Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT:In Little Rock; the unexpected connection of music

My wife and I are on our first post-COVID vacation. We spent the day at Moss Mountain Farm (for PBS P Allen Smith fans) and then at local Breweries (shout out to Flyway which was excellent). On the way back to our B&B we drove by Little Rock Central High School, site of the famous Little Rock 9 incident, which was just a few blocks away. Quite a sobering sight. I needed a walk to get my blood sugar down (type 1 diabetes) and as usual put on my headphones and Spotifyâ¦with the intention of playing something 'appropriate' such as Sly or Public Enemy or Kendrick. But for some damn reason I put on Fragile by Yes ..about the whitest thing I could have chosen and immediately started to cryâ¦so inventive and and adventurous for the time. I realized it"s the same human spirit as Kendrick and Sly andâ¦. Sorry for the sentimentality but it just hit it me hard.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting Sam. It's funny how music affects people.

I don't tend to get emotional, but I watched a Stevie Wonder tribute a while ago - someone (I can't remember who) sang "Isn't She Lovely", and halfway through announced:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the inspiration fo this song: Aisha Morris". The song was written about her as a baby. I welled up involuntarily. That very rarely happens to me.

Cheers, Mike.

I don't tend to get emotional, but I watched a Stevie Wonder tribute a while ago - someone (I can't remember who) sang "Isn't She Lovely", and halfway through announced:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the inspiration fo this song: Aisha Morris". The song was written about her as a baby. I welled up involuntarily. That very rarely happens to me.

Cheers, Mike.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the inspiration of this song: Aisha Morris". The song was written about her as a baby. I welled up involuntarily. That very rarely happens to me.

Cheers, Mike.

At risk of going off on a tangent on the original post, but your comment reminded of me one song - one that's always touched me about parent-kid relationship was Rod Stewart's "Forever Young" . The last verse is perfect. I remember reading he wrote specifically with his younger kids in mind, as he had missed a lot of the younger years of his older kids because of touring. I'm fortunate that I'm at a point in my career, financially, and most important, have my priorities straight that I can always put my daughter first.

I've always felt a strong emotional connection to specific pieces of music - I have a full repertoire of songs that trigger in me memories of specific moments in time and/or people that impacted me in my life.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

OT, but just for clarification, "Forever Young" was initially written by Bob Dylan in 1973. When Rod Stewart "wrote" his version in 1988, he sent to to Bob Dylan before the songs release. Bob said "OK, fine, I'll just take songwriting credit and a percentage of the royalities".

Bob is a businessman also, he knew the Rod Stewart version would be a hit.

:nopity: