Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

At last, the Fantom update we have been waiting for.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really nice addition to Fantom. I definitely enjoy these updates and it's been a good year for the advancement of this platform.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Unfortunately it only has 8 sliders to control 9 drawbars. Unacceptable.

No, there is a 9th slider next to the 8 that controls the USB levels and they are all in a row. That is the 9th drawbar in the organ model.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

From the demo, I think this organ/rotary/overdrive isn't even VR-09 calibre... but still a whole lot better than nothing. The dedicated screens and knob mapping is nice... I wonder how amenable it is to using those same facilities to control a VST/iOS based organ.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

This should have been in there from the start...same thing with multisampling.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I hate how often I have to say "it'll sound ok with a vent". Good addition, though. Fantom is probably the most full-featured flagship of the big guys right now...maybe. Kronos still kicks ass 10 years later.

On a side note, is Ed Diaz back with Roland now, or was that him working for Sweetwater?

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

I hate how often I have to say "it'll sound ok with a vent".
At least it has aux outputs that make it practical to do that.

Cheers, Mike

Thanks for the info, that was my next question. :thu:

Resisting temptation to pull out credit card. I"ve landed some great deals at Gearfest.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I suppose if I'm heavily invested in Fantom (or want to be), it's a better clone that it was. I didn't care for the sounds, nor the leslie. Maybe you can do more with it than what this person is showing, but .... ???

BTW, the best benchmark I've found (that is not an actual physical organ and leslie) is the Hammond B-3X on iPad from IK Multimedia. Do not spend any time with it on headphones, as it will make all your other clone instruments sound much worse. No, it does not need a vent to sound good. It makes the vent sound bad.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I hate how often I have to say "it'll sound ok with a vent". Good addition, though. Fantom is probably the most full-featured flagship of the big guys right now...maybe. Kronos still kicks ass 10 years later.

On a side note, is Ed Diaz back with Roland now, or was that him working for Sweetwater?

Ed's been back with Roland for a few months now. His 'break' from Roland was rather short-lived, after the massive protest they received as a result... :laugh:

This tonewheel model announcement is very good news; been waiting for it since September, 2019. From the video I can hear the issue with the rotary sim; not suprising, as I think Roland is using one of the original, factory effects. An updated sim to match the new organ model would be helpful. Don't have a Vent, but did use my Lester K on the RD-2000's organ model for an 'afterthought' part on a local session. The overall sound was surprisingly good.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!