Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

80s Yamaha Obsession

Hi Everyone!

My name is Matt Baxley, aka Moot Booxle, and I am obsessed with 80s Yamaha gear. Anything made between 1982-1994 or so is fair game. There is not too much beyond the 'black box' era that I find extremely exciting, but there are exceptions!

It would be impossible for me to explain my rabid obsession with this particular vintage and brand of gear without telling my life story. I"ll spare you from that in this thread!

I could list my collection of Yamaha gear, but that also seems superfluous in this post.

I have 16 synths, 5 drum machines, a large electronic drum kit, 3 sequencers, two digital mixers, all the MIDI accessories...tons of things, all Yamaha!

It is a complete obsession that I cannot explain. Since December 2020 these things have begun to show up in my life without any action on my part. I am a Yamaha magnet!

Is anyone else here similarly afflicted?

It all started with my friend randomly offering to sell me a pair of DX7-IIDs for cheap, me reconnecting with that machine in a huge way (I think it"s wonderful! The DX7-IIFD was my first 'pro' keyboard when I was 12 and I was completely obsessed with learning FM synthesis, despite my inability to comprehend maths) .

This stuff has been in my life since 1988 when I was 5. I"ve gone through many phases of Yamaha FM fandom but I"ve never gone to such lengths as I have this year!

I built an entire second studio that consists almost entirely of vintage Yamaha!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah. I've been a Yamaha "fanboy" since the 80's and once considered doing something similar, but I came to my senses :laugh:

There's definitely something about the "black boxes" aesthetic that I still love. The RX drum machines, the CX5M computer, the QX sequencers, the various MIDI boxes and the DX line, obviously. All the rack modules: the TX16W sampler, TX802, TX816, the SPX effect units etc. etc.

Post some photos / Instagram links?

Yamaha 80s gear is great, built like tanks and works ´til today.

This alone is worth keeping and doin´ with it what it was made for.

KX76, KX5 (black), DX7mkIIFD, TX816 and TG77 are still in my arsenal.

QX-1 too,- but not much use since a long time and even it´s one of the tightest MIDI sequenzers ever made.

Sold my KX88 too early which I regret today.

I also kept one of the D-1500 digital modulation delays and a REV7 reverb.

You should also join Groups I/O > YamahaDX

:)

A.C.

I think the attractiveness continues to this day.

The Montage is an unbelievable beast. It's equal parts musical instrument and test instrument.

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

At one time or another, I've owned a DX100, V50, DX11 (I wanted a V2 but oh well), SY22, SY35, TG33, SY77, and probably a couple of other things that I'm forgetting. Didn't keep any of them except the TG33, which I have on a shelf right now.

I was never hugely into FM programming per se, and had a quirky love for non-Yamaha FM stuff like the Korg DS-8 / 707 and especially the Simmons SDE, which obviously was designed by aliens. I should find another one.

My fave Yamaha gear wasn't synths, though. My tiny home studio when I was just getting started had a SPX90 and a KM802 that I relied on heavily, and my current radio broadcast rig relies on an AG06, which is the best thing ever, I just wish it had 2 more inputs, blah.

I occasionally ponder missed opportunities, like the DX1 for $1000, but it never pays to dwell on the past.

mike

Also: MATT BAXLEY YOU UTTER POTATO YOU NEVER CALL YOU NEVER WRITE I HAVE BEEN WORRIED SICK WOULD IT KILL YOU TO EMAIL ONCE IN A WHILE?

...just sayin'.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Not a rabid Yamaha fanboy by choice, but I've owned a fair share of Yamaha products over the years. Their build quality was always top notch.

None of them ever failed me.

DX7

DX7IID

TX81Z

QX5

TX802

CP30

AN1X

MOTIF ES Rack

TX7

GC2020B

O1V

HS80M

I've only felt drawn to FM up to a certain point, but I had an SPX90 and one of their lesser effects. The name escapes me at the moment, but the little feller was a solid performer, especially in series with lesser devices. OTOH, the SPX grabbed my synth playing by the ear and dragged it further up the hill than it would have gone alone. Both were real tanks. White Room forever!

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

Yep agree - the best ever keyboards I've owned (from a gigging viewpoint) have been the S70xs and the MODX7 I use now. I bought a DX7 a year or so ago but just based on room I think I'll sell it.

Matt,

Welcome, what you've acquired is a good start ! :cheers:

Manny

People assume timbre is a strict progression of input to harmonics, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timbrally-wimbrally... stuff

Cheers everyone!

I see that I am in good company here!

My instagram @mootbooxle has quite a few pics and videos of my Yamaha stuff.

I have been keeping a list, so here"s the list!

YAMAHA FEVER

KEYS/SYNTH:

KX88 (MIDI Master Keyboard)

KX76 (MIDI Master Keyboard)

W5 (AWM)

DX7-IID (6-OP FM) x2

DX11 (4-OP FM)

FB-01 (in RFB-01 rack) (4-OP FM) x2

TX81Z (4-OP FM rack)

PSS-140 (2-OP FM)

PSS-470 (2-OP FM)

PSS-480 (2-OP FM)

PSS-680 (2-OP FM)

PSR-90 (dual 2-OP FM)

X4500 (AKA PSR-4500) (2-OP FM + 12-bit AWM)

PSR-6300 (dual 2-OP FM)

VSS-200 (2-OP FM and Sampling) (MIDI in mod)

DRUMS:

RX11 Drum Machine

RX8 Drum Machine

DD-14 Drums

DD-11 Drums

DD-5 Drums

DTS70 Drum Trigger System

DTXtreme Drum Rack

TP65 Single-Zone Pad (x3)

TP80S Dual-Zone Pad (x6)

ACCESSORIES:

RAM4 (x3)

RAM5

DX7-II ROM

FC4 (x2)

FC5 (x2)

FC7 (x4)

BC1

MIDI TOOLS:

YMM2 MIDI Merge Box (x2)

YME8 MIDI Expander

MFC1 MIDI Foot Controller

MCS2 MIDI Control Station

MJC8 MIDI Junction Controller

MEP4 MIDI Event Processor

MT100 4-track cassette recorder

QX1 Sequencer

QX21 Sequencer

QY20 Sequencer

REV7 Reverb

DMP7 Digital Mixing Processor (x2)

BB450 Bass Guitar

A3R Acoustic Guitar

It"s just beyond ridiculous! There is something that compels me to keep searching and building the ultimate vintage Yamaha studio.

This gear is built so solidly and much of it is available for cheap in good condition. It all works so beautifully together!

Also: MATT BAXLEY YOU UTTER POTATO YOU NEVER CALL YOU NEVER WRITE I HAVE BEEN WORRIED SICK WOULD IT KILL YOU TO EMAIL ONCE IN A WHILE?

...just sayin'.

Greetings Mike! I have no good excuses other than the fact that 2020 was a year of mourning and depression and 2021 so far has been one of rapid growth! It has also been the busiest time in my life; certainly the busiest I"ve ever been since going full-time with music 13 years ago!

I"ve just become increasingly hermit-like in recent years! I do miss engaging with my high-level musical friends which is one reason I decided to post here for a change...

It"s sure nice to be missed :)

I noticed that you're perhaps missing the elusive ADP1 accessory? I actually had one (in the original box!), but sold it. Got it as a bonus (along with some Yamaha Factory ROM cartridges - in their original boxes too!) when I bought a TX802.

This one: https://www.instagram.com/p/COI5BKphPTX/

Also, if you dig 1980's PSR arrangers, the PSR-36 (from 1988) was a neat one - it was an actual (limited) "programmable" FM synth.

Thank you for the kind words, you guys.

@ABECK - thank you! That instagram is probably where I post the most interesting stuff these days.

@nursers - thank you for taking the time to listen!

@BRW - that"s the thing that allows RAM1 carts to be used in RAM4/5 slots right?

And yeah! The PSR-36 is on my radar, just to have the real-time sliders like the PSS-4xx series but with full-sized keys and MIDI!

Yamaha gear from that era:

TX-816

TX-802

TX-7

TX-81Z

RX-17 (Not working

D-5000 delay

Had a DX-7D a long time ago which I sold when

I got the TX-816

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

@BRW - that"s the thing that allows RAM1 carts to be used in RAM4/5 slots right?

And yeah! The PSR-36 is on my radar, just to have the real-time sliders like the PSS-4xx series but with full-sized keys and MIDI!

The ADP1 adapter made it possible to use MK1 DX7 ROM cartridges in a DX7-IIF/D, otherwise they wouldn't fit. And I think also the TX802?

I still have some of my 80s Yamaha gear. Sold an RX-15 and RX-21L when I got the RX-5. Also had a couple of Yamaha powered mixers.

RX-5

DX-7 w/E!

CP-35 (x2)

CS70M

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Had a TX-81z, an RX-11, an MV802 channel rack mixer that blew up, and still have my trusty KX5, "Ramona." I was at Indiana University in '77 when John Chowning came to demonstrate early FM that would become the DX line.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it