Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Stage 3 vs. the rest

Gigged a Roland FA06, then a Nord Electro 6D, and now a Yamaha MODX6 for the last few years (flying rig), but now in the post-Covid world I'll be based in one city, hence thinking of getting an SUV to schlep an 88 and a PA etc.

So, Nord Stage 3, or something else?

Nord Stage 3 - love the pianos, synth is solid, good but not great Hammond, really don't like the action though.

Roland Fantom 8 - love the synths, decent everything else. Heavy!

Korg Kronos 88 - hate the interface. Excellent libraries, though. Heavy-ish.

Yamaha Montage 8 - Don't really see the point when I have the MODX? Also very heavy.

Kurzweil something - any good?

Others?

I do a bit of everything, jazz gigs, corporate cover stuff, and a 70s Yacht Rock Tribute which has some complicated programming at times.

My thought is to augment the rig with my Hammond SK2 for more serious organ gigs, or my Korg Prologue for more serious synth gigs, or the Yamaha MODX6 if I require serious programming firepower, but obviously just bringing one board would be ideal.

Aynsley Green Trio - Caravan

Upper: Sequential OB6 or Roland Fantom 06

Lower: Nord Stage 4 Compact or Yamaha YC88

Sometimes: Hammond SK2, Roland System 8, Roland SH2, Roland SE-02, Roland JX-08, Korg Prologue 16

There"s a Korg Kronos variant with new interface out called Nautilus you should go play and see what you think compared to NS3. 88k is hammer weighted, they chose to use a synth semi-weight action on the 73k version.

Also check out Kurzweil Forte - they offer weighted hammer action in both an 88k and 76k versions. The PC4 88 key is capable as well. PC4-7 is a 76k synth action.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Well, you owned the Electro 6. Did you like the Hammond organ modeling, or perhaps not? The Stage 3 is practically the same Hammond model (assuming you've done all the firmware updates)

I think the Hammond organ on the Nords are world class. And their pianos, sample library, and the A1 synth engine are all magnificent. It's an excellent instrument, but overpriced.

(I also love the Kurzweil organs and all their onboard instruments, although they feel a bit dates sometimes.) I would go between those two. The Nautilus is excellent too, if you're using the SK for Hammond modeling...Korg's Hammond model needs a desperate Chrous/Vibrato update right away!

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

If I could live with the Nord C2D model as my 'main Hammond', I'd go for the Stage Compact and schlep an 88 controller...but I can't betray my beloved Hammond SK2. Yes, the Nord is the best clonewheel from the 'Big 4' - I've used it on pop records and it works, but for heavier stuff like gospel/jazz it just lacks that midrange grit. You can hear me struggle with said mid-range on the back end of this tune:

Still, nice to have a more-than-usable clonewheel in the one megaboard (albeit minus drawbars and waterfall action, on the 88!)

Sometimes: Hammond SK2, Roland System 8, Roland SH2, Roland SE-02, Roland JX-08, Korg Prologue 16

I've not played a Fantom, but a consistently reported disappointment has been the lack of a clonewheel engine. I'm understanding the organs to be of the standard rompler variety.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

If it's the Supernatural organ engine, same as on the FA06, it is modelled. Usable with some tweaking, but probably about par with the Korg CX3 engine. The Montage still has Rompler Organs, probably it's biggest weakness.

The Nord is great at what it does, but it won't do everything. The sample-based (non-piano) sounds are single-velocity-layer and you can only run two of them simultaneously. Fixed pitch bend. Fixed split points. If you're doing the kind of slick pop stuff in your video above, I think you'll need more firepower.

How about MODX8 instead of Montage 8, or FA08 instead of Fantom? Add your Hammond for better organ.

Kurzweil is looking pretty good - if I'm honest the K2700 looks perfect for this kind of gig, but it's heavy. PC4-8 for a lighter alternative.

Cheers, Mike.

If it's the Supernatural organ engine, same as on the FA06, it is modelled. Usable with some tweaking, but probably about par with the Korg CX3 engine. The Montage still has Rompler Organs, probably it's biggest weakness.

AFAIK, Fantom does not (yet?) have the SN Organ engine, so they are still basically, as you put it, rompler organs. But you could possibly also address that with even just the $14 VB3m on a smartphone.

Fixed pitch bend.

They added programmable pitch bend in one of the OS updates.

My thought is to augment the rig with my Hammond SK2 for more serious organ gigs, or my Korg Prologue for more serious synth gigs, or the Yamaha MODX6 if I require serious programming firepower, but obviously just bringing one board would be ideal.

To be able to do everything on a single hammer action 88, and without it being heavy (which you listed as negatives about the Fantom, etc.), my first choice would be Kurzweil PC4. Compared to the others you listed (NS3, Fantom, Kronos, Montage), action and interface are not the strongest (more below). But it's light, sounds good, and is plenty flexible, including as a MIDI controller (for supplementing its sounds with those form an iPad or whatever, to more often avoid having to bring that second board).

As for the others you mentioned,

... Nord is quickest for programming new sounds (albeit within its more limited capabilities), has best organs and arguably best pianos, and is most suitable for real-time sound tweaking.

... Montage would be very duplicative of MODX, but some people actually prefer duplication because of not having to learn two different boards and to have backup where either board can entirely duplicate the other. Alternatively, if that's not what you'd want, you could conceivably sell the MODX to help finance the Montage. Also, you could consider a MODX8 instead of a Montage 8 which, as you say, is very similar and that would address the Montage's travel weight problem.

... I haven't played Fantom. It looks great, and I'd seriously consider that if weight were not an issue.

... Kronos can handle about anything. I really don't like the 88's action which, to me, feels worse than the same action in their SV2, or probably the actions in any of the other boards mentioned here (including the Kurzweil PC4), though I imagine others may disagree.

You mentioned not liking the Kronos interface, but each board can have interface pros and cons depending on which board you're comparing to and what it is you're trying to do. I'd categorize the Kronos interface this way, in terms of some common operations:

... for creating a new single sound from scratch (or editing a factory sound to make it your own), I'd probably put Nord and Fantom at the top of this list, Kronos and Montage/MODX in the middle (with different things that are easier or harder), PC4 at the bottom.

... for assembling/manipulating splits and layers, Kronos is probably a notch above the Montage/MODX due to the quick split/layer function, and avoiding the complication of multi-part single instrument sounds. PC4 seems a bit simpler to me than Kronos for this stuff, and I expect that Fantom probably is as well. Nord is easy, but within a very limited palette of options.

... for live patch selection, Kronos Set List tops the list. Then Yamaha Live Set (and, I expect, Roland Fantom about the same), then Kurzweil, then Nord.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I haven't seen Yamaha YC88 mentioned yet. Slots in similarly to the NS at a significantly lower price point. Both give you an immediacy of controls, and in that sense the YC could be considered a bit of a NS copycat. YC organ has the weak leslie sim and no knobby synth, but I'd slightly prefer the Yamaha pianos and definitely prefer the key action over the NS.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Good point, Adan, about the YC88, and also, CP88. They're still too heavy to cart around for my taste, but lighter than Fantom/Montage/Kronos, and they have possibly the best action of all the boards mentioned. OTOH, they are the only ones with virtually no sound editability (e.g. extremely minimal envelope, filter, or modulation controls). But if I could deal with 40-ish lbs and pretty much just needed it for the most common ("bread and butter") sounds, I would seriously look here as well.

I actually prefer the operational ergonomics of the CP88 over the YC88, but you do lose some things, too. The funny thing is that organ--the most immediately obvious difference between them--would not be the biggest deciding factor to me, because until they fix the Leslie, my feeling is, if the organ needs of a gig are minimal, I could manage with the couple of organ sounds in the CP, and if I really need a good organ, ATM, the YC wouldn't satisfy me anyway. If you need above average organ, you could add something like VB3m to either one. At that point, the difference is the live drawbar control, but I don't really need that for most gigs... and if the gig is so organ-intensive that I really want those drawbars, I'm not going to want to be be playing that gig's organ on a hammer action board like these anyway. (Though I understand where some others may look at these boards and decide the CP's organ is not good enough, but the YC's is.)

As for YC88 vs NS3, I recently posted about that in post #3100922 at https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3100922/re-yamaha-yc88-im-hooked#Post3100922 - to which I would add one more variable here, that many (not all) of the sounds can also be found in the OP's MODX. But the whole way you work with the board is obviously very different.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Fixed pitch bend.

They added programmable pitch bend in one of the OS updates.

You're kidding. When they take away fixed split points, we'll have nothing to complain about.

Cheers, Mike.

I guess I"m in the minority in that I like Nord"s way of handling split points. On the NS3 88, there are 10 split points to choose from, resulting in 11 keyboard zones. Each split point is readily identified with a lit LED. I have over a hundred presets programmed by song title arranged by set lists. No way I"m going to remember exactly where all those splits are when I"m onstage without those LEDs. For me, it"s a worthwhile trade-off having easily identified split points when going between multiple presets live.

• Like 1
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

I do a bit of everything, jazz gigs, corporate cover stuff, and a 70s Yacht Rock Tribute which has some complicated programming at times.

FWIW, I am also in a 70's Yacht Rock Tribute and I gig with two NS3s. I understand what you mean by "complicated programming." 90%+ of the songs we play require splits/layers/morphs and many require multiple programs.

The NS3 hits all of the following for me:

- Creating the sounds I want.

- Assigning the sounds to splits and layers.

- Setting up Morphs to control the sounds in real time.

- Arranging the programs for different parts of each song.

- Playability of the keybed.

I realize that workflow, sound creation, performance capabilities, and keybed preference are personal, but for me, the NS3 checks the most important boxes.

Also, it's nice to hear from other musicians and sound techs telling me that I've nailed the sounds and parts for the songs we do, or they're thinking the band uses tracks because there's no way such a wide variety of sounds can come from the two keyboards.

The lack of velocity switching for samples has not been an issue for me. I find a lot of flexibility in expression by modifying the attack and freqency filter based upon velocity. Of course, you have the MODX if you really need velocity switching.

For playing live, I can't think of a better fit for what I prefer. I'm not sure what I'd get if the NS3 wasn't available and I had to replace what I have.

Some additional notes:

- The free Piano and Sample libraries are a big deal.

- The Nord User Forum has a library of user-created, shared samples and programs for songs that you can use as-is or download and tweak.

- The drawbars on the NS3C are a significant upgrade over the buttons on the NS3-88 for dialing in the organ sounds.

- The fixed split points aren't a major issue for me. The lights over the split points are necessary as I would never be able to recall the split points for every song. There is a controller out there that has lights over every key, so who knows if Clavia will adapt a similar solution in the future.

- I wish there was an easier way than Nord Sound Manager and a computer to update the order of a lot of Songs (doing a few is easy through the front panel). This weekend we have three shows which are 4 hours, 90 minutes, and 4 hours. Before the second and third gigs, I will have to unpack and connect both keyboards to update them, or bring my computer with me to each gig.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

You're kidding. When they take away fixed split points, we'll have nothing to complain about.
There's always the color...

I guess I"m in the minority in that I like Nord"s way of handling split points. On the NS3 88, there are 10 split points to choose from, resulting in 11 keyboard zones. Each split point is readily identified with a lit LED. I have over a hundred presets programmed by song title arranged by set lists. No way I"m going to remember exactly where all those splits are when I"m onstage without those LEDs. For me, it"s a worthwhile trade-off having easily identified split points when going between multiple presets live.
The lights over the split points are necessary as I would never be able to recall the split points for every song.

I like the lights too. Some people don't see as much benefit, I think, because at least when using splits, they play very structured parts. For example, a brass line is always the exact same brass line, note for note. So you don't have to see exactly where the split is, since with or without the light, every note of that line will have the right sound. It becomes more problematic if you play more improvisationally, don't always play the exact same voicings, etc... then you DO need to be sure you don't select a note that's out of range.

The other issue is sometimes just not being able to put a split exactly where you want it, thereby "wasting" keys that could be usefully used for a different sound. The one that bit me is that I had a song where I wanted to trigger some custom samples, but I insist that my organ sound go up to include a high C. I would have put my samples on the top keys of the 73. But in order to put samples there, I would have lost the organ's top C, because the only split option was just below the C. I actually wanted a "silent" D, and samples on one or more of the remaining keys. But as soon as you allow the keyboard to play a high C on the organ, the lack of any split point above that means you can't prevent organ from playing on all the higher-than-C keys.

I wish there was an easier way than Nord Sound Manager and a computer to update the order of a lot of Songs (doing a few is easy through the front panel). This weekend we have three shows which are 4 hours, 90 minutes, and 4 hours. Before the second and third gigs, I will have to unpack and connect both keyboards to update them, or bring my computer with me to each gig.

Maybe consider using an iPad to create your re-orderable song lists, where choosing the next song sends the desired Program Change to the Nord...?

You can use whatever you want across this general purpose description. It's 2021 and these are all going to sound good in a band context.

I'm not sure what corporate cover stuff means exactly and what you have to program, but Nord Stage 3 doesn't have a sequencer. There's nothing that has been mentioned here that isn't perfectly usable for a jazz gig, pop cover band or yacht rock that isn't going to sound fine with a good band and good equipment.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I like the lights too. Some people don't see as much benefit, I think, because at least when using splits, they play very structured parts. For example, a brass line is always the exact same brass line, note for note. So you don't have to see exactly where the split is, since with or without the light, every note of that line will have the right sound. It becomes more problematic if you play more improvisationally, don't always play the exact same voicings, etc... then you DO need to be sure you don't select a note that's out of range.

For me, it's stricly a memory issue in knowing in which octave to start playing, even though I play structured parts. I have 100+ programs and just about all of them have splits. Maybe I need to load up on the ginkgo biloba. :)

The other issue is sometimes just not being able to put a split exactly where you want it, thereby "wasting" keys that could be usefully used for a different sound. The one that bit me is that I had a song where I wanted to trigger some custom samples, but I insist that my organ sound go up to include a high C. I would have put my samples on the top keys of the 73. But in order to put samples there, I would have lost the organ's top C, because the only split option was just below the C. I actually wanted a "silent" D, and samples on one or more of the remaining keys. But as soon as you allow the keyboard to play a high C on the organ, the lack of any split point above that means you can't prevent organ from playing on all the higher-than-C keys.

I totally get it. In those cases, I either move the split point to the bottom, or create another program and activate it on my second board. It just doesn't happen enough for me to want to give up the lights, although I recall that in a different thread you had some good suggestions how open split points could be achieved by Clavia within the current constructs by changing the colors of the existing lights.

I wish there was an easier way than Nord Sound Manager and a computer to update the order of a lot of Songs (doing a few is easy through the front panel). This weekend we have three shows which are 4 hours, 90 minutes, and 4 hours. Before the second and third gigs, I will have to unpack and connect both keyboards to update them, or bring my computer with me to each gig.

Maybe consider using an iPad to create your re-orderable song lists, where choosing the next song sends the desired Program Change to the Nord...?

I might eventualy get to that, but my use case would make it more complicated because sometimes I want my boards on the same song, and other times on different songs as I hop between the two in medleys or songs that immediately follow each other. Currently, I keep the setlist songs for the night in order, then the unused songs are in alphabetical order at the end. Always worth thinking of ways to improve workflow, though.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

I've not played a Fantom, but a consistently reported disappointment has been the lack of a clonewheel engine. I'm understanding the organs to be of the standard rompler variety.

That was a major oversite on Roland's part. I like my Fantom 7 a lot; it covers a lot of territory . The amount of SN / 'ROMpler' and overall synth coverage is staggering. And the capabilities within a Scene are quite extensive - for internal and external parameters. That said, the initial lack of an clonewheel engine was a big 'oops'; Roland has as much admitted that, and claims that a dedicated organ engine is on the way...

There are a couple of clever programming types who have created passable solutions for now - using sine wave models, sliders and pads to create tonewheel Scenes. I've have one loaded in, but my NS3 and IK MM/Hammond B-3X aren't coming off the stage anytime soon..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Another possibility: The Kawai MP7SE? I must confess to never having heard it. I've had an MP6 for many years & love the Rhodes sound. The acoustic isn't bad either. I figured the MP7 would have added new features to the already fair amount on the MP6. The 6 has a fair amount of editability to its organ section but I've always used dedicated clonewheels for that so have rightly or wrongly limited myself to the "It ain'ta gonna be good enough" school of thinking on that issue. I just use mine for the bread & butter sounds so have never been that anxious to replace it with something newer. Again, I have no real knowledge of the MP7 but just pose it as another alternative to consider.

Recognising that any one board solution is always going to involve compromise, the NS3 is about the best you're going to get. It's also kind of the IBM of keyboards. For my own part, I've gone with two boards, but both lighter â MODX8 on the bottom, Electro 5D on the top. Either of them could get me through a gig on its own if one suffered a catastrophic failure â something to perhaps think about.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Recognising that any one board solution is always going to involve compromise, the NS3 is about the best you're going to get. It's also kind of the IBM of keyboards. For my own part, I've gone with two boards, but both lighter â MODX8 on the bottom, Electro 5D on the top. Either of them could get me through a gig on its own if one suffered a catastrophic failure â something to perhaps think about.

I take the potential catastrophic failure approach as well. My NS 3, 76 is set up to cover a few different gigs on its own - and often has (especially small stage jobs, etc.). But for the Jimmy Buffett tribute - which now involves travel over two hours, one way - I've been taking out my YC88 as well. And I've also discovered that the YC is able to cover a classic rock gig - with some moderately intense synth parts and layers. While I'm not enamored with its rotary speaker sim, the rest of the instrument is quite competitive with the Stage 3 (which in fairness does have a more versatile synth section). I think the YC's effects engine is stronger in some areas than that of the NS3.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I bought the NS3C as my do-it-all board across different bands and genres shortly after it came out. It has been great, really. Easy to program, easy to play, sounds great, sturdy build, wide sound coverage, fun, etc. Paired with a weighted controller, I'm good for most anything a bar band would want to play.

EDIT: now that I think about it, the NS3C has outlived all the bands that it's been in :)

The weakest part (for me) are things like solo horns, woodwinds and the like. Not a deal killer, but I wouldn't want to cover horn section parts all night with it.

It's time for a new board, as the current one has gotten a lot of use. I'm seriously considering getting another one -- keep the new one in the studio, gig with older one.

Every time I go looking at the newer crop of boards (all of which are ridiculously capable, BTW), I find myself thinking "gee, not sure I want to give up feature X, or feature Y" but at the same time admiring how they address some of the weak spots of the Nord.

And then I compare with what can be done on the iPad to fill in some gaps, and I say "well, that looks like the better route -- if I can get it all working reliably".

So that's the direction I'm working towards. I've got some great killer sounds now, but with a bit of added complexity and plan-ahead required. Right now, I'm debating the best way to control the setlist(s) -- Nord owns, or iPad owns.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

If not for the fact that I abhor trying to sell keyboards (locally sucks, and having to ship sucks) I still feel the pull of a Stage. Currently I have a Modx with b3x on an ipad, and a Summit. Definitely I'm covered but my dream rig would be a Stage for one-board gigs and add in the Summit for bigger ones (though of course I'd hardly need it considering the synth engine on the Nord). Probably I'd midi the two up so that I could play organ from the Summit for non-synth songs.

That's a LOT of cheddar though and frankly my current rig is plenty powerful and not that inconvenient to set up. One annoyance is that I'm fairly sure I can't use the Ipad from the Modx while also triggering Modx sounds from the Summit via mid (I'd like to do this to have the ipad organs on one keyboard and a piano on the other). The Modx only has a toggle for usb OR midi. Not a show stopper.

I had an electro and only sold it because I was going to upgrade to a Stage--then Covid hit and I couldn't justify it. Our gigs aren't nearly as thick as they were before.

I bought the NS3C as my do-it-all board across different bands and genres shortly after it came out. It has been great, really. Easy to program, easy to play, sounds great, sturdy build, wide sound coverage, fun, etc. Paired with a weighted controller, I'm good for most anything a bar band would want to play.

EDIT: now that I think about it, the NS3C has outlived all the bands that it's been in :)

The weakest part (for me) are things like solo horns, woodwinds and the like. Not a deal killer, but I wouldn't want to cover horn section parts all night with it.

It's time for a new board, as the current one has gotten a lot of use.

I agree with everything Chuck says - I'm running an NS2C which has never failed to deliver "sufficiently well" in the many circumstances it's been needed. It doesn't do everything perfectly, but as the heart of a rig that can be augmented if required, it's very strong. Unlike Chuck, I'm not looking to replace mine.

If I could find a hammer-action 7x-board to put underneath it, sub-30lb, not TP100 with strong orchestrals and good MIDI controller and slave functionality, I'd be tempted. (CP73 is probably the closest, but its use as a MIDI slave is limited. I'd have to run LOCAL OFF and play one sound at a time from it - routing MIDI in/out of the Nord as required. And I don't want to drop four figures on a board with those limitations).

Cheers, Mike.

If I could find a hammer-action 7x-board to put underneath it, sub-30lb, not TP100 with strong orchestrals and good MIDI controller and slave functionality, I'd be tempted. (CP73 is probably the closest, but its use as a MIDI slave is limited. I'd have to run LOCAL OFF and play one sound at a time from it - routing MIDI in/out of the Nord as required. And I don't want to drop four figures on a board with those limitations).
YC73 is more flexible than CP73 here. It's not done via MIDI channels, but check the manual under "External Keyboard" -- For each of your saved sound combinations (Live Sets), you can assign each of the three parts (Keys A, Keys B, Organ) to either the internal or external keys (and for organ, you can choose to route upper and lower manuals separately).

Thanks Scott - very true, but it feels silly to drop extra $$$ over the CP73 for an organ model I'm unlikely to use in preference to the Nord's. I believe the YC also has extra (non-piano, non-organ) sounds over the CP, but it gets expensive. If I'm going to drop $2k on a board, I would want to use it to the full.

Cheers, Mike.

I believe the YC also has extra (non-piano, non-organ) sounds over the CP

Yes, it has more sounds, including FM sounds which are actually generated via FM (as opposed to, e.g. the sampled FM electric piano you'd get on the CP). There's also more in the way of amp simulations, effects options, and synth functions (mono mode and portamento). Though there are also ways the CP is better, too.

You don't have access to the FM operators directly do you? It's a preset FM machine.

Correct. It has 28 FM sounds (not counting the transistor organs, which are also generated via FM). You cannot edit the operators. Of course, on an original DX7, the vast majority of people never edited the operators, and an awful lot never played anything outside its factory 32 presets. ;-)