Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electric Grand Piano Recommendations

Hi all, does anyone have any recommendations for best sounding/looking electric grand pianos? Restaurant in DC asked me to pick one out for them to purchase to have some live solo "piano" in their joint. It needs to have internal speakers, aesthetics are important to them of course so it should look nice, I used to do some restaurant gigs a few years ago where they had a Roland that was pretty decent but don't remember the model. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Music.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes a Clavinova or a slab DP in a shell (which might wind up being a little more affordable â not sure how the internal speakers fit into that scenario though). Looks like the Clavinovas start in the mid-four figures. After the last year & a half, is there really a restaurant ready to drop this kind of coin on a piano? Color me surprised, pleasantly.

Hi all, does anyone have any recommendations for best sounding/looking electric grand pianos? Restaurant in DC asked me to pick one out for them to purchase to have some live solo "piano" in their joint. It needs to have internal speakers, aesthetics are important to them of course so it should look nice, I used to do some restaurant gigs a few years ago where they had a Roland that was pretty decent but don't remember the model.

I'm guessing the Roland was probably this one (discontinued): https://www.roland.com/us/products/v-piano_grand/

Best today is probably Yamaha AvantGrand N3X.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Once again this forum shows its skills at spending other people's money! I would be shocked to know about a restaurant that cares about having the "BEST" piano. They probably want it to look good and sound "good enough." Of course I'd be happy to see an N3X on a gig. Show me the restaurant that would drop ~$22K for an N3X, I'll wait.

This might be more their idea!

(OK that was a joke - please don't recommend this one)!

Timely topic for me, as I"m in the process of selling my never-played Kawai KG-2 and replace it with a digital home instrument. I"ve pretty much decided on a Kawai Novus NV10 over the Yamaha Avant Grand for a variety of reasons, none of which would apply to a restaurant that might only require one or two piano sounds in a nice case.

Here for the gear.

I'm with Reeze on this one... what we think and judge an instrument by, and what a restaurant wants and is willing to spend are likely different. Any name brand digital grand (Yamaha and Roland most likely) is likely to satisfy their needs, without it having to be the top-of-the-line, real wooden key action instrument. At an average starting price of $5k I think they're already gonna be surprised, so hiking the cost up to around 9k is probably more than they would want to spend. But what do I know... I'm just assuming here.

:idk:

Jerry

If they literally want it to look like a grand piano, their options are limited and expensive, unless maybe you go with the empty shell idea. But I don't think those shells are designed for internal amplification, another complication.

I would not assume an upscale restaurant would not have the budget to do this right. It wasn't long ago when lots of venues were buying actual grand pianos, which cost more than the things that are making people in this thread wince.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Maybe a restauranteur that is interested in a piano bar knows what an acoustic grand would cost, a little something about live music, and what the look of a beautiful instrument does for the aesthetic of the room. And they must already have an idea of what piano players get for the night. So maybe he/she would be pleasantly surprised at the cost of a hybrid piano? One can dream. ;)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

That is EXACTLY the situation, the manager is a music lover and wants to find the best, most practical instrument. She initially wanted a real acoustic but decided she didn't want to have to deal with tuning/maintenance, my hat off to her for wanting to put something decent in there.
Music.

How about this from Yamaha?

Yamaha Clavinova CLP-725 Digital Piano - Matte Black

Kraft Music has it for $1999. Considering the sound and the features, its a bargain. This piano comes with a 50 watt amp and two good sized speakers too. Yamaha piano actions are excellent.

It has an excellent Piano sound, plus it can record and play back recordings of songs worth saving. I've owned both Yamaha and Roland digital pianos. Yamaha LASTS, best quality.

https://www.kraftmusic.com/yamaha-clavinova-clp-725-digital-piano-matte-black.html?utm_source=adcenter&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=bing+shopping&utm_content=yam-clp725b&msclkid=c5a52f57f8cc16917a054f824e609442

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

That is EXACTLY the situation, the manager is a music lover and wants to find the best, most practical instrument. She initially wanted a real acoustic but decided she didn't want to have to deal with tuning/maintenance, my hat off to her for wanting to put something decent in there.

The list just got quite short as a result. It should look, play and sound like a real acoustic piano, but without maintenance. Slabs won't work well: appearance, amplification, etc.

Say what you will, but Yamaha nailed it with the AvantGrand. I can't vouch for others as I haven't played them. The Avant Grand is very good at what it does, invokes a baby grand ambience, can fill a room with smooth sound as a real piano does, has a high-end Yamaha acoustic action and feel, very fun to play, etc. Mine has lasted a very long time with zero problems. As always, check out similar alternatives, and never pay retail!!!

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

it's important to them that it's in the body of a grand/baby grand for aesthetics...

The Roland GP690 is the only one in a traditional grand case, from what I"ve been able to find. The Yamaha N3X is shaped like a grand, but has a sleeker, more modern look. Between the two, the Roland is more fully featured and less money, but doesn"t have the true grand action. Sound-wise from what I"ve been able to tell from demos, the Roland still has that digital fleshy tone on the low end but the advantage of modelling is it has a lot more parameters to play with. The Yamaha may be more robust and in the long run may be the better investment, plus in a setting where many pianists may be sharing the duties, it has fewer bells and whistles to mess with and the action should keep the more discerning players happy.

So if I"m the restaurateur and had the budget, I"d go with the Yamaha. At home for the fun aspects, I might like the Roland.

Here for the gear.

it's important to them that it's in the body of a grand/baby grand for aesthetics...

The Roland GP690 is the only one in a traditional grand case, from what I"ve been able to find. The Yamaha N3X is shaped like a grand, but has a sleeker, more modern look. Between the two, the Roland is more fully featured and less money, but doesn"t have the true grand action. Sound-wise from what I"ve been able to tell from demos, the Roland still has that digital fleshy tone on the low end but the advantage of modelling is it has a lot more parameters to play with. The Yamaha may be more robust and in the long run may be the better investment, plus in a setting where many pianists may be sharing the duties, it has fewer bells and whistles to mess with and the action should keep the more discerning players happy.

So if I"m the restaurateur and had the budget, I"d go with the Yamaha. At home for the fun aspects, I might like the Roland.

Awesome thanks for the info!

Music.

A bit more on the Yahama AG.

Yes, the action feels like other Yamaha pianos. The N3 and N3X are essentially the same for your purposes. Yamaha sells them through their network of piano dealers (yes, they still exist), so they are intended to be compared side-by-side with real acoustic pianos. You turn it on, you play it and you can't help but smile. Mine has two acoustic pianos, two eps and a harpsichord. That's about it.

Midi out if you want something else. Add an iPad to the loop if you really want layered pads, etc. but that's not its purpose in life.

There's also a nice loop of pre-recorded classical music that's quite pleasant to listen to, and of course you can load up a memory stick with hours of free midi performances from the web. So it plays itself for free. People who visit assume it's a baby grand, until they get quite close to it and see the speakers where strings should be, and then the questions start. How could this be?

Well, they recorded from four positions, and you can hear the effect as you walk around the room. Again, people with eagle ears can tell the difference, not in a bad way, just that it sounds a bit different than a real acoustic instrument. But you do have to listen closely to discern, and it's hard to put your finger on it. Close your eyes, you're convinced it's the real deal.

Finding them used is not easy as people tend to hang on to them. It's not something you upgrade from to get the better one, it is the better one. Not cheap, better thought of as an instrument for the long haul.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I"ve been playing the original N3 for years now at both a church and school gig. If I have to play a digital piano there is no other that matches it for feel, un-supplemented sound, and looks. They even have a rumble feature in the low end that shakes under your fingers. It"s all very immersive and you easily forget you are playing a digital. The only other model I imagine would come close is the Kawai Novus 10 but I have not had the good fortune to sit at one.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Keep in mind that internal speakers on digital pianos are designed for near field monitoring for the piano player and will not project very well in a club/restaurant setting. Crank it too high and POOF. Even with "50w amplifier".

This would be a plus, and they can be amplified through a house system for dispersion at discretion of management. I can"t count how many restaurant grands I"ve played that are too big for the room, positioned over marble or concrete floors, in front of windows, too close to the tables, people with hearing aids seated too near, where I"ve been asked to 'turn down the piano.'

Here for the gear.