Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

First analog(ue)/VA monosynth?

Asking for a friend... He has an Electro, and wants some monosynth-y goodness in his life. Requirements:

- Cheap (c.$250)

- Full-size keys (not a module)

I recommended he get Animoog on his phone to start with, but I expect he'll want to move on from that.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Cheers, Mike.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's still about $50 over his budget, but I'd seriously suggest he tries a Korg Monologue for himself. I've just bought one and find the keyboard surprisingly playable, and I speak as a classically-trained pianist. It would also sit nicely directly on top of his Electro, weighs nothing and has quite serious sonic heft. Add batteries and he can stick it in a backpack and take it anywhere and practice his synthesis skills.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Behringer MS-1 is currently $299 at Sweetwater, that's probably as close as you get.

If mini-keys are a possibility (which still meets the "not a module" criteria), you could look for a used Yamaha Reface CS or Korg Micro-Korg, you might find one of those a bit below that $299 point.

If he already owns an iPhone or iPad, yes, an app is a good way to go... you could buy a dedicated controller for it (with full size keys) along with the necessary cabling and some apps and be well within budget.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

No preset memories, minikeys and a very personal sound which many people don't like (surely not the "moog sound" which most associate with "synth"), but the Arturia MicroBrute is an awesome semi-modular (with a real patch bay!) with surprising synthesis features for such a tiny and cheap package.

All of these recommendations so far are good, but I recommend that your friend consider buying used. He should go to reverb and enter any of the names above and see what he can afford. If he"s not interested in having a lot of modular patch cable stuff, he should just find an original minibrute.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I second the Korg Monologue. Korg's budget synths never fail to impress and the expandability is endless. I have been enjoying the hell out of my Minilogue XD since Christmas and I feel like I'm just scratching the surface.

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation