Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Viscount Legend Live demo

No the manual is correct - the input is for running other instruments through the Leslie simulator - I've tried running a couple of different sounds from my Stage 2 through the Legend Live - and it sounds really cool! :) great for layering a vintage string pad with the lower manual, as an example. Or play the Nords organ through the Leslie sim of the Legend - it sounds way better than the Nord on it's own. :) So the line input is mono, pre effects, so it's not for connecting an iPad with backing tracks or similar.

Yes, that's correct, but it has been requested as a feature change to disable the effects chain on the audio input.

The design was to be able to use the Leslie and Reverb effects of the legend live on other inputs.

My use case would be more to play along with my iPad -- drum tracks, or learning songs through headphones on the board, which I would want to be a clean signal. I think they may be considering that as a future firmware upgrade to disable it.

Thanks to both for confirming. I really hope they do add the ability to handle both types of routing for the input via firmware update. I would have guessed more people would rather pass through audio from another source than get other instruments into the Leslie, as this is such a single purpose keyboard and most people would be using another device to supplement sounds.

"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No the manual is correct - the input is for running other instruments through the Leslie simulator - I've tried running a couple of different sounds from my Stage 2 through the Legend Live - and it sounds really cool! :) great for layering a vintage string pad with the lower manual, as an example. Or play the Nords organ through the Leslie sim of the Legend - it sounds way better than the Nord on it's own. :) So the line input is mono, pre effects, so it's not for connecting an iPad with backing tracks or similar.

Yes, that's correct, but it has been requested as a feature change to disable the effects chain on the audio input.

The design was to be able to use the Leslie and Reverb effects of the legend live on other inputs.

My use case would be more to play along with my iPad -- drum tracks, or learning songs through headphones on the board, which I would want to be a clean signal. I think they may be considering that as a future firmware upgrade to disable it.

Thanks to both for confirming. I really hope they do add the ability to handle both types of routing for the input via firmware update. I would have guessed more people would rather pass through audio from another source than get other instruments into the Leslie, as this is such a single purpose keyboard and most people would be using another device to supplement sounds.

Yes, we're in the same boat. It really is a beautiful and playable instrument and initial users seem to love the sound and feel.

I think this beats out the DMC-122/Gemini as being more "inspiring" to play (at least for me). However, the Gemini is no slouch and has great sounds. If you can grok all of the setup, MIDI and inconveniences of things not really being lableled on a controller it is a great all-in-one choice on paper.

Everyone seems to love the Viscount Legends so far and are in the honeymoon phase everywhere.

The DMC/Gemini is either love it or hate it.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Can someone tell us about the MIDI specs on the Viscount? Full fledged or limited?

Depends on what you mean by that. Everything is there for it to be used as an organ, both when sending and receiving, but if you want it to be a controller for other instruments: You can't send program change, you can't change the MIDI channels, it only sends (variable) velocity when a manual is set to the Cancel preset, there is no pitch bend or mod wheel, etc.

I hope they will bring out the KeyB-Expander again...

I have too many keys but not enough clones!

;-)))))

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Can someone tell us about the MIDI specs on the Viscount? Full fledged or limited?

Depends on what you mean by that. Everything is there for it to be used as an organ, both when sending and receiving, but if you want it to be a controller for other instruments: You can't send program change, you can't change the MIDI channels, it only sends (variable) velocity when a manual is set to the Cancel preset, there is no pitch bend or mod wheel, etc.

That answers it well, thanks.

• 1 month later...

Elvio confirmed (in facebook) that an expander is in the works!

Not clear when, but ....

:-)))

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

• 3 years later...

Hi guys, just a quick question about the Legend. I've had a SK2 for a long time but basically never used the non-organ sounds, and honestly I think I never will. When I need a do-it-all board for gigging I use my Nord Stage, while the two-manual clonewheel stays at home with its stand and pedalboard. So, I was thinking of switching to a more recennt model for even better authenticity in sound and playing experience.

The obvious choice would be the Legend as it's currently the only one with a 100% faithful layout with reverse-color presets, rocker switches and all (the XK-5 is definitely out of my price range).

I just have a few doubts:

1- is the action really that stiff? I know they're all Fatar TP/8o but I think the SK2 has a decent action, stiffer than a real Hammond but better than Nord's waterfall. How does the Legend compare? (I'm NOT going to change the springs on 122 keys. Not even thinking about that).

2- the flat top looks ideal for putting a second board, small mixer, module etc...except it's not really flat, there's a small step. Is that so bad in real life, or things can still be put on top of it?

3- the half-moon looks HUGE!!! Why did they make it so big? Is it just an aesthetic thing, or does it hinder playing?

4- I know it's silly, but I dearly HATE the look of the wood sides: they are almost white with those huge "Legend" lettering. Did anybody try to remove, paint or exchange them with custom-made ones? Is the process difficult? For reference, I once remove the sides of my SK2 to coat them with DC-fix, and that was really easy because the panels have no structural function, they can be removed without any specific precaution.

Thanks for any comments!

I just got a legend live recently and sold my SK2 so I guess we"re in the same boat.

1. I don"t find the action stiff at all, I"d say it comparable or even better than the SK2. No stiffness in the model I use. I did get a shop model so perhaps it was broken in a little? Some people on here have talked about that and it made me wary as I couldn"t demo one before buying so I took a risk but I love it. No problem playing single lines, squabbling etc.

2. I don"t notice the step to be honest. I may use a small synth on top down the line or maybe just an iPad for some variety but the reason I sold the sk2 was I just don"t use the extra sounds. If I brought the sk2 to a gig then all I ever used was the organ.

3. I like the half moon, it"s a little longer and more squared off than the sk2 but I find it more sturdy.

4. The side panels are a bone of contention for some. I didn"t really like them at first but they"ve grown on me. I was going to get a set of side panels in American Oak for the sk2 but the legend is close enough for the moment. However the side panels are connected to the whole chassis. I did a lot of research online and there"s a lot of info on Facebook groups. I think it can be taken apart but you"ll be looking at taking the whole machine apart and it looks like major brain surgery. I"m getting a custom B3 style stand made up in a similar colour in the coming weeks so I might experiment with staining an unseen section of stand and side panels and see how that goes. I plan to post some pics once the stand arrives but I"ll have a look at the staining of it too and if it"s successful I"ll post that too.

By the way have a look at Woodys piano shack review of the legend as it"s very helpful. He talks about a small wooden/metal? panel between the upper and lower manual that"s a little on the sharp side so you"d want to be careful when glissing between manuals. But you can replace it easily with something from the local wood shop or perhaps smooth it down a little with sandpaper.

Hope this helps.

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

Mag P2. faithful reproduction of the layout. Faithful reproduction of the sound. Hardware based, not software based. I believe it comes with an optional Mini-Vent built in, or you can use its own excellent leslie.

https://www.magorgans.com/?page_id=691

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Mag P2. faithful reproduction of the layout. Faithful reproduction of the sound. Hardware based, not software based. I believe it comes with an optional Mini-Vent built in, or you can use its own excellent leslie.

https://www.magorgans.com/?page_id=691

MAG organs are good design in respect of original Hammond haptics and on basis of Keyboardpartner HX3,- but w/ HX3.5 you don´t need a Neo Instruments Ventilator anymore !

UHL organ manufacturer gave up using on-board Vent since HX3.5 w/ CAM Rotor was released !

A.C.

Thanks for the inputs! The MAG organs look great, but I'm not totally convinced. Apart from the -ugh- BLUE-GREEN sides (and I thought the SK2's burgundy was awful!), they cost minimum 1000 more than the Legend (even more for customizations), and are a tiny boutique company with little-known track record, versus a major manufacturer like Viscount. Also, I'm in Italy so I guess that should any issue happen, support would be much better with Viscount.

I have never found the action to be stiff on my Legend Live and I think I prefer it to the TP-8O action in my Nord Stage 3 Compact. However, I was at rehearsal with my reggae band last week and my bandmate has a Mojo 61 and I did instantly bond with the action on that since I had never played one. I was never unhappy or have never had anything negative to say about the action on the Legend Live but the Mojo 61 sure felt sweet to me for the first time.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

1. My Legend Live action is stiffer than any of my B-3s or my Mojos. Probably more comparable to an early BV console. It doesn't make it unplayable by any means, but not as effortless as I'm used to.

2. Rubber feat on your top board or just laying a piece of shelving rubber will eliminate any step problem.

3. The Live doesn't have an external leslie switch box but it's tucked in to the lower left panel. Superior design IMO.

4. As others have said, the wood sides are integral parts of the chassis and can not be easily popped off.

If anyone is interested, I'm putting my Live up for sale. I've got too many organs. Lightly used and never gigged, with soft rolling case.

Moe

---

Thanks for the inputs! The MAG organs look great, but I'm not totally convinced. Apart from the -ugh- BLUE-GREEN sides (and I thought the SK2's burgundy was awful!), they cost minimum 1000 more than the Legend (even more for customizations), and are a tiny boutique company with little-known track record, versus a major manufacturer like Viscount. Also, I'm in Italy so I guess that should any issue happen, support would be much better with Viscount.

(Caveat: I am a MAG Organs endorser/ambassador, so apply however many grains of salt you feel are appropriate to my comments.)

The blue side panels on the MAG organs are optional (but I do like them). You can choose more traditional colors.

MAG is definitely a boutique company, but I have had my MAG for about a year and a half and have had exactly zero issues with it. Each one is hand built and they feel rock solid. Also, they are very customizable, so you can choose options you want or need and leave off those you don't (internal Ventilator, 11-pin, effects loop, etc.) I am an active member of many of the clonewheel forums, including ones dedicated to the MAG and the HX3 and I have not seen any complaints about the quality of MAG organs or about them breaking down.

Regarding the feel of the keyboard, MAG offers you the option of the standard Fatar TP8O springs (which is what The Legend uses (to the best of my knowledge and playing experience with it - I did own one)) and the lighter springs that are used in the Crumar Mojo and the Numa 2. I definitely prefer the lighter action.

Regarding the price, they are definitely more expensive than the Legend and Mojo, but they are less than the single manual XK5.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

I used to have a Hammond B3 and Leslie 122, then a Hammond XK3c and XK1c, then a Viscount Legend Solo. I now have a MAG C2 (with options including walnut side panels, light keyboard springs, and inbuilt Mini Vent). The MAG is hands down the best clonewheel I have played. The HX3 engine sounds very authentic and is very customizable, and Max's build quality and personal service are exemplary.

1. God yes. Legend action, by organ standards, is stiffer than a very stiff thing. I mean, take the first REALLY STIFF thing that comes into your mind, and imagine it being even more stiff. That's what she said, anyway.

Seriously though, I actually sent mine back because I couldn't get on with the action so much, and got a Hammond SKX instead, which is a much better action. I feel you about how hard it is to quantify these things, and I kept holding onto it thinking "nah, I must be imagining it - it can't REALLY be that much of a problem" and trying to talk myself into it. But eventually I realised I was never going to be happy playing it. Moment I got the Hammond I knew I'd done the right thing. I'm not enough of a Hammond afficionado to compare them on all the finer points of sound, tweakability etc; they both sound great to me. But I can just sit down and play the Hammond and not constantly feel like I'm fighting against it.

I make that two votes (Mate and me) for "stiff", and two (Dockeys and jeffinpghpa) for "not stiff". How? Who knows. Maybe it does loosen up over time and they were playing older models. Maybe there was a change in manufacturing process at some point? Maybe people just have different expectations. But as you're in Italy, the obvious thing would be to find somewhere you could try one. Easier for you to do than most of us, and at the very least I'd say the action is enough of an unknown quantity that you'll want to satisfy yourself regarding it before parting with your money. Or do as I did and buy from a big retailer with good returns policy, be careful with it and send it back if you don't like the action.

There"s nothing stiff about a Legend"s action. Out of the box, Nord Electro"s and Hammond SK2 are way stiffer.

My Legend took about 5 gigs to get that played in feeling and it"s been consistent ever since.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Over the years I"ve owned several Clone-wheel Organs, including the HAMMOND XK-2 and SK2 (Dual-Manual Keyboard), the ROLAND VK-8 and the KORG CX3. Presently I am the proud Owner of a VISCOUNT LEGEND LIVE ('Joey DeFrancesco Signature Edition" Organ) and I couldn"t be happier.

The keyboard action feels fantastic to me. The Sound, Control layout and even the on-board Effects (Leslie Simulation, Overdrive, Chorus, Reverb, etc.) are among the best that I"ve ever personally experienced. At this point I can honestly say that my own personal quest for finding the perfect, portable HAMMOND B-3 substitute has come to an end. I couldn"t imagine finding something that I like more than my VISCOUNT LEGEND LIVE.

(Caveat: I am a MAG Organs endorser/ambassador, so apply however many grains of salt you feel are appropriate to my comments.)

The blue side panels on the MAG organs are optional (but I do like them). You can choose more traditional colors.

MAG is definitely a boutique company, but I have had my MAG for about a year and a half and have had exactly zero issues with it. Each one is hand built and they feel rock solid. Also, they are very customizable, so you can choose options you want or need and leave off those you don't (internal Ventilator, 11-pin, effects loop, etc.) I am an active member of many of the clonewheel forums, including ones dedicated to the MAG and the HX3 and I have not seen any complaints about the quality of MAG organs or about them breaking down.

Regarding the feel of the keyboard, MAG offers you the option of the standard Fatar TP8O springs (which is what The Legend uses (to the best of my knowledge and playing experience with it - I did own one)) and the lighter springs that are used in the Crumar Mojo and the Numa 2. I definitely prefer the lighter action.

Regarding the price, they are definitely more expensive than the Legend and Mojo, but they are less than the single manual XK5.

Thanks a lot for all the detailed info !

Because of the former design of MAG website, I was always a bit sceptical because of the purple and blue side panels, built-in Vent and some other minor details.

I´ve just recognized they have a detailed FAQ now too.

Leaves 2 questions:

1.) Does MAG already use the latest HX3 engine w/ "CaM Rotor" rotary speaker sim (making MiniVent2 obsolete)

2.) What´s the standard finish and color of MAG P-2 side panels ?

The price is right IMO,- a stock UHL X4-2 CAM also costs EUR 3.490,- (incl. VAT) and comes w/ less features.

:)

A.C.

Thanks for the many inputs!

It looks like I must forget to DIY a couple of decent B3-like wood sides on the Legend, alas!

Another (maybe silly) question: does the "V" in the center of the music stand bother you? It looks like a pretty perplexing design choice, like music books will neatly fold in the middle and fall down the back of the instrument...

Thanks also for the first-hand reports about the MAG organs, there's not much info online and their website is also not very informative. I just noticed from the user manual that the MAGs come with extra sounds too, like the SK series?

Never heard anything about that...

1.) Does MAG already use the latest HX3 engine w/ "CaM Rotor" rotary speaker sim (making MiniVent2 obsolete)

2.) What´s the standard finish and color of MAG P-2 side panels ?

The HX3 engine in the MAG organs has the latest hardware (now HX3.5), and the firmware can be customized and updated using a PC with the free editor software.

The side panels are available in "MAG light blue", real maple or walnut, or other colours and finishes as an option.

I just noticed from the user manual that the MAGs come with extra sounds too, like the SK series?

The HX3 engine in the MAG organs includes a set of basic GM sounds, which can be stored/recalled via the preset buttons.

The HX3 engine in the MAG organs has the latest hardware (now HX3.5), and the firmware can be customized and updated using a PC with the free editor software.

The side panels are available in "MAG light blue", real maple or walnut, or other colours and finishes as an option.

I just noticed from the user manual that the MAGs come with extra sounds too, like the SK series?

The HX3 engine in the MAG organs includes a set of basic GM sounds, which can be stored/recalled via the preset buttons.

Thankyou,- walnut would be my choice.

Latest HX3.5 is what I´d want and the extra GM sounds seem to be what´s originally optional when ordering a HX3 module @Keyboardpartner,- similar to optional licences for combo organs, H100 and gimmicks like Wersi phasing rotor etc..

Are tthe GM sounds usable at all ?

I have a final question in regards of signal routing.

WHEN the FX insert loop ( I guess it´s mono) is installed,- is that working "only" pre-rotary sim (int. or MiniVent2) or is it also working w/ the organ´s "direct out" w/ a tube amp already connected ?

Is it possible to switch alternately between "Leslie" and "non Leslie" amplification on the fly, but using same FX (p.ex. wah, phasor, ringmod) inserted in the FX loop ?

A.C.

Are the GM sounds usable at all ?

WHEN the FX insert loop ( I guess it´s mono) is installed,- is that working "only" pre-rotary sim (int. or MiniVent2) or is it also working w/ the organ´s "direct out" w/ a tube amp already connected?

Is it possible to switch alternately between "Leslie" and "non Leslie" amplification on the fly, but using same FX (p.ex. wah, phasor, ringmod) inserted in the FX loop?

The MAG is primarily an organ, not an all-in-one keyboard. The basic GM sounds are labelled as "extra sounds" and are usable but are not on the same level as the organ. For piano and other sounds, I use a separate keyboard..

On mine, the effects loop is before the Mini Vent and remains active whether the Mini Vent is switched in or out, but the "Organ direct" output is not affected by the effects loop. However, as the brand name suggests ("MAG Custom Organs"), if you want a special configuration, you can ask max@magorgans.com, and he will let you know if it can be done.

The MAG is primarily an organ, not an all-in-one keyboard. The basic GM sounds are labelled as "extra sounds" and are usable but are not on the same level as the organ. For piano and other sounds, I use a separate keyboard..

Yes,- it was just only a question because I can imagine the GM sounds aren´t very high quality.

Are they user-assignable to upper or lower manual ?

On mine, the effects loop is before the Mini Vent and remains active whether the Mini Vent is switched in or out, but the "Organ direct" output is not affected by the effects loop.

O.k., that´s what I expected and is the same fx-insert configuration like on the Viscount Legend.

However, as the brand name suggests ("MAG Custom Organs"), if you want a special configuration, you can ask max@magorgans.com, and he will let you know if it can be done.

I´ll contact him anyway,- but it´s also good to have some info before.

There´s another option too ...

Not buying a tube amp,- buy a Kemper modelling amp coming w/ it´s own FX instead and feed it w/ the direct out.

A.C.

Yes, the GM sounds can be assigned to upper and lower manuals, and pedals.

excellent ... thx !

Some strings, moderate level and layered w/ the lower manual for p. ex. "Bumpin´ on Sunset" or such should work.

A.C.