on Boston Commons before busking was a "thing". He had this elaborate one man band set up and I watched him before we went somewhere else and again when we came back. He had a large crowd in a semi-circle back about 20 feet, watching him stride vigorously around the circle and yell at everybody that if they didn't think he was good enough, he could just go home and practice. This went on for a good ten minutes both times, I don't think he played at all, he just liked to yell at people. Hilarious but completely weird.

It"s a cool little amp and Boss makes solid products, but it"s really designed for guitar and vocals. The Roland Cube EX and KC-220 are still a better choice for keyboard - with proper L/R inputs. I guess that"s how they dropped the price on the Boss by taking out the keyboard inputs :(

Yeah, have to agree. I used the Street Cube EX for 5 years?, and thought it was great- lots of mixer onboard, and a surprising amount of volume and bass oomph for a lightweight amp that can run off of AA batteries. But as a keyboard amp it just didn't have enough juice, and the Cube Street 2 is 10 watts stereo, not 50 watts. The EX also costs about $200 more, $549.

If you can swing it, I love my JBL Eon One Compact, $550? More bass and volume than the Cube EX , and loads of features I absolutely love: being able to mix all 4 channels from your smartphone/tablet, such a killer feature for the performer or even at home. 4 channels of mixer, with 5 band eq on 3 of those channels. Decent reverb, delay and chorus. Lithium ion battery you just plug into the wall, no batteries to pull out. BT audio. Higher fidelity than the Roland (I'm guessing here, had no problem with the Roland, but I don't have one any longer to do a comparison).

The Cube Street 2 is geared towards guitars and vocals. Sounds pretty cool with all the looping and vocal fx.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

we should be making harder for people to busk, not easier.

When they start breeding you can quickly end up with a nasty urban blight.

Apart from the jokes, isn't busking regulated in the US? Here in EU it's normally very controlled, at least in major towns and tourist places/events. Buskers have to ask (and pay) for a permit from the municipality, which will allow them to perform in a certain place at a certain time. Just going into a town square and starting to play is a sure way to get you a fine for public disturbance and abusive occupation of public land.

Busking spots are well-defined and can usually be occupied only for 1 or 2 hours, then the artist has to tear down and leave the spot to the next act in the schedule.

Sometimes it's actually more regulated than performing in a club, where people can basically do whatever the owner will allow them. And actually, many buskers are definitely more professional than the average club musician...

'There is another'

Even more micro is the 3watt blackstar fly3 and its extension the 103. as they say, and I agree...this is not a toy.

amazing little guy!

And I have the blackstar "super" fly and extension cab... the big brother to the fly.