Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need a 73 SW

Gotta get rid of the Grandstage 73 for something with good sounds and semi weighted. Arthritis is getting worse. I have an skpro61 on top, so I"m good for organ. I"m not in love with its APs and, even if I was, I bought it too long ago to exchange for a 73 key version. So I"m hoping to get enough trade in value or sell the grandstage to keep a 73 key semi weighted solution with $100-$200. Any suggestions?

I"m not a fan of the Nord semi weighted action. Just throwing that out there.

Tia

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vox Continental 73 has a soundset that is smaller but similar to that of the Grandstage (using the same Kronos-based sound engines), and it has an excellent action for those who must play pianos from a non-hammer action. The biggest thing you'd lose in going from a Grandstage to a Vox Continental is probably split flexibility.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Vox Continental 73 has a soundset that is smaller but similar to that of the Grandstage (using the same Kronos-based sound engines), and it has an excellent action for those who must play pianos from a non-hammer action. The biggest thing you'd lose in going from a Grandstage to a Vox Continental is probably split flexibility.

Think I could trade in or sell the grandstage to get me within $100-$200 of the vox? Which APs does it have? I like the italian from the grandstage, but beggars can't be choosers, so I'd be flexible. I'm assuming the EPs are pretty much the same as the grandstage, which are great.

Thanks!!

Roland VR-730 has acoustic piano, EP and synth sounds in addition to its organ engine and is only $1,649.99.

73-note waterfall keybed with semi-weighted action for legit organ and EP playing feel

Dedicated panel sections give you immediate access to organ, piano, and synth sounds

Vintage electric pianos and rich acoustic grand pianos

Broad selection of SuperNATURAL synth sounds, from vintage classics to modern must-haves

Onboard sound library expandable with free downloads from Roland's Axial website

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Roland VR-730 has acoustic piano, EP and synth sounds in addition to its organ engine and is only $1,649.99.

73-note waterfall keybed with semi-weighted action for legit organ and EP playing feel

Dedicated panel sections give you immediate access to organ, piano, and synth sounds

Vintage electric pianos and rich acoustic grand pianos

Broad selection of SuperNATURAL synth sounds, from vintage classics to modern must-haves

Onboard sound library expandable with free downloads from Roland's Axial website

What are your thoughts on the action and sounds vs something like the Vox Continental?

Have you checked out a Yamaha CP73? Not SW, but lighter than RH3 and those Yamaha sounds.

I haven"t. How much lighter? The korg rh3 is pretty darn heavy

I"ve played that action at a retailer and thought it was somewhere in between a SW and an RH3. I"ve owned the GrandStage and really loved the action, so if you like the sounds as much as me, and if you need semi-weighted, I"d also advise the Vox. I don"t think you can go wrong there.

Here for the gear.

Think I could trade in or sell the grandstage to get me within $100-$200 of the vox?

I don't know how the $ would work out, it also depends on where you are. In the U.S., brand new, the Vox is only $100 cheaper than the Grandstage; in Europe the Vox is $400 cheaper than the Grandstage. So the relative used values would presumably differ as well. Check ebay and Reveb's "sold items" listings to get an idea of what you could sell the grandstage for and what you might be able to find a vox for where you are.

Which APs does it have? I like the italian from the grandstage, but beggars can't be choosers, so I'd be flexible.

They don't use the same patch names for the Vox, but one of the grands sounds like it's the German Grand. I don't know what the other is, but it doesn't sound like it's the Japanese or Berlin, so you may be in luck.

I'm assuming the EPs are pretty much the same as the grandstage, which are great.

Although based on the same Kronos EP engine, the Vox has an advantage because of the built-in tube.

What are your thoughts on the {VR-730} action and sounds vs something like the Vox Continental?

From what I've read, the VR-730 uses a Fatar TP-8O action that is either identical feeling or at least similar feeling to the Nords that you don't like. Sounds comparison would vary with which sounds you're comparing. For example, I'd say the Roland has a better tonewheel organ emulation, but the Vox has better EPs.

If you're looking for something cheaper than the Vox, a Kurzweil SP6-7 could be a possibility, it's another 7x-key semi-weighted that I consider better than most for piano playing. Unlike the Vox, it's got above average MIDI functionality, so it would also be better equipped to drive sounds from an attached iPhone/iPad or whatever.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Not sure about the prices, but I would think Yamaha MODX7, Korg Nautilus 73 and Kurzweil PC4-7 are the ones to look at. Also, it's not the latest technology, but the Roland FA-07 has a nice action for this request and is still in the current product lifecycle.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Scott, how would you say the sounds on sp6-7, eps aps and strings/pads compare to Vox?

I've played the PC4, not the SP6, so I can't really compare, because even though I think all the SP6 sounds are in the PC4, I don't know whether or not my favorite PC4 sounds are in the SP6. My *guess* would be that piano would be comparable, EP would be stronger on Vox, strings would be stronger on Kurz. Kurz is way more versatile overall, in terms of not just the MIDI stuff I mentioned (which becomes a good way to enhance any areas where you wish its sounds were stronger), but also in terms of splits/layers, and the editability of the sounds (via computer). Vox gives you more real-time controls, and an action that feels more consistent from the front to the back of the key.

Concur, the VC73 is a good choice. Bear in mind it has no screen, nor ModWheel (does have PitchBend); if you need to call up a lot of random patch changes at gigs, you may need to make a cheat sheet.

Roland Juno DS 76 has a very pleasing SW bed, IMHO. Much lighter, (and cheaper) of course. Has a screen, and a Mod/PitchStick. But it's also 5" wider than the VC73, if size matters.

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

What are you hoping to get for the Grandstage 73?

Gonna try to price it for a quick sale. Prob ~$1400. I'll probably put it in the garage sale and reverb. i just gotta take pics. It's in perfect condition and updated.

Gonna try to price it for a quick sale. Prob ~$1400. I'll probably put it in the garage sale and reverb. i just gotta take pics. It's in perfect condition and updated.

That's a very good price. I sold mine for $1850 CAD so that would be around $1500 in USD (I would have kept it but a Kronos showed up that I couldn't resist).

Here for the gear.

That's a very good price. I sold mine for $1850 CAD so that would be around $1500 in USD (I would have kept it but a Kronos showed up that I couldn't resist).

I wouldn"t sell it except for the psoriatic arthritis issue. It's not a huge sacrifice since I didn't learn to play on a piano anyway. I learned on a Yamaha PSR. I don't need a weighted action as long as I can get dynamics from an sw.

I'll definitely miss the talkbox effect on the Grandstage though. Hopefully I can find an iOS thing close to it.

Don't know any thing about Vox but have always liked Yamaha SW and synth actions, very playable.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

the Forte 7 has the TP40L (L = Light) weighted action. I believe that you will find the action to be OK even with the arthritis. The PC4 has a new SW Medeli action which is also nice. Pianos on both are more than acceptable and at least as good if not better than

the Grandstage pianos.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band